Home

Healing injuries

This is a discussion on Healing injuries within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Healing injuries

Does anyone know of a way to quickly (or instantly) heal an injury? Really frustrating that my guys keep randomly getting hurt for 5-6 weeks but I don't want to have to quit out of the game.....don't want to turn injuries completely off. Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Healing injuries

Turn injuries off?

You can't heal injuries, you aren't a miracle worker or Tim Tebow. If they get hurt, they are hurt. If you don't want them constantly getting hurt, turn injuries off. If you don't want to do that, either make sure you are getting guys with solid injury ratings or make sure you are subbing in and out a lot. Fatigue/overwork will almost always lead to injury.

In year 2 of my Nebraska dynasty, I have had two consecutive games where I have lost my top THREE running backs to injury. In the first game I lost Burkhead to a concussion on the first drive (out for the game), lost Aaron Green to shoulder injury two drives later (out for the game), lost Ameer Abdullah on the first play of the second half to a concussion (out for the game). I ended up moving Taylor Martinez from QB to HB and playing Carnes at QB and he ran for 185 yards in the 2nd half. Keep in mind I run the ball almost 65 times per game in this dynasty to 5 passes, so my backs get worked, but the injuries were garbage.

Then the EXACT same thing in the EXACT same order to the EXACT same injuries happened in the very next game. This time, Martinez had 25 carries as the HB for just over 100 yards. That game I ran 69 times to 2 passes.

I could probably pass more and take the load/injury risk off my backs, but I really want to pound the rock in this dyn, so run run run it is.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

A confession 1st, b/c I've been scared off from buying '12 by all of the doesn't work right/broken/frozen/etc/etc/etc threads (when I first came to the sight, with '11, it was dominated by gameplay how-to or what-I-do threads), I'm still running my '11 offline dynasty. Now, for injuries...

With '11, and it appears for '12, I'm still convinced the injury issue doesn't work correctly; and I'm not even bringing into the equation the concept of skill players getting hurt 99x more often than OL/DL. You can make all the arguments you'd like for "...like in real life...", but I'm still not buying.

With this game it is always a matter of when not if. When you are forced to resort to regular or mass subbing early in games to try to ensure your skill players don't get hurt (remember, when not if), the feature isn't 'life-like.' (Herbstreit: "If I were the coach, I'd give it to this guy 30 times a game." LOL)

There doesn't seem to be a randomness to the problem, which I guess is my (1st) problem with it, and far too often it's a Sr whose career is ended b/c of the injury. Current season returning Heisman-winning Sr. HB gets hurt (dislocated elbow) in 1st quarter of 1st game of final year, after just 5 carries. With 30+ seasons under my belt (I know, get a life, or at least play a different game, LOL) I unfortunately had expected something like this; had another high-90s HB maybe 1-2 OVR pts below that, in part b/c of playing so much w/ mass subbing, wanted to go Pro like the Heisman guy, and I spent the offseason minutes to convince them both to return for Sr. seasons. Which caused me to carry more HBs on 70-man roster than I'd need (b/c of impending graduation loss of 2), which caused me to short-change another position, which causes me to alter the season's recrutiing strategy, which yadda-yadda-yadda (or whine, whine, whine if you don't agree w/ me).

My 2nd issue w/ the subs is the Questionable status that can linger equal to the time spent listed as Out. My HB is Out 4wks, but I expect him to be Questionable for 4, before becoming Probable. Some injuries, maybe even this one, I'll buy into that -- but why not make the INJ longer and make the Questionable status more realistic (I work as an administrator in college athletics and spent 20+ seasons prior as a coach so I have some first-hand knowledge to back up my thoughts/beliefs in this area) -- but for many others it's clearly not applied realistically. The worst part of this area, in '11 at least, is the time b/t regular season and postseason which isn't applied to INJ status. A guy w/ 2 wks 'left' on his Out status at wk 15 or conference bowl wk will still have 1 wk left at a BCS bowl wk. What?! Recovery time stood still?!

If you already haven't stopped reading by now, you may be thinking "here's another complainer about the game." I gotta say, though, even if you search any thread I've been posting in, you'll find this is perhaps (geez, I don't remember every thread I've replied to or started) the only gameplay issue I come on here and complain long-windedly about.

And, I'm still playing. I'm not asking EA for a refund, not trading the game in (at 30+ seasons, obvioiusly not, eh?), not jumping into threads complaining about trampoline LBs or ESP CBs (I guess a bigger problem with '12, from what I've read). And I don't turn INJ off.

I simply don't think the injury situation and how it is implemented (coded? for you folks smarter than me) is an accurate depiction of how this goes in real life. And I don't have an answer, either, which makes me the worst type of complainer. Maybe I'd take more 1wk OUT/0 or 1wk Questionables instead of the current implementation, I don't know. Maybe that's more IRL?

[jumping off soapbox , let the criticisms begin.]

Last edited by GGGswim; 12-21-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

I have not had a problem with injuries. I've had a couple guys miss 3 or 4 games, but not more then 2 at a time. My HB kept getting injured, but he had a low injury rating. Now in 2nd year, no one has missed more then a couple of plays, and i am half way through season. Maybe I'm lucky.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Rookie

hkwforAUTigers's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGswim
A confession 1st, b/c I've been scared off from buying '12 by all of the doesn't work right/broken/frozen/etc/etc/etc threads (when I first came to the sight, with '11, it was dominated by gameplay how-to or what-I-do threads), I'm still running my '11 offline dynasty. Now, for injuries...

With '11, and it appears for '12, I'm still convinced the injury issue doesn't work correctly; and I'm not even bringing into the equation the concept of skill players getting hurt 99x more often than OL/DL. You can make all the arguments you'd like for "...like in real life...", but I'm still not buying.

With this game it is always a matter of when not if. When you are forced to resort to regular or mass subbing early in games to try to ensure your skill players don't get hurt (remember, when not if), the feature isn't 'life-like.' (Herbstreit: "If I were the coach, I'd give it to this guy 30 times a game." LOL)

There doesn't seem to be a randomness to the problem, which I guess is my (1st) problem with it, and far too often it's a Sr whose career is ended b/c of the injury. Current season returning Heisman-winning Sr. HB gets hurt (dislocated elbow) in 1st quarter of 1st game of final year, after just 5 carries. With 30+ seasons under my belt (I know, get a life, or at least play a different game, LOL) I unfortunately had expected something like this; had another high-90s HB maybe 1-2 OVR pts below that, in part b/c of playing so much w/ mass subbing, wanted to go Pro like the Heisman guy, and I spent the offseason minutes to convince them both to return for Sr. seasons. Which caused me to carry more HBs on 70-man roster than I'd need (b/c of impending graduation loss of 2), which caused me to short-change another position, which causes me to alter the season's recrutiing strategy, which yadda-yadda-yadda (or whine, whine, whine if you don't agree w/ me).

My 2nd issue w/ the subs is the Questionable status that can linger equal to the time spent listed as Out. My HB is Out 4wks, but I expect him to be Questionable for 4, before becoming Probable. Some injuries, maybe even this one, I'll buy into that -- but why not make the INJ longer and make the Questionable status more realistic (I work as an administrator in college athletics and spent 20+ seasons prior as a coach so I have some first-hand knowledge to back up my thoughts/beliefs in this area) -- but for many others it's clearly not applied realistically. The worst part of this area, in '11 at least, is the time b/t regular season and postseason which isn't applied to INJ status. A guy w/ 2 wks 'left' on his Out status at wk 15 or conference bowl wk will still have 1 wk left at a BCS bowl wk. What?! Recovery time stood still?!

If you already haven't stopped reading by now, you may be thinking "here's another complainer about the game." I gotta say, though, even if you search any thread I've been posting in, you'll find this is perhaps (geez, I don't remember every thread I've replied to or started) the only gameplay issue I come on here and complain long-windedly about.

And, I'm still playing. I'm not asking EA for a refund, not trading the game in (at 30+ seasons, obvioiusly not, eh?), not jumping into threads complaining about trampoline LBs or ESP CBs (I guess a bigger problem with '12, from what I've read). And I don't turn INJ off.

I simply don't think the injury situation and how it is implemented (coded? for you folks smarter than me) is an accurate depiction of how this goes in real life. And I don't have an answer, either, which makes me the worst type of complainer. Maybe I'd take more 1wk OUT/0 or 1wk Questionables instead of the current implementation, I don't know. Maybe that's more IRL?

[jumping off soapbox , let the criticisms begin.]
I dont post anymore that often. First off, great post.

Since you work in college athletics, it makes perfect sense for you to know TONS more about this then most of us casual gamers. I agree with you on all your points.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Pro

silver281gt's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
Turn injuries off?

You can't heal injuries, you aren't a miracle worker or Tim Tebow. If they get hurt, they are hurt. If you don't want them constantly getting hurt, turn injuries off. If you don't want to do that, either make sure you are getting guys with solid injury ratings or make sure you are subbing in and out a lot. Fatigue/overwork will almost always lead to injury.

In year 2 of my Nebraska dynasty, I have had two consecutive games where I have lost my top THREE running backs to injury. In the first game I lost Burkhead to a concussion on the first drive (out for the game), lost Aaron Green to shoulder injury two drives later (out for the game), lost Ameer Abdullah on the first play of the second half to a concussion (out for the game). I ended up moving Taylor Martinez from QB to HB and playing Carnes at QB and he ran for 185 yards in the 2nd half. Keep in mind I run the ball almost 65 times per game in this dynasty to 5 passes, so my backs get worked, but the injuries were garbage.

Then the EXACT same thing in the EXACT same order to the EXACT same injuries happened in the very next game. This time, Martinez had 25 carries as the HB for just over 100 yards. That game I ran 69 times to 2 passes.

I could probably pass more and take the load/injury risk off my backs, but I really want to pound the rock in this dyn, so run run run it is.

HOW in the world did you get 20 carries out of T-Magic???? I couldnt get 3 scrambles out of him without him going down for the game..
Old 12-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver281gt
HOW in the world did you get 20 carries out of T-Magic???? I couldnt get 3 scrambles out of him without him going down for the game..
It's weird, I had stopped running so hard with him because he had broken his arm in the first season of the dynasty after a run heavy game. So the next season, I thought I'd reel him in a bit, run less option and just go more down hill with Rexy and the others. Then when they all went down and I didn't want to burn Heard's redshirt, I stick him at HB and he was awesome. He got fatigued fairly easy so I ran my FB to get him some rests, but two straight 20+ carry games for him.

I am almost convinced that the QB position has an injury rating modifier assigned to it that causes scrambling QB's to get hurt at a much higher rate than if they were a different position.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
Rookie

etmccreary's Arena

OVR: 0

I would love to see the ability to turn on/off manual injuries like in Franchise mode of MLB The Show. That way, if you don't like an injury, change it. If a guy goes down in real life, injure him in the game.

Doing this coupled with bringing back medical redshirts would really make Dynasty mode more realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »