Home

Anyone else noticing "Blitz" style CPU momentum in this game?

This is a discussion on Anyone else noticing "Blitz" style CPU momentum in this game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
LFK
Rookie

OVR: 0
Anyone else noticing "Blitz" style CPU momentum in this game?

Call me crazy, but I'm noticing alot of it.

Remember the game, Blitz, by Midway? Remember how no matter how high you ran up the score, the cpu always seemed to find a way to make a miraculous comeback every single time to take the game down to the wire? Almost as if it applied a cheat code to itself.

Quite a few times now with NCAA '12 I'm noticing the same type of thing going on.

I'm playing UNC as Louisville. I spend the entire game running the table. My defense stops them every time, holding them to a FG or forcing a punt. I'm up by more than three full touchdowns by the time the 4th qtr winds down to the 3 min mark. Suddenly, UNC becomes super strong on offense, marching down to the end zone in three plays. They go for an onside kick and get it back. Then, same thing happens. They march their way down to the end zone and score again. My defense seemingly goes from A+ to C- in an instant. By now, I'm only up by a few points. Here's where I call BS. They go for an onside kick again -- and GET IT AGAIN! No matter what I did both times I didn't stand a chance in recovering the ball. They march down the field again and thankfully, by the grace of god, the clock runs out on them before they punch it in again and steal the game.

I've had several other games where similar things happen. Reminds me why I quit playing Blitz. CPU just decides to give itself a full shot of momentum and you watch as the tables are turned and there's nothing you can do sometimes.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Anyone else noticing "Blitz" style CPU momentum in this game?

Thats what I call EA Gods
Old 09-24-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
Banned

Greybaby55's Arena

It happens to me too.
It usually does it at the end of the 2nd and the end of the 4th.
So I did an experiment, and played on freshman and the same exact thing happened.
I'm murking them bad, but when they get the ball within 2 minutes of the end of the 2nd or 4th quarter, they just start trucking down the field making all kinds of crazy plays and the CPU won't guard anybody. So I have to do all the work to try and stop them.
I've seen this in a lot of games though. Like Madden.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 5

I'm not seeing this at all
Old 09-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
Rookie

This is generally called "Rubberband AI" in gaming: where the AI gets a sudden boost if you're winning near the end of the match, or when the AI starts picking it's own *** when it's up big. Most well seen in Racing games, but yes, this game has it out the *** on Varsity--Which is the second reason I'm hesitant to move up the skill level.

I can be shutting out Ole Miss through the 3rd quarter (as Auburn, 16-17 years in), and when that fourth quarter lighting hits, WHAM, Ole Miss drops 3 touchdowns in the final 8 minutes--all on my starting defense. I think it also kicks in during games where one team has been on a losing streak--0-8 teams always seem to pose a bigger threat than those 4-4, 5-3 teams do. This one is at least understandable, but the rest is just "lol wut".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Pro

Kcordloh's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanFlare
This is generally called "Rubberband AI" in gaming: where the AI gets a sudden boost if you're winning near the end of the match, or when the AI starts picking it's own *** when it's up big. Most well seen in Racing games, but yes, this game has it out the *** on Varsity--Which is the second reason I'm hesitant to move up the skill level.

I can be shutting out Ole Miss through the 3rd quarter (as Auburn, 16-17 years in), and when that fourth quarter lighting hits, WHAM, Ole Miss drops 3 touchdowns in the final 8 minutes--all on my starting defense. I think it also kicks in during games where one team has been on a losing streak--0-8 teams always seem to pose a bigger threat than those 4-4, 5-3 teams do. This one is at least understandable, but the rest is just "lol wut".
I have always called them momentum swings. NCAA 2012 doesn't seem to have it as bad as NCAA 2011, but then I am still a DC in my primary dynasty so maybe I just don't see it nearly as much.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I feel like it's worse in this game than in last years. But most of my games have been in my offensive coordinator dynasty so I feel helpless against it.

On rare occasions I have gotten fed up with it and put my pass coverage slider all the way up to 100. If they were supposed to win then they would have stopped my offense. They shouldn't have to resort to cheating. It makes you feel like defense doesn't matter in this game.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
LFK
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardin
If they were supposed to win then they would have stopped my offense. They shouldn't have to resort to cheating. It makes you feel like defense doesn't matter in this game.

Exactly how I feel.

I know it's a game and challenge is good, but if you've conquered the challenges of establishing control of the game, running an effective offense, shutting them down on D, and build a comfortable lead toward the end of the game -- your reward at that point is coasting to a well-deserved victory. When the AI decides to throw all that out the window and become a different team in an instant, it isn't fair.

Had another issue last night where I was ahead two scores with the time winding down. Running the ball and burning some clock. Of course, FUMBLE. Opponent immediately recovers and scores. I get back out there, constantly switching between 3 different running backs so neither of their stamina wears down, trying to avoid risking another drop. Of course the D of this 1-5 team is in total beast mode now and I find I'm having to go for it on 4th down so they don't get the ball back and steal the game. What happens next? You guessed it -- FUMMMMMMMMMMMBLE!!!!!!!!!!! Opponent recovers, then Herbstreit is like "Wow, what a turn of events!" Yea, really.

I squeak out of there with a win, and the headline back at the Dynasty menu says: "The Cardinals barely escape from South Florida." Whatever. I owned that game till the AI's god mode kicked in.

I also noticed another game where the pre-match headline was: "Anything less than a blowout will be a disappoint for Cardinal fans." As soon as I read that I had a feeling this 0-3 team was gonna be Peyton Manning and Adrian Peterson. They were. Game was a dog fight all the way down to the wire. I could not get any momentum going whatsoever. Then two weeks later I check the team's record to see not only have they lost two more games, they were badly one-sided losses to lesser teams.

And finally, on the flip side, my first season I managed to make it to the Sugar Bowl against #3 Boise St. and was expecting to get killed, as my team was in a rebuilding year. I destroyed them, 59-27.

The game doesn't need crap like this.

Last edited by LFK; 09-25-2011 at 11:44 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »