Home

How to Utilize a Scrambler QB

This is a discussion on How to Utilize a Scrambler QB within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: How to Utilize a Scrambler QB

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychicDB
I'm confused...A&M going 13-1 and winning the SEC doesn't reflect future conference developments.
Hahaha, sure doesn't...I meant we put Texas A&M into the SEC...thats all
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #26
Rookie

OK, so I played my games against ULL Lafayette and Vanderbilt...here were my observations...

The Read Option was simply TERRIBLE...I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what. It seemed 3 out of 4 times I ran it, the following would happen:

1. The Tackle and Guard would double team the DT in front of them...
2. The DE would commit to the HB...
3. The LB was completely free to tackle my QB at the line of scrimmage or for a small gain...

I started puting a TE over there and when I did that, it would almost guarantee that the HB wouldn't get the ball because a DE on the other side had the edge...

QB Draw worked a lil bit, nothing amazing but I don't expect that too much on the difficulty I play.

It just seems the best way to make the QB a run threat, even against lesser teams is to take quick-step drops and step up in the pocket and take off down field if your line is holding their blocks...

Doing this got my QB to 50-60 rushing each game which I guess I'll take gladly, adds a dimension to the offense I didn't have before...
Old 10-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #27
Rookie

kp2025's Arena

OVR: 1

Don't forget to sprinkle in play action pass plays and screens out of the formations you run read option in. This will help your run game immensely!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #28
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobalo85
OK, so I played my games against ULL Lafayette and Vanderbilt...here were my observations...

The Read Option was simply TERRIBLE...I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what. It seemed 3 out of 4 times I ran it, the following would happen:

3. The LB was completely free to tackle my QB at the line of scrimmage or for a small gain...

I started puting a TE over there and when I did that, it would almost guarantee that the HB wouldn't get the ball because a DE on the other side had the edge...

QB Draw worked a lil bit, nothing amazing but I don't expect that too much on the difficulty I play.

It just seems the best way to make the QB a run threat, even against lesser teams is to take quick-step drops and step up in the pocket and take off down field if your line is holding their blocks...

Doing this got my QB to 50-60 rushing each game which I guess I'll take gladly, adds a dimension to the offense I didn't have before...
It might just be the sliders.

you could also try to audible to the zone read from a called pass and see if that helps. the Shotgun 4WR Trio and 4WR Trio STR both have the zone read as the formation run audible.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Old 10-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp2025
Don't forget to sprinkle in play action pass plays and screens out of the formations you run read option in. This will help your run game immensely!
That is definitely something I don't do often enough...I like to give the CPU tons of multiple looks so they don't get use to one thing. Maybe I should stick to repeating a formation a few times then hit them with an unexpected Read Option...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
It might just be the sliders.

you could also try to audible to the zone read from a called pass and see if that helps. the Shotgun 4WR Trio and 4WR Trio STR both have the zone read as the formation run audible.
I will try that with those formations, its kind of hard to remember what all I can do at the line of scrimmage with the play clock winding down...its a lot of new information running a brand new offense...

My next game is @ Arkansas so my QB will have the squiggly passing routes and over throws and stuff, be the real test!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #30
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobalo85

Make sure you're running the read when you have numbers in the box. A lot of people who struggle with the read option try and run it when the defense has numbers on you. When you get to the line, count the number of players in the box, usually DL and LB but occasionally a safety cheating up. If the number is equal or less than the number of blockers you have plus 1, you can run it. That should help some of your problems with just being mugged by the whole defense. If you want to use a TE, I'd put him on the play side of the read, the side the HB will be running.

QB Draws are the same concept, if you have numbers, run them, it should be there. The CPU usually spreads its defense with your offense, so you should get good numbers.

Do you run all shotgun or do you have under center in your offense?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #31
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

This is my QB in my OD. He has 77 SPD/86 ACC (ACC is the most important rating for scramblers IMO and I'd take the 80 SPD/90 ACC guy over the 90 SPD/80 ACC guy every time). Due to his slow SPD he gets caught from behind, but his ACC at least gets him through the LOS a lot. This is with AA/50 threshold sliders:

PlayerPOSATTYDSAVGTDLONGAfter 1st Hit20+Brkn TklFUMB
Michael Eubanks QB 146 430 2.9 9 74 187 6 7 9

This is my offline dynasty's QB with 89 SPD/87 ACC. I use AA slides with 30 threshold.

PlayerPOSATTYDSAVGTDLONGAfter 1st Hit20+Brkn TklFUMB
John Cole QB 188 713 3.8 10 73 176 11 15 7

I get yards with read options, triple options, speed options, WR motion options, jet pwr fks, and my biggest gains come from QB powers. If you can get more blockers than defenders on the side of a QB power, if you can get through the line, there's probably a lot of green in front of you. I never call QB draws (but maybe should, but I have plenty of success with the plays I run) or QB wraps. I use a CPB with everything out of the SG (22 formations) or pistol (3). I have a lot of the formations listed in this thread.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #32
The Print Guy

65South's Arena

OVR: 23

jello, are you using Michigan's default playbook?

PSN: Sixty5South

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »