Home

Are You Capable Of Being Objective About NCAA 13?

This is a discussion on Are You Capable Of Being Objective About NCAA 13? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Are You Capable Of Being Objective About NCAA 13?

Yep, the foundation of this generation was poorly built and the series suffered because of it. They have been playing "catch up" if you will. Hopefully in the next gen game, they build their engine on the basic fundamentals of football, starting with physics and player movement. They just have not been able to capture that on this generation for whatever reason and it has hurt them and us.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
Yep, the foundation of this generation was poorly built and the series suffered because of it. They have been playing "catch up" if you will. Hopefully in the next gen game, they build their engine on the basic fundamentals of football, starting with physics and player movement. They just have not been able to capture that on this generation for whatever reason and it has hurt them and us.
Some people might think I'm crazy for saying this, but I would have no problem if the first iteration of NCAA on the next-gen consoles was nothing more than Play Now, a single-season mode, and Online Quick Play, as long as it meant getting a solid foundation for realistic gameplay.

EA seems to have an easier time adding/expanding features/game modes from year-to-year. But they seem to have significant problems fixing gameplay problems in such short development cycles. Get some solid gameplay at the start, then you can focus your attention on the back-of-the-box additions/innovations for the rest of the generation.

Basically, bake a good cake first, there's plenty of time to worry about the icing later. I really don't want to have to wait 3 years into next-gen to hear "we finally made acceleration mean something this year."
Old 04-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #19
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Sure, why not? I bought NCAA 12 based largely on how good I felt NCAA 11 was. That was a mistake. It behooves us, as consumers, to not go too crazy in thinking about the last product. You might get burned by a bad iteration, or you might miss a major improvement.

Objectivity in NCAA 13 is about approaching the title with an open mind. That doesn't mean you completely and utterly forget about NCAA 12. It simply means you make your decision on NCAA 13 based on the merits of the game itself; not reputation or pre-conceived opinions.
Isn't looking at it objectively the reason we don't see those major improvements year in and year out?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
Some people might think I'm crazy for saying this, but I would have no problem if the first iteration of NCAA on the next-gen consoles was nothing more than Play Now, a single-season mode, and Online Quick Play, as long as it meant getting a solid foundation for realistic gameplay.

EA seems to have an easier time adding/expanding features/game modes from year-to-year. But they seem to have significant problems fixing gameplay problems in such short development cycles. Get some solid gameplay at the start, then you can focus your attention on the back-of-the-box additions/innovations for the rest of the generation.

Basically, bake a good cake first, there's plenty of time to worry about the icing later. I really don't want to have to wait 3 years into next-gen to hear "we finally made acceleration mean something this year."
I'm with you but I think we are in the minority. I can't even really get into a dynasty because the gameplay is so stale.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #21
MVP

prowler's Arena

Quote:

That's exactly what they did this generation. NCAA07 was absolute barebones on the 360 and the majority didn't care because "wow look at those graphics!" "did you see those gameplay vids!" Fast forward to the present and you have this thread and tons like it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #22
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:

This is the approach EA Canada took with Fifa on this gen. It took up until Fifa 10 to really be recognized as a serious contender for the soccer gaming throne, but they stayed the course and are considered the better game in the genre. Now they can fluff it up with "back of the box" stuff like Ultimate Team. But they put the cart behind the horse. IMHO, Tiburon has been really blinded into thinking they HAVE a great game. They feel they can focus on selling features and tweaking the main game incrementally. Those of us who play all of the sports genre can see how poorly it represents the sport, as opposed to the strides made by all of the other respective games.

I guess I'm going to have to say "probably not" as to objectivity. I don't look to Madden as a comparison for NCAA. I look to Fifa12 and NBA2k12. They have the same inherent limitations regarding graphics hardware and memory. Where I see those games and games like the Show as being superior is in vision and implementation. This whole generation has been "one step forward and let's throw that out,start over and go three steps back" with Tiburon. They need to make a real football game from the ground up. And it's not gonna happen this gen. They have the mastermind of "The Show" now. Let's see of he can get the "next gen" NCAA/Madden up to speed for 2013/14. This gen is a wash......

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »