Home

Playing the game like a GM

This is a discussion on Playing the game like a GM within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Playing the game like a GM

Hello OS nation,

Wondering if anyone plays this game like a GM of a pro sports team? In other words, you basically are just in charge of roster (and schedule) management - all the games are simmed. Not coach mode, not spectator mode... GM mode. Maybe it's called something else around here though. I don't troll this board like I once used to.

Anyway, if there is, I'm wondering a few things:
1) Is there anything that can be done with coach set-up to increase your likelihood of winning while simming?
My notes - I've found that modeling my offense after Auburn and defense after Iowa seems to be helping my win percent
2) Are there certain styles of players that do better with simming?
My notes - for instance, pocket passer QBs don't fair as well - possibly because of the Auburn playbook, but even with other playbooks they fall short
3) Are there roster management keys that help winning while simming?
My notes - It seems like a strong O-line helps because your QBs get sacked less and the rushing average goes up. That's anecdotal and I haven't gotten a chance to analyze it yet.

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Rookie

JMU_Devil_Dawg's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Playing the game like a GM

I have often played the game in the manner that you describe.
I haven't done any analytical analysis to provide definitive answers to your questions. I do remember about a year or two ago a thread that contained a lot of analytical analysis into what different ratings meant and how that affected games being simmed. If I can find it I'll post it here. But all that I can remember off of the top of my head was that in past versions of the game the awareness rating seemed to be important over all other attributes for QB performance in simming, at least in the tests that were run by this individual.

I found the thread:
QB Sim Stats: Only AWR Matters
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...r-matters.html

I am not sure if this still holds true for NCAA 12.

Last edited by JMU_Devil_Dawg; 02-12-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Found the thread.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Playing the game like a GM

I believe you're spot on with the QB-type in your offense. Played (no sims) 35+ seasons as Auburn in '11 and -- from obvious first-hand knowledge -- balanced or scrambler worked better with their spread.

Previous poster also pointed out AWR for QB as being almost all-important attribute (I also feel accuracy is much more important than throw power, otherwise, why would high accur/moderate power QBs be so rare. SO many 87 power/76 accuracy guys, right?).
From everything I've read I think you can take that one step farther. Your OL/DL will recover fumbles more often w/ higher AWR, for example. Though I recruit DBs looking highly at play recog, AWR in the d-backfield also helps.

As for ratings, I know that for simming, the PBK/RBK/IBK attributes are the ones you should be looking for as the footwork/power block ratings are for non-sim. From what I've also gathered, high release and acceleration are top attributes to look for in WRs, presumably over speed. Saw a Youtube video of a guy editing 2 WRs with identical SPD but varied ACC and you could clearly see the difference.
When you're looking at your HBs, as I understand it and especially for simming, the BTK is coupled up with his highest other ratings to break the tackle. A high spin guy will default to that attribute for BTK while a high TRK guy will truly be that Ron Dayne power back.

I'm sure others will advise if I'm off the mark...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »