Home

How do you determine the Middle Linebacker?

This is a discussion on How do you determine the Middle Linebacker? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: How do you determine the Middle Linebacker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGGswim
I'm hoping this doesn't come out as a stupid question, and I admit to not spending more time on trying to reason it out myself, but...
Does it make sense to replace the MLB in the dime, and maybe even the nickel, package with one of the OLBs who more often are faster/quicker and may even have higher coverage skills?
Thinking ahead, might that affect the nickel's LB package adversely, though?
In Dime, I always put my fastest, best coverage linebacker on the field. That usually is one of the outside linebackers. I've actually put a 7th defensive back at MLB in Dime using formations subs at times. Against teams that run 5 WR a lot, it gets allows you to man up on the inside slot WR with someone better at coverage than an LB. At that point, run fill isn't your concern.

I'm all about putting the best 11 players on the field, some times that means you're playing guys out of position in certain formations. If I'm strong at safety, instead of sitting that 3rd or 4th FS/SS, I'll let him play nickel CB or even outside linebacker.

I love moving guys down a position. S to CB/LB, LB to DE, etc.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #10
Rookie

Custon 89's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
In Dime, I always put my fastest, best coverage linebacker on the field. That usually is one of the outside linebackers. I've actually put a 7th defensive back at MLB in Dime using formations subs at times. Against teams that run 5 WR a lot, it gets allows you to man up on the inside slot WR with someone better at coverage than an LB. At that point, run fill isn't your concern.

I'm all about putting the best 11 players on the field, some times that means you're playing guys out of position in certain formations. If I'm strong at safety, instead of sitting that 3rd or 4th FS/SS, I'll let him play nickel CB or even outside linebacker.

I love moving guys down a position. S to CB/LB, LB to DE, etc.
It really helps when you play 3-4 Defense. My 3-4 usually blitz OLB/ILB (MLB in NCAA) like (NFL) Pitts' Zone blitz and The Ryan Family all out blitzes. So in most cases I have to play my SS/FS at certain postions.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniels2386
Be careful about subbing in a OLB for MLB. If your a good team or playing a bad team it may not matter as much, but your MORE susceptible to the run ESPECIALLY right at you. Dime defense is 4 down lineman with 1 backer. Dives right at this defense work REALLY well. Think about it you have 5 OL + TE (maybe 2 TE's depending on formation). Thats 6 blockers versus 4 DL + 1 undersized backer. Its a numbers game. Its only as difficult as a person makes it
Hahahaha like that matters.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #12
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custon 89
It really helps when you play 3-4 Defense. My 3-4 usually blitz OLB/ILB (MLB in NCAA) like (NFL) Pitts' Zone blitz and The Ryan Family all out blitzes. So in most cases I have to play my SS/FS at certain postions.
My problem is, I'm not really comfortable running 3-4. I'm just not used to calling plays out of it and any time I use it, I just struggle getting in a groove calling place.

Last year I ran 3-3-5 almost exclusively to get that extra guy in the box and utilize a bit more speed. The plays and angles just seem to work better for me.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #13
Banned

Daniels2386's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Hahahaha like that matters.....
Care to elaborate? I GUARANTEE you that you havent played more Madden or NCAA than me. It may say "rookie" next to my username, but best believe Im a season vet ... so go flame somebody who will buy your BS
Old 06-01-2012, 05:30 AM   #14
MVP

cparrish's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Care to elaborate? I GUARANTEE you that you havent played more Madden or NCAA than me. It may say "rookie" next to my username, but best believe Im a season vet ... so go flame somebody who will buy your BS
He's simply saying size does not matter in the game, which it doesn't. The ratings are all that matters. You could line up a 150lb DT, but if his ratings are all 90+, he's going to be unblockable.

Xbox 360: BuffEye Rosters
PS3: BuffEyeRosters
Old 06-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter
I saw your thread got flamed on NCAA Strategeis so I'll post here. ( not sure why all the trolls,....)

You should count the number of player from the sideline. The first player, or the outside guy is #1(the CB). The next guy in is #2(a OLB in 4-3, a CB in dime,.....) The third guy in is the MIKE.

So in Nickle, the MIKE is the LB on the side of the 3rd CB. The MIKE can change if the 3rd CB goed with the motion across the formation.

Identifing the MIKE is a great tool to use against man2. you can get a fast player against a slow MIKE. Also indetifying the MIKE alllows set the preotection because you can anticipate a free rusher.
Where is the Mike in a 4-2-5 set?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
Pro

Ky3217's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Be careful about subbing in a OLB for MLB. If your a good team or playing a bad team it may not matter as much, but your MORE susceptible to the run ESPECIALLY right at you. Dime defense is 4 down lineman with 1 backer. Dives right at this defense work REALLY well. Think about it you have 5 OL + TE (maybe 2 TE's depending on formation). Thats 6 blockers versus 4 DL + 1 undersized backer. Its a numbers game. Its only as difficult as a person makes it
No offense, idk about you but, if a team lined up in a 2 TE formation I wouldnt come out in Dime. The only time I'd come out in dime against a team with a 1 TE set is if it were an empty backfield

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »