Home

Strong/Weak Side Defenders

This is a discussion on Strong/Weak Side Defenders within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Strong/Weak Side Defenders

Is there any way, using formation subs or audibles, to set weak side and strong side defenders?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Strong/Weak Side Defenders

I have not found a way. If the computer flips the TE then your D will not adjust. EA wants to make their game where a person with little to no knowledge about football can play them. That is why we see the ROLB/LOLB in place of the Will, Mike, and Sam Lb's.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

yea as a D coordinator myself its frustrating that the defense doesn't adjust to the strength. Granted teams call the strength based on different things and each team is different. Some teams call the strength based on the TE, others possibly the Twins side, etc. but if its a basic I formation the cpu doesn't adjust the D to the strong side so you have to flip the play yourself.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Unfortunately no. The entire depth chart system needs to be revamped. I'd love to be able to have an Anchor and Open/Rush Defensive End and a Sam and Will linebacker, even a Free/Strong/Rover safety in 4-2-5.

Usually what I just end up doing is using DE/LB/DB flip to get my stronger defenders on the wide side of the field while my faster defenders are on the weak side. My thought process being, the stronger defenders will disrupt the blocks to that side and string a run play wide, allowing the quicker players to cover ground and bring them down. So if the ball is on the left hash, I'll get my Anchor Defensive End, the strongest DE with the best power move at left end (on the right side of the offense) while my quicker end is on the offenses left.

In the 4-2-5, which is what I am going back to running, I do the same with my safeties. My run stopping, stronger, slightly slower safety goes to the wide side of the field while my quicker safety goes to the weak.

It isn't perfect and to be honest, there are times when it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but it helps a little in the run game, especially against people running option/power O/stretch.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
Rookie

Another question; what if I used Under and Over formation subs and audibles? So say I put my Sam and Strong side End on the right in the 4-3 Under, and then simply put everyone on the opposite side in the 4-3 Over. I then set an audible for both formations, so I would have Cover 2 Sink (Over) and Cover 2 Sink (Under) at the ready for example. I come out in a 4-3 Under, offense switches strength sides, and I audible to the 4-3 Over Cover 2 Sink.

Would my backers and ends actually switch sides or just slide over like they do now if you flip the play?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #6
Rookie

WipeOut464's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFB13
Another question; what if I used Under and Over formation subs and audibles? So say I put my Sam and Strong side End on the right in the 4-3 Under, and then simply put everyone on the opposite side in the 4-3 Over. I then set an audible for both formations, so I would have Cover 2 Sink (Over) and Cover 2 Sink (Under) at the ready for example. I come out in a 4-3 Under, offense switches strength sides, and I audible to the 4-3 Over Cover 2 Sink.

Would my backers and ends actually switch sides or just slide over like they do now if you flip the play?
I don't think so. They'll most likely just slide gaps from Over to Under. It would've been a good idea though.

NCAA: Georgia
NFL: San Francisco
MLB: ZZZzzzzzz...

Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIFB13

Interesting!!! Try it out and report back
Old 10-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #8
Rookie

No good, they just slide over like if you flip the play. Oh well, maybe next year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »