Home

Would Notre Dame join Big East if BC and Pitt asked??

This is a discussion on Would Notre Dame join Big East if BC and Pitt asked?? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you, the ND Athletic Director, accept an invite from the Big East? (read post)
Yeah that sounds like a marriage made in heaven 2 3.85%
Yes, but only if I am assured a game with both Pitt and BC every year 3 5.77%
Yes, but I want say in the last two teams to join the conference 4 7.69%
Maybe, I want to wait and see if Navy would join me 2 3.85%
Absolutely not. We'll be fine on our own 41 78.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Would Notre Dame join Big East if BC and Pitt asked??

Good post dymndheartkilla. I'll start out by giving some insight on the future plan of college conferences and then I'll jump into talking about your scenario.

College coaches and athletic directors at the "football" programs have been speaking behind closed doors for years about finding a way to ditch NCAA what I call the "Home Owners Association" of college football. Their plan is to build 4 superconferences. These superconferences will be built of 16 teams. The teams that are left out will be the schools that aren't able to bring money to the table and money is the television audience. If a team is not in one of these conferences when they are finally formed then they will not have a shot at the national title. The only way they could work into the bcs bowl picture or national title game would be to hope for a team to be removed from a superconference creating an opening. This plan and idea will remove all power from the NCAA organization and give the power to the 4 conferences. They will monitor themselves and dictate what the rules are. Each conference could potentially have different rules. The 4 strongest conference right now that are trying to push for this are: PAC 12, SEC, ACC and BIG TEN.

Now to your scenario and Notre Dame. Big Ten is the best place for them cause that's their region, that's their rivals and that's where they would rule the money and have the most power.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #18
Pro

The only way I make that move is if Penn State leaves the Big 10 and goes to the Big East.
And frankly Nebraska should be in the Big 12, regardless of current situation.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #19
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8

Not even if the Big East gave ND the entire monetary allotment for the conference, no chance ever.

There is a reason ND has "A" prestige for conference as an independent - they have their own TV deal, their own BCS deal, there is simply no chance in a million years they take that deal.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
Rookie

Pandetta, I agree with you if you mix this scenario with what's going on in college football today. Notre Dame and their AD know that the goal of the major colleges are to weaken and then leave the NCAA. The only possible way to do that would be to create 4 conferences of 16 teams. The desire is to have the best 64 football programs in this new college football format but if a few are left out, oh well. Jack knows that if Notre Dame doesn't make a move to grab a spot then Notre Dame could lose the automatic BCS bid and the networks would pass on them to sign deals with these super conferences. If Notre Dame remains independent when or if all of this comes true, the other big time schools wont care. Why should they, there would be enough big name schools without ND so the money will still come in and they will have successfully left the NCAA.

I'm giving away my allegiance in saying this, I don't ever want to see Notre Dame join a conference. They may not compare to their past but I watch in agony every year with hope that they will again build a winning program. Stir up the echos!

How about this scenario, it will never happen but I'd like to see it. To start, we all know the NCAA is weak. The Miami news showed us how useless their governing body is. I would bet that there are tons and loads of infractions that we never hear of and never will. Infractions are a norm in college football and we only ever hear of the ones that are hand picked or outed by an insider. The head of Miami's department was on the NCAA infraction committee which punished USC. He was even quoted saying that infractions like USC's can't go unnoticed and that the school should have done their job in monitoring their program. Strong words from a man who now is under the magnifying glass for the worst chain of infractions since SMU. With all of this, the NCAA should make changes to the rule book. Let's leave out our opinions on these college kids life choices. Some have kids, some commit crimes and ect. I'm not here to debate their actions. There are ridiculous rules though. Like, a player can receive a bagel or toast for free from the school as part of a breakfast meal but it's a violation if that school also provides free jam, jelly or cream cheese. How is that rule not ridiculous, right. The NCAA really needs to be that exact. Also, with the value of a dollar decreasing and prices rising the NCAA hasn't made changes to reflect that in regards to a students scholarship. Families can't afford what they could in the past and the NCAA hasn't taken that into account. They have met to rework the rule book and to reevaluate scholarships but they need to actually make changes to reflect the times. Say they make the changes and schools then become satisfied, that's step one in my hope. Step two is for the big time schools to go independent like Notre Dame. This will strengthen the independent status. Only schools with the staure of Notre Dame, Texas and so on could do this. They can then dictate the college football landscape each year.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:05 PM   #21
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

OP--

It sounds like you really want the answer to be "yes," but your poll results are pretty convincing.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #22
Rookie

dymndheartkilla's Arena

OVR: 1
Yeah. It'd make it easier for everyone in the OD. But it's hard to argue.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #23
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadia147
The only way I make that move is if Penn State leaves the Big 10 and goes to the Big East.
And frankly Nebraska should be in the Big 12, regardless of current situation.
That's how I feel about Nebraska. But everybody HATES Texas. It's creepy there in the Big 12.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:30 AM   #24
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustymuffler
Good post dymndheartkilla. I'll start out by giving some insight on the future plan of college conferences and then I'll jump into talking about your scenario.

College coaches and athletic directors at the "football" programs have been speaking behind closed doors for years about finding a way to ditch NCAA what I call the "Home Owners Association" of college football. Their plan is to build 4 superconferences. These superconferences will be built of 16 teams. The teams that are left out will be the schools that aren't able to bring money to the table and money is the television audience. If a team is not in one of these conferences when they are finally formed then they will not have a shot at the national title. The only way they could work into the bcs bowl picture or national title game would be to hope for a team to be removed from a superconference creating an opening. This plan and idea will remove all power from the NCAA organization and give the power to the 4 conferences. They will monitor themselves and dictate what the rules are. Each conference could potentially have different rules. The 4 strongest conference right now that are trying to push for this are: PAC 12, SEC, ACC and BIG TEN.

Now to your scenario and Notre Dame. Big Ten is the best place for them cause that's their region, that's their rivals and that's where they would rule the money and have the most power.
ND won't rule the money in the B1G. The second highest grossing collegiate sports program resides in Columbus. #1 in Austin and it may have flipped last year. PSU, OSU, and Mich will have more say than ND.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »