Home

Passing Game Is Broken: Community Repair Project

This is a discussion on Passing Game Is Broken: Community Repair Project within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Passing Game Is Broken: Community Repair Project

I have refrained from posting this for enough time to get plenty of time with both NCAA and Madden 12. I can no longer take the passing game this year. There is so much wrong with the defensive reactions that they SERIOUSLY need to look into major tunings.

This is not a bash EA or bash NCAA or Madden thread, lets get that straight out in the open. Everyone post how to fix this issue and where the issues are. We need to give the developers detailed insight into what is wrong.

Ok now down to business.

1) Defensive Reaction Time - Defenders are reacting still even after tuner update and second patch extremely to fast. This is highly noticeable on passes over middle of field, with linebacker only 5 to 10 yards from QB and moment he tries to attempt pass in middle. The linebackers will react at super human speeds to get in position to bat or intercept pass. Now this happens across all defenders but it is extremely noticeable in middle of field. Windows for passes close way to quick.

Solution - Awareness rating tied to reaction time needs to be much looser. Zones will see men jumping routes little more often if in position. But man covered should not result in the amount of jumped routes. Global delay needs to be implemented.

2) Defenders Warping & No cuts - Defenders in both Madden and NCAA are not under the same laws as receivers are which results in defenders having large advantage over the receivers in closing on the ball. This leaves receivers struggling to get separation far to much. I am not sure if EA is aware of this, but I think it seriously needs to be seen. It is a big issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4kNu...&feature=feedu

Solution - Defenders need cutting animations also.

3) Blanket Coverage - Every cornerback in both Madden and NCAA play as if they went to school on Revis Island. It is unreal how little separation receivers get on play after play after play. Once in 70 plays might you see a receiver get open by more than 5 yards or so. But even this is generally from poor play call or play action actually working for a change. Now the above two fixes will greatly help this and cause this issue to fade. But the end goal is we need to see speed and reaction times matter MUCH more.

Solution - Greater reaction times. Greater speed difference.....aka stretch ratings.

4) Pass rush - I like the speed of the pass rush this year. It is to be feared and bringing the heat feels dangerous. The issue is when you have these big issues with the coverage game. It results in a lot of rushed throws, which will result in A LOT of interception. Not completely because you are being rushed. But because you can shell out and send 8 and cover the WR man on man 90% of the time. You might get beat here or there but the average amount you will come out with the CB playing like Revis. So this equals to more sacks for QB, more INTS, and a bad experience for passing game.

Add in the fact the play action fake rarely works and is pretty much pointless to use if they are blitzing because most of the time the defenders read QB and will make sack more often than not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall
These issues existed in NCAA 11, we can all remember the physic DBs. They patched and tuned the game to a MUCH better representation of the passing game than what is currently in 12. I did a short video showing the reaction times of the passing game in 11 and it was surprisingly good after all the tuners and patches.

Here is video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NNO-3WNn1E

So with all that said. Lets throw together our minds like it was a community day event and come up with "what is wrong, how we fix it" approach. I am liking the game a bunch this year. But the passing game is the only area that makes me want to throw my controller through the TV.

Last edited by Phobia; 09-17-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
Rookie

bccards13's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Passing Game Is Broken: Community Repair Project

You're basically taking the dead horse every ones been beating and hitting the other side of it. Something tells me this thread will be closed soon.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
Pro

mWolfe's Arena

OVR: 7

Try this post to help rerate your defense to play better

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...d.php?t=494915

Just don't expect much from EA right now as I'm sure they are getting slammed from complaints.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29

two things kill the passing game in EA football. The biggest is lack of touch and pass variation. Its near impossible to complete a streak or post route in stride due too the programming of the pass arcs/speeds. Nearly ever completed pass the WR does an animation that slows them down because the pass is never where it SHOULD be, even with 99 THP/99 THA QB's.

Second, after doing ratings changes you see the game open up some, but the players are rated TOO high in their play recognition and coverage ratings overall. This is college football. Not everyone has NFL level coverage skills, and players run WIDE OPEN often. NCAA on default (and even with modified pass coverage sliders) you never have recievers running free.

I think we all should get together and at least implore Tiburon to go in an focus on opening up the passing game. Hell even if they just bring back Maximum passing from back in the day it would be great.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #5
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
1) Defensive Reaction Time - Defenders are reacting still even after tuner update and second patch extremely to fast. This is highly noticeable on passes over middle of field, with linebacker only 5 to 10 yards from QB and moment he tries to attempt pass in middle. The linebackers will react at super human speeds to get in position to bat or intercept pass. Now this happens across all defenders but it is extremely noticeable in middle of field. Windows for passes close way to quick.

Solution - Awareness rating tied to reaction time needs to be much looser. Zones will see men jumping routes little more often if in position. But man covered should not result in the amount of jumped routes. Global delay needs to be implemented.

2) Defenders Warping & No cuts - Defenders in both Madden and NCAA are not under the same laws as receivers are which results in defenders having large advantage over the receivers in closing on the ball. This leaves receivers struggling to get separation far to much. I am not sure if EA is aware of this, but I think it seriously needs to be seen. It is a big issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4kNu...&feature=feedu

Solution - Defenders need cutting animations also.
I'm glad you didn't say the DBs were "mirroring/running the receivers routes before them" when they aren't for the most part. I've been saying it since last year that the main problem was the fact that there are no DB slow down animations. Even if the DB reacts a few steps late, he can immediately recover and be in much better position than the receiver.

In regards to reaction time, I also agree. There is also one other thing that needs to be added: Jumping animations need an upgrade. For some reason, EA sports never has anyone bend their knees to jump. The best looking jump is probably the Defensive Lineman swat down when they are running right at the QB (though that one happens way too fast as well).

Passing trajectory itself needs an upgrade as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2011, 01:40 AM   #6
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia

So with all that said. Lets throw together our minds like it was a community day event and come up with "what is wrong, how we fix it" approach. I am liking the game a bunch this year. But the passing game is the only area that makes me want to throw my controller through the TV.
I can take your entire post and provide a two word answer to fix all of these problems: New Engine.

Until EA gets a new engine and completely over hauls their games, these problems will exist. Guess we'll see in 2017 or whenever PS4 and XBox 720 come out...

Old 09-17-2011, 03:01 AM   #7
Pro

mWolfe's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death
I can take your entire post and provide a two word answer to fix all of these problems: New Engine.

Until EA gets a new engine and completely over hauls their games, these problems will exist. Guess we'll see in 2017 or whenever PS4 and XBox 720 come out...
I think we can look forward to having the new Xbox and PlayStation out in 2014 because they will want to keep pace with Nintendo that should come out the last quarter of 2012 or first quarter in 2013. It wouldn't be wise for them to wait, but you can be sure they will watch how the WII 2 does in the market at release time.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Death

Listen, most of us understand this engine we'll be stuck with until the next generation of consoles. But the ENTIRE reason tuners were invented is so EA can tweak the game server side and not require patches. So giving clear response on what needs improved and how to improve it is how this thread should go.

Everyone please don't do the "jabs" at EA. It is old and not what this thread is intended for.

@Tracer - You are right about the jumping. Players can jump instantly with no gather. This can't be fix since it is a animation issue but you are right this needs looking into.

@Lions - You hit the nail on the head about the ratings. The ratings need a bigger stretch.

@Wolf - Ratings adjustments are fine for the extreme that wanna go that route. But the simple fact is most of us like to enjoy the dynasty feature and having 2500 recruits coming in each year makes this a nightmare of a issue. The correct fix is EA to use the tuner to employ their own global adjustments to fix these issues.

Good stuff so far guys. I am heading out of town today, but when I get back Sunday. I am going to see if I can get a video in with two teams with exaggerated ratings. Just to give a idea what might be possible.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »