Home

Why include a manual over ride for one of the best features in years? NCAA 13 Icons

This is a discussion on Why include a manual over ride for one of the best features in years? NCAA 13 Icons within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #17
Banned

General Butt Naked's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Why include a manual over ride for one of the best features in years? NCAA 13 Ico

I think if you throw to a faded WR icon the QB should throw the ball in his direction but intentionally throw a bad ball at a safe place. Basically throw it in the dirt near the WR. The WR should continue his route as planned but you can turn into him to attempt to make the catch. What do you think?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #18
Rookie

Jaaa's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why include a manual over ride for one of the best features in years? NCAA 13 Ico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3
I will never question a company for giving people more ways to play a game. More options are good, in my opinion.
This this this this this this this this this.

However, I would agree that in ranked games you should not be able to user catch with a receiver who is not looking, being that it is unrealistic and cheesy. But other than that, give me as many options as possible, and get the hell out of my way.

Last edited by Jaaa; 04-19-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #19
Rookie

Jaaa's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
What about WR & QB's who rely on timing?

Some receivers can run a sideline out, and know that when they turn aroudn, the ball will be on the way there.

I think if you have to wait for the receiver to "look" for the ball before the icon comes up, it's already too late. Either ur gonna get sacked or the DB will have too much time to react.
Well, when this feature is working the right way (and rest assured, it will not be in it's first implementation), you should be able to throw early and anticipate your receiver's break without question. This is fundamental to the passing game. What you should NOT be able to do, EVER, is switch to your receiver and quickly hit a button and he automatically adjusts to and "user" catches the football despite him being in a position that would not be humanly possible to achieve this. There needs to be an animation for each type of route break, with a certain point in each break when his head turns towards the QB, and only then can he begin to see the football. Hell, if EA wanted to get really realistic, there should even be a split second delay before he can begin to put his hands up, as it takes real humans a split second before their brains register that the football is coming towards them and they need to start putting their hands up. I can't wait for NCAA 2030!!!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #20
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoncold32
What about WR & QB's who rely on timing?

Some receivers can run a sideline out, and know that when they turn aroudn, the ball will be on the way there.

I think if you have to wait for the receiver to "look" for the ball before the icon comes up, it's already too late. Either ur gonna get sacked or the DB will have too much time to react.
You are thinking in terms of the receiver physically "looking" versus expecting the pass and there is a difference. I receiver should know beforehand when to expect the ball before physically looking for it.

My issue and I believe the OP's is that User control can override the in-game receivers timing for when to expect/be prepared to catch a potential pass.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
You are thinking in terms of the receiver physically "looking" versus expecting the pass and there is a difference. I receiver should know beforehand when to expect the ball before physically looking for it.

My issue and I believe the OP's is that User control can override the in-game receivers timing for when to expect/be prepared to catch a potential pass.
There already is a split second delay when switching players

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #22
Pro

Dbrentonbuck's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaa
Well, when this feature is working the right way (and rest assured, it will not be in it's first implementation), you should be able to throw early and anticipate your receiver's break without question. This is fundamental to the passing game. What you should NOT be able to do, EVER, is switch to your receiver and quickly hit a button and he automatically adjusts to and "user" catches the football despite him being in a position that would not be humanly possible to achieve this. There needs to be an animation for each type of route break, with a certain point in each break when his head turns towards the QB, and only then can he begin to see the football. Hell, if EA wanted to get really realistic, there should even be a split second delay before he can begin to put his hands up, as it takes real humans a split second before their brains register that the football is coming towards them and they need to start putting their hands up. I can't wait for NCAA 2030!!!!!
Yeah, I specifically talked to Justin Dewiel about this very thing and he confirmed that you can throw the ball before the icon is lit in anticipation of it being lit when the ball gets there and (in theory) this should work just fine. That is not what I am talking about.

In the example given on the out route. I want to be able to throw the ball in anticipation that when the ball gets there the WR will be ready to catch it, however, if you throw that ball say when he has only taken 2 steps toward the sideline, the ball should hit him in the back because in real life, no matter how good of a receiver he is he won't be looking for the ball that soon and you shouldn't be able to magically switch to that guy and make him catch something he would have no clue was even being thrown to him in real life.

I get what people are saying when they say, "I will never complain about having too many options". I have been playing games for about 35 years and 99 times out of 100 I would agree. The 1 out of 100 times I would disagree is when that option is unrealistic in a game that is striving to be realistic. In this case, a WR expecting the ball at a certain point based on the timing of the route is realistic.

Look, I understand the issue. There are people who play this as a competitive arcade game, and there are those who play this a simulation of the game of football. The former cares about scoring as many points as possible and winning every game they play. The latter cares about playing the game as close to the real life game it is meant to simulate as possible. Two different mentalities. Two different reasons for playing the game. All that I am saying is that it would be nice to have the option to make sure everyone is playing by the same rules. There should be an option to turn user catching before the icon is lit off for both users in head to head or for everyone in an online dynasty.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #23
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

The conceit of video game football is that any player controlled by the user has their awareness taken over by that user. Free Safeties suddenly play their position really well (or really poorly, depending on the user), regardless of their "mental" ratings (such as awareness, play recognition, etc), QBs make the right (or wrong) read regardless of their awareness, etc etc. It's the same for WRs now, apparently. It's the tradeoff for giving the user control over players in such an omniscient fashion. It's not ideal, but then again, video game sports have never been "ideal". In basketball games you can make literal no-look passes to guys who would never be seen otherwise, you can see picks and screens even when your controlled player can't, you can jump passing lanes your player can't see, etc. etc. It's just a problem with the mechanics. But how do you fix it? First person view? Heck no.

What EA needs to do is implement rooms and custom rulesets in online. Maybe there's a room where user catching isn't allowed. Maybe they allow players to create custom games where (for example) they can only control 1 player on offense and defense for the whole play, or any number of myriad options. Although the matchmaking stinks, in Call of Duty you can find rooms where the gametypes are hammered down to a narrow focus (kill confirmed without killstreaks is my favorite one so far) and play to your heart's content. We should have that.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #24
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
The conceit of video game football is that any player controlled by the user has their awareness taken over by that user. Free Safeties suddenly play their position really well (or really poorly, depending on the user), regardless of their "mental" ratings (such as awareness, play recognition, etc), QBs make the right (or wrong) read regardless of their awareness, etc etc. It's the same for WRs now, apparently. It's the tradeoff for giving the user control over players in such an omniscient fashion. It's not ideal, but then again, video game sports have never been "ideal". In basketball games you can make literal no-look passes to guys who would never be seen otherwise, you can see picks and screens even when your controlled player can't, you can jump passing lanes your player can't see, etc. etc. It's just a problem with the mechanics. But how do you fix it? First person view? Heck no.

What EA needs to do is implement rooms and custom rulesets in online. Maybe there's a room where user catching isn't allowed. Maybe they allow players to create custom games where (for example) they can only control 1 player on offense and defense for the whole play, or any number of myriad options. Although the matchmaking stinks, in Call of Duty you can find rooms where the gametypes are hammered down to a narrow focus (kill confirmed without killstreaks is my favorite one so far) and play to your heart's content. We should have that.
Great points and I agree. I would love an option to use a field level game play view instead of the default game play view. Would be fun for me to compete online against others locked into the exact same game play view.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »