Home

My experience with Heisman difficulty

This is a discussion on My experience with Heisman difficulty within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Rookie

TreyDobbs's Arena

OVR: 5
My experience with Heisman difficulty

I've played countless dynasties on Heisman difficulty. I usually never lose more than 2 games in a season and usually have an undefeated or one loss season. I don't always blow out opponents, but I usually win by at least 17+. I like my gaming experience because it's realistic to how much time I've put into the game on getting better. I can now take a team like Buffalo, Tulane, etc and beat teams like Alabama by a fair margin. My problem is this. Every dynasty, whether it be offline or online, I lead the nation in sacks taken by a LARGE margin. I always lead in total offense, passing, and receiving yards, sometimes in rushing yards, but seem to also always lead the nation in sacks taken. I'm not sure why this is because I don't feel as though I take long to make decisions and pass. Heisman difficulty does produce some ridiculous psychic defenses, but that shouldn't result in 65 sacks, sometimes more, taken per season. Does cranking up pass blocking fix this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

OVR: 25
Re: My experience with Heisman difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyDobbs
I've played countless dynasties on Heisman difficulty. I usually never lose more than 2 games in a season and usually have an undefeated or one loss season. I don't always blow out opponents, but I usually win by at least 17+. I like my gaming experience because it's realistic to how much time I've put into the game on getting better. I can now take a team like Buffalo, Tulane, etc and beat teams like Alabama by a fair margin. My problem is this. Every dynasty, whether it be offline or online, I lead the nation in sacks taken by a LARGE margin. I always lead in total offense, passing, and receiving yards, sometimes in rushing yards, but seem to also always lead the nation in sacks taken. I'm not sure why this is because I don't feel as though I take long to make decisions and pass. Heisman difficulty does produce some ridiculous psychic defenses, but that shouldn't result in 65 sacks, sometimes more, taken per season. Does cranking up pass blocking fix this?
It should correct your sacks situation if you mess with the pass blocking (and CPU pass rush) sliders, what I may recommend as to the difficulty thing...find a good set of AA sliders. AA produces less ridiculous "psychic" defense, and better and if you can find a set that fits your play style nicely, it can honestly be more challenging. Myself, I've lost 4 games on my offline Eastern Michigan dynasty this season to a variety of teams (Western Michigan, Michigan, Penn State, and Central Michigan) and I'm using a set of AA sliders that fits my own personal style (run first, pass second) the best and gives me a challenge week in and out.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Rookie

TreyDobbs's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber35
It should correct your sacks situation if you mess with the pass blocking (and CPU pass rush) sliders, what I may recommend as to the difficulty thing...find a good set of AA sliders. AA produces less ridiculous "psychic" defense, and better and if you can find a set that fits your play style nicely, it can honestly be more challenging. Myself, I've lost 4 games on my offline Eastern Michigan dynasty this season to a variety of teams (Western Michigan, Michigan, Penn State, and Central Michigan) and I'm using a set of AA sliders that fits my own personal style (run first, pass second) the best and gives me a challenge week in and out.
I don't think I've ever messed with sliders before. I've just always played Heisman difficulty. Honestly I'm not 100% what sliders are. Are they just the adjustments of how often penalties are called, how well the CPU is at defending against the run/pass, and how well the CPU performs offensively?
Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Just Bad at Everything

TheNumber35's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyDobbs
I don't think I've ever messed with sliders before. I've just always played Heisman difficulty. Honestly I'm not 100% what sliders are. Are they just the adjustments of how often penalties are called, how well the CPU is at defending against the run/pass, and how well the CPU performs offensively?
Yes, that's basically what sliders are. You can alter the CPU's performance, but you can also cripple yourself in a sense, by making the user perform worse. If your really curious about it, there is an entire section of this forum devoted to sliders. I recommend looking there as the guys who post in there have some good sliders and know what they're doing.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
Rookie

TreyDobbs's Arena

Okay. I just started an offline dynasty with Akron on Heisman. I was down 17-23 with 1:30 left to play with the ball. I'm OC btw. Anyways, I drive down to the 13 yard line, it's 3rd and 10 and I throw a ball to the back of the end zone with my WR clearly the only one to make a play. Instead of putting his hands up high in the air to make the catch, he lowers his hands to his waist and allows the DB, who is completely unable to make the play if my WR puts his hands up in the air, to get an INT. COMPLETELY ridiculous.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Rookie

Seanzie's Arena

OVR: 2

Eh, it happens sometimes with me. It's not consistent though. In the current OD I'm in, I went from giving up 24 sacks, to 45, to 34, and have currently given up 20 through 5 games.

Sliding protection, throwing short routes, and keeping in extra blockers usually helps if the CPU keeps bringing heat. Also, learn to move inside the pocket better. I find myself rolling out from the pocket or dropping back too far sometimes, and I find that also results in more sacks taken.

Better play calling helps as well. Calling a PA pass on 3rd and long is probably a bad idea.

I'd also add that I don't think you should mess with sliders too much though, because it can become an endless cycle of changing things when you feel things are unfair, but understand that sometimes really good teams play really well and it's you that needs to make the adjustments in your game, as frustrating as this game can get at times.

Last edited by Seanzie; 02-18-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Rookie

TreyDobbs's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanzie
Eh, it happens sometimes with me. It's not consistent though. In the current OD I'm in, I went from giving up 24 sacks, to 45, to 34, and have currently given up 20 through 5 games.

Sliding protection, throwing short routes, and keeping in extra blockers usually helps if the CPU keeps bringing heat. Also, learn to move inside the pocket better. I find myself rolling out from the pocket or dropping back too far sometimes, and I find that also results in more sacks taken.

Better play calling helps as well. Calling a PA pass on 3rd and long is probably a bad idea.

I'd also add that I don't think you should mess with sliders too much though, because it can become an endless cycle of changing things when you feel things are unfair, but understand that sometimes really good teams play really well and it's you that needs to make the adjustments in your game, as frustrating as this game can get at times.
I agree with all of your points, but I'm still going over 50 sacks every year. I don't think I've ever gone below 50. My lowest I believe is 51. The only slider I've messed with is pass interference and I moved that up so it would be called more often on both teams. I also barely moved up pass protection from the default 50 to 55.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
We're Going Farming

Equinox831's Arena

OVR: 18

If you want to get the most out of this game you have to use sliders man. Playing with the default setting is terrible. If you're blowing out Alabama with Tulane, then you definitely to make the game harder for yourself with sliders. I also recommend All-American sliders because Heisman kind of cheats you sometimes. Check out NDAlum's SOS Sliders in the slider section, you won't be disappointed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »