Home

Custom playbook base using 1 basic formation.

This is a discussion on Custom playbook base using 1 basic formation. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Custom playbook base using 1 basic formation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHavenBlazer
I was much like you when i first started by using balanced everything on offense. Pound the ball inbetween the tackles, speed options, and levels routes when i wanted to pass the ball(drags with a dig behind it, quick out with a flag or deep out behind it, etc) and other easy reads. I stayed in either 10(1 back, 0 TE's) of 12(1 back, 2 tight ends) and it was always symetrical. Even got into the flexbone and pistol cross formations because, like you, i wanted to flip plays/runs without typing it off.
Then, i went into this obsession with throwing the ball and the spread. Started going with lots of trips formations to creat mismatches. I love getting my fastest wr in a one on one situation on the 1 receiver side.
After that, i discovered a full back and power game. Strong I, I form twin TE, Weak I, flexbone tackle over, Ace Jumbo Z, etc. Learning win to call the counter and weakside dives when defense overplayed the strong side.
Then, thanks to a dynasty where i graduated Brandon Wheeden and had a scrambler for a starter in the 2nd season, i discovered the beauty of the option attack. Read options, speed options from the gun, triple options from the pistol and gun.

And now, my offensive attack today is a blend of all these. I run what i call an option game, where i count the numbers of guys in the box and adjust my play accordingly. 5 or less, imside run, 6 or more, pass. 1 high safety? Two outside verticles. 2 high safeties, a slant on one slot, out on the other or a levels combination between the slots. I still go balanced, but now i've incorporated unsymetrical balance(2 te's on one side, two wr's on other or 2 wr's on one side, 1 te, 1 wr on other). Now, i've fallen in love with 2 backs from the gun. Love the possibility of read options with a lead blocker as well as keeping an opponent guessing on which rb will block.
My air raid offense is a lot like that, spread it out in Trips, force the D to tip their hand and then go at them. I too am at Oklahoma State and will graduate Weeden at the end of the year and either have to go Chelf or the 90 speed backup. I am guessing I'll transition to a bit more balanced attack to get a rushing game going, hopefully I still have Blackmon at the end of the year.

I am in 4 dynasties, each with their own personnel challenges to deal with. One is Nebraska where I run the balanced option attack I described above, one is Oklahoma State where I run a vertical air raid, one is Hawai'i where I run a more underneath air raid and one is Clemson where I have no idea what the heck I'm doing.

At Oklahoma State I'll transition to a more balanced spread passing attack, at Hawai'i I graduate both QB's and will be starting a true freshman with B speed next year so I can see integrating some option (like Zac Robinson's OSU days). At Nebraska I return my entire offense that won a national title, so I'll stick with that.

But at Clemson, I am absolutely LOST. I have Ellington and Bellamy, stud backs. I have Watkins up to 98 speed and just a WR god. 3 or 4 other possession WR's, a stud TE (but no depth behind him) and a weak offensive line (I start two true freshmen at guard) and I took them over as a 3* prestige team, so I am struggling in recruiting.

I started off running spread option to get my speed in space, but I ended up getting in some awful formation tendencies and humans would just load up the box and dare me to throw and Tajh Boyd was letting me down. He threw 5 INT in my first user game this year. 5! So I am thinking about taking Osborne's Nebraska, pairing it with Urban Meyer/Tebow Florida and running an multiple option based veer/triple attack out of the I/Wishbone/Flexbone/Split back Shotgun/Wing Shotgun/Pistol Cross. I have my two star backs, my star WR, a 90 speed true freshman FB I recruited this past season.

I figure I can utilize split back shotgun to run the old Split Back Veer, transition to I Twins or I Slot option and power game and then use the SG Wing formations to get on the edge with motion option, tosses and reads. After Boyd, I converted DJ Howard (a running back with 80+/80+ thrower ratings) to a lefty QB and he has been great backing up Boyd after I benched him.

I'm still struggling with too much complexity and formation tendencies, but I am getting better. I'm trying to whittle my offense down to series football. Really just two sets of 3 plays per formation, each complimenting the other and going from there. I'm struggling a little bit, but its getting better and I like the power option/veer game.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Custom playbook base using 1 basic formation.

I was much like you when i first started by using balanced everything on offense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »