Home

Would Notre Dame join Big East if BC and Pitt asked??

This is a discussion on Would Notre Dame join Big East if BC and Pitt asked?? within the NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)
View Poll Results: Would you, the ND Athletic Director, accept an invite from the Big East? (read post)
Yeah that sounds like a marriage made in heaven 2 3.85%
Yes, but only if I am assured a game with both Pitt and BC every year 3 5.77%
Yes, but I want say in the last two teams to join the conference 4 7.69%
Maybe, I want to wait and see if Navy would join me 2 3.85%
Absolutely not. We'll be fine on our own 41 78.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Would Notre Dame join Big East if BC and Pitt asked??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
ND won't rule the money in the B1G. The second highest grossing collegiate sports program resides in Columbus. #1 in Austin and it may have flipped last year. PSU, OSU, and Mich will have more say than ND.
I see that Ohio State was 2nd back in 2008 as far as overall athletics. As for football only, they were 4th with Notre Dame at 5th with Michigan at 7th and Penn State in 9th. In 2010 OSU wasn't even in the top 12 teams for Revenue and Profit. Penn State, Notre Dame and Michigan were still in the top 12 last season. The fact is that Notre Dame remains consistent every year regarding money while those other programs fluctuate up and down each year. Notre Dame would be even higher if they actually won games. They are top 10 in money with a team that doesn't always play strong. Now imagine Notre Dame joining the B1G, they would then become part of the money pool of that conference and bringing one of the largest fan bases to that conference. Those other programs have good a good fan base but Notre Dame is by far on a separate level as far as the strength and dedication of fans around the world. That's without band wagon fans which come out when a team is winning. We all know where the huge media markets are located (Los Angeles, New York, ect.). Notre Dame is their own media market because of the size of their fan base. All of this equates to Notre Dame being the top dog in the B1G if they joined. Lastly, the history shows Notre Dame continuously turning down the B1G. The conference is bitter but they can't deny that Notre Dame would instantly make their conference a better media product than the SEC, PAC12 or any other conference.

Their are those who will read the above and not want to agree with any of it but the facts are out there, Notre Dame has been a top selling program and holds a huge fan base located not just in one region but across the world all while not winning on the field. Their current income is the base it only has room to grow if they become competitive each year.

Also, Texas is basically always #1 in the money which is why they should ditch the conference idea and go independent.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #26
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

I really doubt the Super Conferences would happen. No offense but if the answer is too easy, then chances are its not right.

ND probably wouldn't join the Big East, but in my dynasties thats at least where I ship them off to until I merge the Big 12 and Big East down the road and they go indy again or Big Ten.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagopax
I really doubt the Super Conferences would happen. No offense but if the answer is too easy, then chances are its not right.

ND probably wouldn't join the Big East, but in my dynasties thats at least where I ship them off to until I merge the Big 12 and Big East down the road and they go indy again or Big Ten.
I don't know if superconferences will ever happen and I don't know the chances of it. I have seen a number of articles where former coaches, athletic directors and "program's insiders" (unnamed sources) have said that the consensus is an unhappiness with the NCAA governing body. They want to leave the NCAA and the only way to do so would be in building powerful conferences with the top teams and then make the move to regulate themselves at the conference level which leaves the NCAA out of the picture. Money is where the power is. Football brings in the most money and the NCAA organization brings in zero dollars, the schools are the products that make the money. I don't know if you were saying that this sounds easy so then it isn't what's going to happen. To me this sounds difficult. They are all unhappy with the NCAA but the NCAA does one thing, they are an outside source which acts as a mediator for these schools. Can these schools agree on who should get what piece of the pie without a mediator, I don't know. They'll try but their egos may prevent the superconference idea. So I see it as a very difficult thing to accomplish. Plus, the schools that aren't a part of the 4 conference 64 team picture will put up a fight cause they don't want to become irrelevant. They want money as well and why would they allow the big boys to remove them from leeching money that they don't contribute to.

As for what you mentioned about Notre Dame, they will never join a conference unless they honestly feel that superconferences will happen. If a the superconferences happen then there goes their tv contract cause they'll be left out of the bcs bowl picture. Only the superconference teams will have a shot at the title, Notre Dame wont get the automatic bid anymore for winning a specific number of games. As long as they have an automatic bcs bid and a tv contract, they remain independent. Jack Swarbrick and Father Hesburgh have both stuck to that.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #28
Rookie

No way if ND joins a conference it will be 1) ACC or perhaps 2) B10

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NCAA Football »