Home

Medical Red Shirt

This is a discussion on Medical Red Shirt within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Pro

Balrog's Arena

OVR: 14
Medical Red Shirt

I was wondering if we will ever see this. I know when my star players get hurt (every year it seems like) I should be able to get a medical red shirt and at least 1 more playing year out of them. I know its a very small problem on a long list but I would really love having my star player back another year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Pro

Balrog's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Medical Red Shirt

No one?
Old 06-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog
No one?
You are correct; this needs to be in the game! And it was in back in the PS2 days. And yes, it sucks when one of your star players gets hurt in week 2 or 3 of his Senior season and is out for the remainder of the year and you know he'll never play for you again!

We ALL want this feature back in the game. Question is: When will EA give it back to us???

Old 06-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Rookie

marxshut's Arena

OVR: 5

NCAA actually has this close to correct, because it's not really in the game as you are describing it.

Only if a player is hurt BEFORE he plays a game in the season AND has not already used a redshirt year, can he be given a "Medical Redshirt". This would never happen in the EA game because players don't get hurt in on the off season.

If a player is hurt after playing at least 1 game, but not more than 3 of the season's games, he can be given a Medical hardship waiver. However if this extends the player's eligibility beyond the 5 year clock the school would have to file for an extension of the 5-year clock only after the player's five years are up. For example. Your player redshirts his first year, plays the next two and is hurt in his redshirt Jr season (4th year on campus) in the 2nd game. He cannot apply for the extension of his 5-yr clock until his eligibility is up. These extensions are rarely granted, even in the event I described above, where a player is hurt under the conditions of the medical hardship. The NCAA rarely grants a 6th year of eligibility.

The only case you could use the medical hardship in this game is if you had a player who didn't redshirt get hurt in one of the first three games of a season. I think the odds of this happening are so slim, it's not really worth having it in the game.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxshut
NCAA actually has this close to correct, because it's not really in the game as you are describing it.

Only if a player is hurt BEFORE he plays a game in the season AND has not already used a redshirt year, can he be given a "Medical Redshirt". This would never happen in the EA game because players don't get hurt in on the off season.

If a player is hurt after playing at least 1 game, but not more than 3 of the season's games, he can be given a Medical hardship waiver. However if this extends the player's eligibility beyond the 5 year clock the school would have to file for an extension of the 5-year clock only after the player's five years are up. For example. Your player redshirts his first year, plays the next two and is hurt in his redshirt Jr season (4th year on campus) in the 2nd game. He cannot apply for the extension of his 5-yr clock until his eligibility is up. These extensions are rarely granted, even in the event I described above, where a player is hurt under the conditions of the medical hardship. The NCAA rarely grants a 6th year of eligibility.

The only case you could use the medical hardship in this game is if you had a player who didn't redshirt get hurt in one of the first three games of a season. I think the odds of this happening are so slim, it's not really worth having it in the game.
I would politely disagree that it's not really worth having in the game. As far as 6th year players, Case Keenum played six seasons... and in what was supposed to be his final season he was injured against UCLA, but was granted a sixth year.

So... w/ all that said, they need to include Medical Redshirts/Hardships and everything else that is in real life. You can't use a motto of - It's In The Game - when it's actually, ya know, NOT in the game!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxshut

very incorrect, as it only if you play in over 30% of the seasons games you lose your ability to be reshirted. Tons of guys every year are hurt in season and granted redshirts. this was they way it was set up on ps2. 30% is the cuttoff. you can recieve two years of redshirts and up to 6 years of play even though my buddy holds the record for most seasons with 8 at UL lafayette. Redshirts are not granted till season end. Players have been hurt and missed alot of the season, come back late and they get hurt again but played under 30% of games and were granted redshirs. alot times they dont like to grant if you play then have games you sit out then play again.
there are also grey shirts.

If something changed this offseason I missed it but if you can prove what you say then please post link.

Last edited by thelasthurtknee; 06-14-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Ohhhhh pshhhh c'mon guys reaction time is way better
Old 06-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
Rookie

marxshut's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelasthurtknee
very incorrect, as it only if you play in over 30% of the seasons games you lose your ability to be reshirted. Tons of guys every year are hurt in season and granted redshirts. this was they way it was set up on ps2. 30% is the cuttoff. you can recieve two years of redshirts and up to 6 years of play even though my buddy holds the record for most seasons with 8 at UL lafayette. Redshirts are not granted till season end. Players have been hurt and missed alot of the season, come back late and they get hurt again but played under 30% of games and were granted redshirs. alot times they dont like to grant if you play then have games you sit out then play again.
there are also grey shirts.

If something changed this offseason I missed it but if you can prove what you say then please post link.
It is something I read off of a compliance manual somewhere and it seemed consistent with what I have seen happen before. Clemson has had a couple of players sustain injuries in the first game of their redshirt SR. season (i.e. their 5th year). Clemson petitioned the NCAA for a 6th year on their behalf but it was denied. I'm not saying some aren't approved, but my point is, that it's not a given you get the 6th year that even though you meet the criteria for medical hardship.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D111.pdf

14.2.1.5 addresses the 5-year clock and 4 years of competition rule.

14.2.4c address the hardship waiver and the 30% criteria for team sports to get an extra year of competition (not an extension to the 5-yr clock).

While admittedly confusing, the way I read it is that you can get a medical hardship for an extra year of competition if you stay within the 5-year clock (5 year clock for 4 years of competition) by meeting the 30% criteria.

Going outside the 5-year clock requires NCAA approval and cannot be applied for until the 5-year clock has expired.

Thus my original point is your player would have to be hurt in the first 3 games, and not have already been red-shirted in order for you to use this feature, which to me, makes it far less important than other issues in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »