Home

Why NCAA '13 Should Be The Best Yet

This is a discussion on Why NCAA '13 Should Be The Best Yet within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Will NCAA '13 be the best installment yet?
With improved gameplay, yes. 6 7.41%
With improved gameplay and atmosphere, yes. 22 27.16%
It would have to improve on everything. 28 34.57%
Theres no hope at all. 25 30.86%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27
Why NCAA '13 Should Be The Best Yet

We've all had our frustrations with NCAA '12. Heck, this is the first year that I didn't play the game past December, and I haven't even been remotely tempted to pick it back up and play. There are reasons why (which I'll get into in a minute) NCAA '12 was a huge disappointment, but there are also a ton of reasons why NCAA '12 has the potential to be a huge building block for the future of the series. I'd like for this thread not to be a "EA sucks" kind of deal, as we all know there are a lot of people here who hate getting hyped up when ultimately, you'll just feel disappointed in the end. But for those of you like me, who love looking forward to the next installment, hopefully you'll find some reasons to believe in EA in this thread. Also, know that I understand some of the issues with the game (ratings, psychic db's, etc), I'm just choosing not to get into them because this forum has already done such a great job of making these issues known. So without further adieu, here we go.

Reasons why NCAA '12 was a disappointment:
  1. The Gameplay has officially gotten stale. One of the reasons why I believe NCAA '12 didn't get a whole lot of upgrades on the gameplay front was because a lot of us (including myself) thought '11 was a huge upgrade from '10 in terms of gameplay. They balanced it, and gave reasons to recruit skills other than speed. But along came NCAA '12, and we all know how that story goes. Part of it has to be the fact that NBA 2K, FIFA, and MLB The Show have created such lifelike recreations of their respective sports, and its annoying to a lot of us Football fans that EA is a little late to the party. Is the gameplay terrible? Not at all, just look at what we were playing ten years ago. Is it outdated comapared to the mentioned games above? Absolutely.

2. The presentation is boring and again, stale. After I've watched the same generic entrance more than 10 times, I feel like the game loses some luster. The great thing about college football, is that no two games are ever the same. NCAA needs to do a better job of giving off the feel of a huge home game against a rival, and playing in a nearly empty stadium with two last place teams. Here on the forums, people have done a good job of getting into the reasons presentation lacks, so I won't get too into it myself here. NCAA '12 almost never provided a sense of College Football atmosphere, and thats something they really need to focus on this year.

3. The Bugs. Now, I've had less of an issue with this than most people, but that doesn't mean I can't recognize their presence. When a game takes chances (look at games like Skyrim, LA Noir, etc), there are bound to be an assortment of bugs. But the fact remains, they were there, and they often made playing the game unpleasant and sometimes unplayable all together. I'll get further into this in a second however.

4. Recruiting. Why does EA's coaching carousel feel so different from College Hoops? Because recruiting is virtually the same no matter what school you're coaching at. I used to love being a lowly mid-major who had to live of JUCO's and 3*'s, and then signing with a Kansas team and instantly being able to go after 5* prospects. Not only was that awesome, but recruiting actually mattered because the ratings made a difference. I could recruit a kicker as an O-Lineman and still win games. This cannot continue, and its my #1 reason NCAA '12 was a disappointment.

Reasons why NCAA '13 could be awesome:
  1. Last year, EA enhanced a lot of things, and added a lot of new features. I have no doubt that newly implemented features like Coaching Carousel will be 2x as good as they were in their first year with the series. The great thing about sites like Operation Sports, is that EA gets to hear our opinions on the matter. What do we like about Coaching Carousel, what don't we like, etc. They didn't get to here stuff like that last year, because the feature hadn't made itself known yet. I'd be very surprised if the Carousel hasn't recieved some massive improvements next year.

2. It has been hammered into EA's brain that the gameplay is stale, out of date, and nearly unplayable at times. With pressure coming from other sports series, who continue to put out great products, EA might finally arrive to the party with their football series.

3. Another good example of why NCAA '13 might be the best of the series, is NCAA '06. What does '06 have to do with anything you might ask? '06 was the last NCAA of the generation cycle for the Xbox, and PS2, and also (I would argue) the best. The further into a console lifespan we get, the more time EA has to hammer out the issues. It's about time we start seeing that progress.

4. This year, perhaps more than ever, NCAA's gameplay issues have been exposed, and made known to the general public. Youtube and forums have made it abundantly clear just what the issues are with gameplay, and there is no excuse for EA to not know about it at this point. I'd also assume that they can't risk having these issues in the next installment considering the uproar from its fans about '12.

So there you have it. Four reasons why NCAA '13 should be the best installment of NCAA Football yet. What about you guys? Will you be avoiding the hype this year, or will you keep up hope that EA can develop a solid college football game just like it used to?

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

OVR: 0
I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, but NCAA '13 should be the best yet because it's well..... The 2013 version of the game, the newest version....

Yet this game will still lack features that were present 7 years ago on last generation.....
Old 02-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

Re: Why NCAA '13 Should Be The Best Yet

Nate, I was more referring the best game given the time of release. For example, I'd play '11 over '06 even though I enjoyed '06 more at the time of release.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

OVR: 0
I can pop '06 in for my XBOX and enjoy myself for hours if I had to, as compared to '12 that pisses me off in a matter of minutes. Something isn't right about that haha.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
MVP

boritter's Arena

OVR: 31

No hope because

1) NCAA has been weak every year on the 360/PS3.

2) EA has no competition.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 20

It would have to improve on everything. Presentation, gameplay, the "little things" all need a lot of attention. I really hope EA stepped their game up this year. The game is just incredibly stale, I won't buy NCAA 13 if it's anything like NCAA 12.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Phenom

seasprite's Arena

Is the op from last year about NCAA 12? Sounds a bit similar. Just my. 02

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
Is the op from last year about NCAA 12? Sounds a bit similar. Just my. 02

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
No doubt I have similar hope toward NCAA '13 as I did for '12 a year ago. Its tough for me to completely forget about the game, because I'm such a huge college football fan. I'd love for the NCAA series to succeed, but like others on here, I'm not certain EA has the ability to do that right now.

I understand your point, but I still hold out hope that we'll see a fully functioning NCAA Football game sometime in the near future.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »