Home

Hands down, THE single best game of video game football...

This is a discussion on Hands down, THE single best game of video game football... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
MVP

mm boost's Arena

OVR: 12
Hands down, THE single best game of video game football...

...that I've played. I know most people are not happy with NCAA 12 and have moved on and caught up in the NCAA 13 news, but I for one am still wearing out my NCAA 12 and absolutely love this game. I can't wait to get started on NCAA 13 as well! I feel like I need to share this game, my heart is STILL pounding over this!

Let me set the scene. I am in my 5th season with my Virginia Tech Hokies, and I've made a ton of conference changes. I made the changes based on regions and states, and basically grouped teams into conferences that made sense geographically. So, for example, my ACC is like this

North
_______
-Virginia Tech
-Virginia
-West Virginia
-Cincinnati
-Tennessee
-Louisville

South
________
-North Carolina
-South Carolina
-NC State
-ECU
-Clemson
-Kentucky

Anyways, so I am in game 6 of my 5th season sitting at #2 with a 5-0 record. We were hosting #15 4-0 South Carolina for control of the ACC conference. It was a rainy and cold game at Lane Stadium, and we were fresh off 5 consecutive walk-off wins after scoring over 60 twice and comfortably winning the other 3 games. In the last several seasons, our rivalry has died down as South Carolina has been rebuilding and the games haven't been close. The first 2 years, we met in the ACC Championship and every game was a dog fight.

Fast forward to the game, and all I have got to say is get your popcorn. In 5 seasons, I have lost 1 game and that was to Ohio State in my home opener in my 3rd season. Outside of that, I have won all of my other games (not by blow-out fashion, however - we have escaped probably 20-25 last second situations with winning by the skin of our teeth). I have my sliders set very difficult to where I have to claw and fight to produce against the CPU and to shut them down. I play 10 minute quarters, and I play in a realistic manner. I don't play online, so I am not a cheeser. I LOVE simulation, so I try my best to play this way every single game.

#15 South Carolina Gamecocks vs. #2 Virginia Tech Hokies

Hokies won the toss and elected to defer possession to the second half. So the Hokies lined up to kick the ball, attempted a squib kick just to catch them off guard but turned out to be a bad decision. Their slot receiver recovered the ball, broke 3 tackles and returned it all the way to the Hokies 20 yard line. On their first play from scrimmage, their tail back Wilds busts through the linebackers 20 yards for a touchdown, and within 11 seconds, were down 7-0.

On the ensuing possession, Hokies went three and out, and they got the ball right back. After a big punt return and a huge pass play, their qb McEvoy connected with S. Jeffery for a 10 yard td pass, and Hokies went down 14-0. After trading three and outs, late in the first quarter, on a routene handoff to tail back Brandyn Washburn, their defense wrecks him forcing the fumble, and Lloyd picked it up and returned it 42 yards for a touchdown, and Hokies then go down 21-0.

On the very first play of the next drive, Jarred Cross throws a ball over the middle a little high, and it was picked off by their linebacker. On the very next play, McEvoy hits Jeffery again this time for a 24-yard td pass, and Hokies go down 28-0 with 1:22 left in the quarter.

Jerome Sparks finally got something going on the kickoff, as he busted through the left side and jetted 98 yards for a touchdown to decrease the deficit 28-7.

In the second quarter, it didn't take South Carolina long to pick up where they left off as Olsen busted a run for 13 yards for 6, and they took a 35-7 lead.

On the next drive, a errant pass from Cross was picked off deep in their territory, and a few plays later, Miller busts a 47 yard run up the gut for a touchdown, and the Gamecocks took a 42-7 lead with 5:14 left in the half. At this point, our entire team was gassed and completely out of sorts. We had to completely abandon the running game and just stick with the passing game out of our pistol playbook.

After another three n out, Hokies lost even more momentum as South Carolina looked to score again. Luckily, Jared Ryan, Sophomore stud defensive end was the one difference maker on defense, as he broke through, recorded his 3rd sack and forced the fumble, and Dadi Nicolas recovered the loose ball and returned it 27 yards for a touchdown. Hokies were finally back on the board 42-14.

It was short lived however as on the ensuing kickoff, Dougherty fielded the ball dead on the goal line, busted right up the gut through the kick coverage, and returned it 100 yards for the score, as SC took a 49-14 lead with 3:08 left in the half (yes, CPU returned a kick for 6!).

Hokies finally decided to buckle down on the next drive and try to get some points before half knowing that they would get the ball back after the break. Cross put together a long methodical drive capped off by a 17 yard td pass to Delonte Reese with :13 left in the half. The extra point boinked off the upright, and they went into the locker rooms losing 49-20 at the half.

To start the second half, Hokies offense reverted back to sloppy and lazy, and they would get the ball back, and then capitalize on the momentum after Wilds busted a 44 yard touchdown run with 7:57 left in the 3rd quarter to take a 56-20 lead. At this point I started just trying my best to get a first down, much less score or prevent them from scoring.

However, Hokies would garner a little momentum on the next drive that was capped off with a 10 yard touchdown pass to Corey Fuller, but the 2 point failed and we trailed 56-26.

The gamecocks would tack on a field goal on the next drive and take a commanding 59-26 lead.

Unbeknownst to either team, this would be the last time we'd see the Gamecocks put any points on the board for a while. Directly following the field goal, Cross led a methodical 3 minute drive capped off by a 4 yard Washburn touchdown with a successful 2 point conversion, and the Hokies were right back in it down 59-34.

After forcing a 3 and out, the Gamecocks punted to the Hokies, and to start the 4th quarter, we had the ball looking to try and score quick. It would only take 1:24 for us to capitalize, as Cross connected with Ryan Malleck for a 7 yard td pass with a failed 2 point conversion to make the score 59-40. Still a long ways to go, but certainly a lot more feasible than what we faced in the 3rd quarter.

Another quick three and out forced by the Bud Foster defense, and the Hokies took over possession. On the second play on the ensuing drive, Cross connected with Corey Fuller for a 59 yard post that dropped right over the safety's head for a touchdown, and after another failed 2 point conversion, the Hokies were down 59-46 with 7:32 left in the game.

A more sustained possession on the next drive by the Gamecocks ended up deep into Hokie territory with around 5 minutes left. On 3rd down, the Hokies got a sack from their All American nose tackle Corey Marshall and forced a field goal attempt. A water-logged ball was kicked into the wind, but the ball bounced off the uprights and the Hokies had new life with less than 5 to go. On the first play, Delonte Reese broke behind the safety on a post, and Cross hit him in stride before the safety dove and caught his shoe strings at the 10 yard line. 3 plays later, Cross busted it in the endzone on a qb sneak for the touchdown with 4:20 left in the game, and the Hokies were down 59-53.

Gamecocks took over possession, but this time would finally show that fire from the beginning of the game and would fight back and produce a methodical drive that was pushed into Hokie territory. On 3rd n 5 with 1:29 left in the game, Cameron Davis, the Senior stud linebacker would bust through the gut and sack McEnvoy, and gave the Hokies the ball with 1:22 left and 2 timeouts. Down 6 points, a touchdown would win the game by 1. Anything less would result in a loss for the Hokies.

Cross would connect on 3 big pass plays to push well into Gamecock territory. However, on 2nd and 10, rookie guard Lawrence would get flagged for holding, and the Hokies were now facing 2nd and 20. On the next play, an open Skylar Davis was hit when the ball was at his finger tips, and he dropped the ball incomplete. Facing 3rd and 20 with :59 left, Cross dropped back, had quick pressure in his face so he forced a pass to Davis, but their corner jumped the ball and intercepted the pass, and pretty much ending all hopes for a Hokie comeback.

With :46 left and 2 timeouts, the Hokies were pretty much out of chances. However, on first down, Olsen got the handoff and busted through the left side of the line untouched and took it 42 yards to the house with :36 left in the game. A failed 2 point conversion left the score 65-53. With :36 left in the game, though, the Hokies were pretty much counted out.

But, the Hokies never give up and always fight to the final whistle, and that they did. Cross would take to the field after a return by Sparks gave them possession at the 32 yard line. 3 incomplete passes in a row left Cross facing 4th down and 10 with :19 left in the game. Everyone in the stadium knew that a hail mary would follow, but apparently the Gamecocks did not get the memo. Cross received the snap and fired a rocket to Sonny Thompson. Thompson reeled in a slightly underthrown ball, cuts away from the safety, and waltzes into the endzone for a 68 yard touchdown with :04 seconds left on the clock. The touchdown was great for stats, but with :04 seconds left, thats about all it was good for.

With the score 65-60, the Hokies still had 2 timeouts and they would at least attempt the onsides kick. We've seen a lot of crazy things happen in the college football world, so it was at least worth a shot. Kicker Gemara Parks lined up, connected with the top of the ball and the ball nose dived right inbetween two defenders. Receiver Leonard Nichols, utilizing his 6'6" frame dove inbetween the defenders and pounced on the ball, giving the Hokies possession at the 42 yard line with :02 left on the clock. Unbelievable!!! The Hokies had at least one more chance to try and score, and a touchdown would give them the win.

With two timeouts, the Hokies smartly called a timeout to allow the players to get their breath back and to allow them to think of the perfect play. On the previous drive, Cross found a mis-match with Gamecocks safety #24, and would attempt to find another similar weakness on this final play. Hokies came out with 3 wide receivers right, 1 left. Cross audibled to send a tight end down the center of the field to occupy one safety while Skylar Davis was sent on a streak down the right sideline with safety over time, conveniently the same safety that was burned by Thompson on the previous touchdown. At the hike of the ball, Davis burned straight through the press coverage and then sprinted straight down the field. The pocket sat up perfect around cross as he stood tall in the pocket, unloaded an absolute rocket down the field......

Spoiler

Shew...sorry for the long post, but for anyone that gets excited over close, nail biting games...this does NOT disappoint. I was on my feet after this game, hands down the most exciting and fun game I've ever played in video game football.

I had my NCAA 11 dynasty posted in the Dynasty HQ forums last year and went around 8-9 seasons (see signature), and had a lot of followers. I started a new one for my NCAA 12 dynasty, but due to lack of time, I had to stop posting. I've kept playing though, and this game has taken the cake. I had a 6 over-time game against Kentucky 2 seasons ago that I can post if anyone would be interested. I still have the highlights saved from that.

let me know what you guys think!!

Last edited by mm boost; 04-18-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Hands down, THE single best game of video game football...

Congrats on loving the game----keep enjoying it!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
MVP

Play it to death it a good game I'm still balling myself

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

If you like it, that's all that should matter. I get mad at this game and beat it up pretty good, and shouldn't be that way when other people enjoy it.

I was the same way in NCAA 2004, myself and 5 other buddies had a multiplayer dynasty when I was in college. We played about 6 years or so in it, and it was the most fun I'd ever had with a sports game.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
MVP

mm boost's Arena

OVR: 12

Exactly...I enjoy the crap out of this game. I did the same with NCAA 11...I played from July 2010 through September 2011 (waiting for patches to drop on 12, so I kept my dynasty going). It's all about finding ways to make the game fun for you. I customize all my players, I hold practices before the season to determine starters in certain positions, and I really get wrapped up into my dynasty. I don't just play a game, sim through recruiting, and then rinse and repeat. I spend a lot of time wrapped up in my dynasties. I do the same thing with my Dallas Cowboys franchise on Madden '12. I alternate between the two games every 2-3 days so I don't get tired of one. I get burned out on pro, I play college for a couple days before I get the urge to play pro again. It keeps everything fresh for me.

These games are what you make of them. I could spend all day on here posting and complaining about EA sports and the games they create, but instead I choose to spend my time finding ways to enjoy the game. I played football for 17 years (including 5 years of college), and this is the only way I get to keep living out my football fix. I tunnel it into these games, and I get my games in at night after my wife is in bed and after a long day at work. It is my perfect escape from reality for 2 hours.

If you guys would like to read about the Kentucky 6-over time game I had from 2 seasons ago, let me know and I will post that one as well.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Pro

KushNstien's Arena

OVR: 8

that was amazing i read this whole post..good job!

im still having fun in this game, still in a few OD.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 3

Wow you just commited a Cardinal Sin on this site. Wouldn't be surprised if you got a message from a Moderator and got a ban notice.

That said, I loved reading your post. Quality stuff man, good to see some people on here that aren't so sinical.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
MVP

Funny....maybe not the mods but for sure other posters

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »