Home

Your thoughts on scholarship limit

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on scholarship limit within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Your thoughts on scholarship limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinphat
agreed. it hasn't hurt his recruiting classes at all, but you have to admit that his reputation has taken a big hit. Maybe it's just a southern sports news story and it hasn't made it to Ohio yet, but its all everybody has been talking about around here for the last month.
As a Big 10 guy I agree with this... It "should" hurt his reputation... yet kids line up to sign at Alabama every year despite the fact that they might be "gray shirted."
Old 01-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Rookie

rollinphat's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblespoon
As a Big 10 guy I agree with this... It "should" hurt his reputation... yet kids line up to sign at Alabama every year despite the fact that they might be "gray shirted."
because like the game some players value "tradition", "championship contender", "tv exposure" and "conference prestige" more than "coaching reputation"
Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinphat
because like the game some players value "tradition", "championship contender", "tv exposure" and "conference prestige" more than "coaching reputation"
"Program Integrity"

Schools like Michigan that have high integrity have everything you mentioned except it's the winningest program in NCAA history...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknut17

While it does stop the Houston Nutt 38 player classes, it still doesn't stop oversigning. 25+25+25+25 doesn't equal 85 and that's not even including 5th year seniors, so while limiting oversigning its laughable to think it will stop it.

Oh no doubt, but it's not as simple in real life as a game of EA football. When I recruit a little electronic 200 pound DE (lol) in this game I don't have to worry about things like: Does he test positive for icky, does he make grades, does he get homesick, etc.

Now IRL, for sure "attrition" isn't always caused by the player. Sometimes a coach will kindly let them know they will never see the field so it's in their best interest to look into a transfer. What that comes down to with your math is if scholarships should be 4 year contracts...right now they are 1.

As far as the game is concerned, I pretty much redshirt everybody and never cut any of them...so I'm rarely recruiting more than 15 players each year. If only reality was this easy.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Hail West Virginia

mtoo22's Arena

OVR: 10
I just want players that get cut to actually go somewhere if they are good enough...

Hail West Virginia
Old 01-27-2012, 01:41 AM   #14
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerfan1509
I think that EA should apply something in terms of dropping a "prestige" rating if you cut players that where offered scholarships. I mean now, i sign 20-25 guys every year and just cut the ones i dont want with ZERO penalty.
You mean like Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier, Houston Nutt in the SEC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknut17

While it does stop the Houston Nutt 38 player classes, it still doesn't stop oversigning. 25+25+25+25 doesn't equal 85 and that's not even including 5th year seniors, so while limiting oversigning its laughable to think it will stop it.
I can't believe it hasn't gotten real national exposure. ESPN makes it seem like the SEC just has some special SEC-ness that makes all their programs great and makes players go there. They hoard players and can cover up their mistakes/injuries because of the large recruiting classes. I wish the NCAA would come out and make all 120 FBS schools give out 2-year schollys or somehow hold all teams to the 85 over 4 years......

Last edited by CuseGirl; 01-27-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 13

Roll Tide Roll!! 2012 going for #15

Last edited by Aranor; 01-27-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #16
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Vol
InvisibleSpoon, while in years past you would absolutely be correct that most SEC schools typically oversign players, that is no longer the case. This year they are instituting a "hard 25" rule, no backcounting to the previous year and early enrollees count against the 25 as well.

It is my understanding that for every one you take past 25 you will be docked 3 schollys the following year. (which is really really bad)

We have Houston Nutt to thank for this rule.
Well based on their current commitment list Alabama has 27 commits this year, and they are not done recruiting. I've heard plenty on the "25 rule" via Paul Finebaum, etc., but I don't understand how hard 25 means you can have 27 verbal commits?

Back to the topic if they would just change roster size to at least 85 it would help with the problem. You would still have to cut if you had 25 recruits every year but your teams could actually develop depth and then make less recruits sign with teams that have more depth at their position.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »