Home

CPU AI still going to know what play I am running?

This is a discussion on CPU AI still going to know what play I am running? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #33
Rookie

SalvArmyMatt's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: CPU AI still going to know what play I am running?

Nobody has been able to create a real authentic Human acting Artificial Intelligence. Not just in football games... but in everything. It hasn't been done.

If EA does it... then they need to get out of making football games and go work on making slave robots to do our bidding. (I ROBOT!)

In NCAA 2013 the CPU will find other ways to "cheat" you... but, mark my words... it will not feel like you are playing a human... because it is a computer.

You will just have to find ways to "cheat" him right back. Just like every single NCAA Football game ever!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 20

Jump the snap is a problem. Hard count and your guys false start. No hard count and the CPU jumps the snap about 80% of the time. It's one feature that needs to be removed
Old 05-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #35
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvArmyMatt
It is absolutely impossible to make a CPU/AI play like a human. The computer is not going to outsmart an even average player... that's the way it is going to be forever. The only way to make the game challenging is to give the computer some sort of edge, like: know what play you've called.

I am not against it at all. I read the defense and audible accordingly every single play.... (i.e. Oregon's offense... most fast pace spread offenses!). The computer has an advantage, he knows your play (whoopty doo)... you have an advantage... a brain! Freaking audible and burn him.

Maybe a LB jumps up and beats it down... this actually gives the computer some sort of chance!

Playing the computer has always been easy because the computer is predictable. No matter what, there are going to be things the computer will always fall for or things that work consistently because it is an AI.

If you want a real "sim" experience with the computer then sim the game. If you want to play the computer, then get used to unfair advantages because there is NO OTHER WAY.
Nobody is saying that it makes the game too hard. We are saying that it feels cheap and makes the game boring. Its not hard to score on the CPU when you call a play out of a 4 or 5 wide formation and the CPU lines up in base.

Madden a few years ago put in the gameflow system that gives each team tendencies on offense and defense for what play to call in each situation (what defense to call based on what offensive formation is used). I think something like that in NCAA will greatly help out with this issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #36
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
It is absolutely impossible to make a CPU/AI play like a human.
I just want to focus on this for a second and point out a couple of related events.

Before 1996, most thought we'd never see a computer beat a human chessmaster in Chess. Then Deep Blue came along and bested chessmaster Gary Kasparov on multiple occasions.

Before 2011, most thought we'd never see a computer even begin to compete on Jeopardy, let alone demolish the winningest players ever. Then Watson came along.

My point is that artificial intelligence is a very rapidly growing field. It's possible that we could see AIs not only in football games, but across all video game genres get much more complex and much smarter over time. I doubt we see any big breakthroughs on this generation of hardware, but I look forward to see what the long-term future holds.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #37
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

If EA implements true read-and-react defensive AI then this wouldn't have to be a part of their programming logic. As it stands, I see no proof or hype that says EA's announcement of read-and-react applies to anything more than DBs and WRs looking at the ball.

That is like 5% of the read-and-react picture. If EA would do it correctly, they could remove the psychic coordinators.

Give each player keys to read and react to multiple times throughout each play. The level of ability of the players determines how well they do this. It's how it works in real life. This would make matchups completely dynamic and would revolutionize the way we play the game on the field and how we recruit, etc.

It would make ratings actually matter. It's my single greatest hope for football video games and I wish more people would understand there is nothing more important to the core of football gaming than this at the current state of EA's football titles.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 25
One of the reasons I never use a spread team. Just inept in every way.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0xd1s4
Old 05-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
One of the reasons I never use a spread team. Just inept in every way.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?0xd1s4
Has anything been confirmed whether or not this has been fixed or at least modified. I mean it's nice the dynasty and presentation is updated but what about the in game AI issues. High jumping LB's, psychic DB, computer knowing immediately what play you'll run based on play chosen and also based on whether it's a run or a pass.

Fix this and my pre-order is in.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #40
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Nobody has been able to create a real authentic Human acting Artificial Intelligence. Not just in football games... but in everything. It hasn't been done.

If EA does it... then they need to get out of making football games and go work on making slave robots to do our bidding. (I ROBOT!)

In NCAA 2013 the CPU will find other ways to "cheat" you... but, mark my words... it will not feel like you are playing a human... because it is a computer.

You will just have to find ways to "cheat" him right back. Just like every single NCAA Football game ever!

Offense - 4 wide receivers

CPU - dime formation, random number generator to determine play

Caveat - If 3/4 of more of the last plays have been runs, go nickel.

Offense - 3 wide receivers

CPU - nickel formation, random number generator to determine play

Caveat - If 3/4 or more of the last plays have been runs, go 4-3.

Offense - 2 wide receivers

CPU - 4-3 formation, random number generator to determine play

This is a simple formula that can be programmed for CPU AI. Its already better than the current system, which is:

Offense - Run play

CPU - 4-3 defense, run stopping play

Offense - Pass play

CPU - Nickel/Dime formation, pass commit

So I think you're making it sound more complicated than it has to be. We don't need EA to necessarilly make the AI "intelligent" (although that would be nice) we just need some sort of programming sequence like this one which can at least make play calling attempt to be realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »