Home

Passing help

This is a discussion on Passing help within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Passing help

I use default sliders and play on Heisman. I lab a lot, so that helps me out. All I can say is practice. It also depends on what playbook you're using as well. Try different ones. I think a multiple playbook is best. I like Oklahoma and I might try SMU's run and shoot in a lab session today. You've gotta put in time. Learn to recognize defenses too. Use hot routes and all of that.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Rookie

I used to be able to pass. Now there is some glitch where my QB doesn't even throw the ball in the area I'm targeting. I don't know if it's because I changed teams and put them in different conferences. First time doing that was in year 3 and now I am having this problem passing.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
Rookie

sebastiancane's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirt
I use default sliders and play on Heisman. I lab a lot, so that helps me out. All I can say is practice. It also depends on what playbook you're using as well. Try different ones. I think a multiple playbook is best. I like Oklahoma and I might try SMU's run and shoot in a lab session today. You've gotta put in time. Learn to recognize defenses too. Use hot routes and all of that.
Practice is way different from gameplay. During practice the psychic DBs and leaping LBs are not as prominent as they are during gameplay. That is why I adjust my sliders during gameplay.

Plus, how can your practice against psychic DBs and leaping LBs, or safeties that know where the ball is going without even looking at the ball or QB? How can practice against a CPU that reacts to you pushing the button and not the ball?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #12
Rookie

Passing you have to work on this game and you have to know your personnel.

There's no use trying to pass all over the field if you have a QB's who doesn't have a good arm. For example, I was using Nick Foles when starting this year's game. i was trying to pass like it was NCAA 11...nope that's not going to do, especially with the zone defenses being improved.

Instead I started to notice things I always look at. I look at the safeties. I look at the CB alignment.

For example, I had Juron Criner, a big physical WR on the outside. Many times when my opponent would bump him, he would break the bump and release behind the CB. Many times my 1st look would be to him especially if he's in single man to man bump n run coverage.

A QB's best friend is his TE and RB. Stay simple with routes you can complete. Drags with your TE and slants with your TE are the easy throws and ones you can complete the best. It's true here and in real life. Have your RB run routes from the backfield as a safety net...those are key.

WR routes I find easy to complete= curl routes (man cover), go route (bump n run), slant (mostly zone but man), in route (outside WR's), Post (slot WR/TE). I'd initially stick with these routes for those who need success early. These throws will help your passing game.

So in summary...

1- Know your QB. THA from 88> is good enough to have a nice consistent passing game.

2- Know your WR/TE/RB. Physical WR's on the outside are a factor in this game and they can get behind bump and run. Speed WR's can burn past slow CB's. Slot WR's and TE's are a QB's best friend and often use those for your 1st reads. RB's out the backfield are safety valves.

3- Know your coverage. Combined with the 1st two, you can find out if the other team is playing a zone or man, it helps to make YOU make easier reads and to look at what guys you should look for 1st and 2nd.

Hope this helps. It's all about practice and knowing your personnel 1st and foremost IMO.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiancane
Practice is way different from gameplay. During practice the psychic DBs and leaping LBs are not as prominent as they are during gameplay. That is why I adjust my sliders during gameplay.

Plus, how can your practice against psychic DBs and leaping LBs, or safeties that know where the ball is going without even looking at the ball or QB? How can practice against a CPU that reacts to you pushing the button and not the ball?
I meant practice against the cpu in a play now game. I play some of the toughest teams. Say for instance, I played Oklahoma at Oklahoma on heisman yesterday with the squiggly lines and all, I don't know what it's called for real - home field advantage? That's what I meant by practice or lab. You still get all your psychic and super defenders that way, unless I'm missing something.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #14
Banned

psychicDB's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogriffjr
Passing you have to work on this game and you have to know your personnel.

There's no use trying to pass all over the field if you have a QB's who doesn't have a good arm. For example, I was using Nick Foles when starting this year's game. i was trying to pass like it was NCAA 11...nope that's not going to do, especially with the zone defenses being improved.

Instead I started to notice things I always look at. I look at the safeties. I look at the CB alignment.

For example, I had Juron Criner, a big physical WR on the outside. Many times when my opponent would bump him, he would break the bump and release behind the CB. Many times my 1st look would be to him especially if he's in single man to man bump n run coverage.

A QB's best friend is his TE and RB. Stay simple with routes you can complete. Drags with your TE and slants with your TE are the easy throws and ones you can complete the best. It's true here and in real life. Have your RB run routes from the backfield as a safety net...those are key.

WR routes I find easy to complete= curl routes (man cover), go route (bump n run), slant (mostly zone but man), in route (outside WR's), Post (slot WR/TE). I'd initially stick with these routes for those who need success early. These throws will help your passing game.

So in summary...

1- Know your QB. THA from 88> is good enough to have a nice consistent passing game.

2- Know your WR/TE/RB. Physical WR's on the outside are a factor in this game and they can get behind bump and run. Speed WR's can burn past slow CB's. Slot WR's and TE's are a QB's best friend and often use those for your 1st reads. RB's out the backfield are safety valves.

3- Know your coverage. Combined with the 1st two, you can find out if the other team is playing a zone or man, it helps to make YOU make easier reads and to look at what guys you should look for 1st and 2nd.

Hope this helps. It's all about practice and knowing your personnel 1st and foremost IMO.
No offense but this is not a helpful post at all. Did you even read the OP? Dude was complaining about the horribly broken bugginess of the defense and you respond with such elementary tips as "don't use a bad qb," "look to see if you wr gets open when the db lines up in press coverage" and "use checkdowns."
Old 10-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychicDB
No offense but this is not a helpful post at all. Did you even read the OP? Dude was complaining about the horribly broken bugginess of the defense and you respond with such elementary tips as "don't use a bad qb," "look to see if you wr gets open when the db lines up in press coverage" and "use checkdowns."
It's helped me...if he's talking about broken bugginess, then trade the damn game in. I just gave out some helpful tips that made me better in this game passing. If you don't have anything useful to say, don't say nothing at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 5

Well i think the passing game is great, minus the dropped passes that hit the WRs in the head.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »