Home

Bubble screen

This is a discussion on Bubble screen within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 3
Bubble screen

Does anyone know how to work the bubble screen with success? I'm trying to run the one in Shotgun-Trips and I can't figure out if there is a secret to running it effectively or what. Some guys were saying they can run it rather easily with the correct timing if there is no defender covering the WR catching the screen, and they also said something about hot route blocking the other 2 WR's to block differently or something.

Anyone have any tips on running it, would be much appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Rookie

VonRye's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Bubble screen

I like this play as an alternative to a run, especially if the DE's are very fast and the computer blitzes a lot. Just make sure you watch the DL and make sure there's no one in between the QB and WR to bat the pass down.

I prefer the Trips Right bubble screen in the Mizzou playbook. They have two different ones. One the pass must go to the outside receiver. The other has two WR to the left that go deep.

I got a nice 56 yd TD pass off the bubble screen on 3rd and long last night.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
Pro

Is there a specific timing you use to make it work?

I've been labbing it a little and sometimes my WR catches it and does a 360 like to gain his balance, I am not sure if I throw it immediately after I hike it or if I have to wait for something to develop?

I am wondering how much the QB's accuracy and the WR's run route plays into affect with this as well.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

For the WR screen with the outside WR coming toward you... I always throw it pretty hard like I would a slant pass. I typically throw the ball just to the left of the DE coming at me or just to the right of the DE coming at me. The key part for me is always avoiding DE/DT bat downs on the play. If you run it too often the CPU will catch on and start defending it well with their secondary, but used sparingly and in the right situation you can really catch the CPU napping for a big gain.

For the WR screen that I think you are talking about that is more on the edge... there are two options like you mentioned. You can either have the other receivers block like the play is designed or you can hot route them onto streaks or ins to run off defenders. My general rule is that if I have equal or more blockers than defenders nearby I let them block. If there is an extra CB nearby or a safety creaping up, I will hot route and run off the coverage to at least get a one-on-one matchup on the outside and hope the receiver can slip one defensive back.

Hope that is helpful. I run Mizzou and Notre Dame playbooks usually, so I use a lot of screen passes.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
Rookie

VonRye's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazey
Is there a specific timing you use to make it work?

I've been labbing it a little and sometimes my WR catches it and does a 360 like to gain his balance, I am not sure if I throw it immediately after I hike it or if I have to wait for something to develop?

I am wondering how much the QB's accuracy and the WR's run route plays into affect with this as well.
I drop back a few steps farther than normal and then watch the gap between the DLmen and then throw a bullet to the WR coming towards me. Like the poster above said, if you have the same amount of blockers as DB's, then let them block and pick a lane between them. Sometimes you only get 5-7 yds if the defense reacts fast. Other times you get a long gain like I mentioned before.

Maybe you should go to the practice field and work on the timing part until you are comfortable. I dont throw them all game long, but they really work well if you catch the defense in an all out blitz.

One thing to consider is the break tackle rating of the WR. I tend to recruit bigger WRs and take notice of their running category ratings. While a fast guy might run away from a tackle, sometimes breaking a tackle near the line results in big yards too.

Last edited by VonRye; 11-29-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

You should never actually come out with the bubble screen. Only use it as an audible. Audible to it only when the CPU doesn't have a corner above all 3 receivers. If there's only 2 defenders in the area then use it. If you throw it when there's 3 defenders around the receivers it'll get blown up.

The best way to throw it is to tilt the left stick away from the receiver. So if the receiver is on your left, tilt the stick to the right when you throw it. This avoids that stupid spinning catch animation EA put in which kills all your momentum. The receiver should catch the ball on stride if you throw it this way.

I heard these tips from PowerofRed, so credit goes to him. Really helps.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonRye
I drop back a few steps farther than normal and then watch the gap between the DLmen and then throw a bullet to the WR coming towards me. Like the poster above said, if you have the same amount of blockers as DB's, then let them block and pick a lane between them. Sometimes you only get 5-7 yds if the defense reacts fast. Other times you get a long gain like I mentioned before.

Maybe you should go to the practice field and work on the timing part until you are comfortable. I dont throw them all game long, but they really work well if you catch the defense in an all out blitz.

One thing to consider is the break tackle rating of the WR. I tend to recruit bigger WRs and take notice of their running category ratings. While a fast guy might run away from a tackle, sometimes breaking a tackle near the line results in big yards too.
The bubble screen is to the inside WR going away from the QB. I think the one you are talking about is a tunnel screen, or just WR Mid screen. Those are the outside WR's coming towards the QB. I will definitely work with a WR with higher BRTK to see what happens though.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastX21
You should never actually come out with the bubble screen. Only use it as an audible. Audible to it only when the CPU doesn't have a corner above all 3 receivers. If there's only 2 defenders in the area then use it. If you throw it when there's 3 defenders around the receivers it'll get blown up.

The best way to throw it is to tilt the left stick away from the receiver. So if the receiver is on your left, tilt the stick to the right when you throw it. This avoids that stupid spinning catch animation EA put in which kills all your momentum. The receiver should catch the ball on stride if you throw it this way.

I heard these tips from PowerofRed, so credit goes to him. Really helps.
Awesome thanks I am going to try that. I read up on a mini scheme involving the bubble screen as the main play with 3 other audibles from it, but now that you mention it maybe I will put the bubble screen into my audible and look for another play to come out in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »