Home

How much time do you spend recruiting?

This is a discussion on How much time do you spend recruiting? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: How much time do you spend recruiting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I'm curious as to how much time people put into recruiting in this game week-to-week.

Do you just look at the level of the player (5-1 stars) and pick the guys that have the most interest in your school?

Do you look at a players' ratings to see if his skills match up with the schemes you are running on offense/defense?

Do you look at the tendency of a player and recruit a certain type of QB/WR/HB, etc.?

Does height/weight matter at all to you?

Do you stick strictly to Pipeline states or do you try and expand your recruiting arm to states outside of the Pipeline?

Do you ever make runs at guys that don't have your school anywhere on their list?
If I'm at a top tier school or built my school into a juggernaut, I sort by stars, then go into the ratings screen and look for the traits I want (depending on the position of course). I try to maintain my pipeline states but at a juggernaut school, I recruit nationally.

If I'm building up a program, I try to get in-state guys and border state guys.

I'm only concerned with height and weight with receivers or tight ends.

I try to get corners who play man to man well, safeties who play zone well, I move linebackers down to defensive end (I dont take credit for that, I got that tip from somebody on OS), and sometimes move safeties to linebacker. For the O-line, I want a pass blockers on the left side, balanced guys at center and right guard, run blocker at RT and I adjust the positional roster accordingly.

Speed runningbacks only. I try to avoid contact, don't want fumbles and every once in a while, I put the HB in the slot. Receiving TE's only or at least guys with good ratings. I dont need TE's blocking for me.

I prefer tall receivers but if the speed, acceleration and traffic catch ratings are there, I'll get a guy below 6 foot 2.

I bounce between mobile and pocket passers. In the end, it doesn't really matter, my receiving corp supports my QB. Also, they nerfed the mobile QB anyway. Back in NCAA 07, Vince Young could literally snap the ball and run around the entire defense for 20 yards before he was touched. Now, even if your QB is maxed out in everything, there's clearly a nerfing as you try to leave the pocket (at least in my experience).

If i'm at a crappy school, I don't go for guys who don't have me on the list, I know I don't have the juice to move up. If I'm at a juggernaut and I have hours upon hours left to spend, I'll make a run at a guy, especially if it's late in recruiting and no one has offered.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Pro

Xero Theory 42's Arena

OVR: 5

When i was building up Louisiana Tech, i would add all the guys that had me as their top school and recruit them, in the off-season i would always add one of those new recruits who was a 4/5 star and try to bring them in. i spend usually an hour on recruiting
Old 05-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Rookie

unc_kobw's Arena

OVR: 2

heres what i do: (online dynasty)

i first go position by position looking at how good all the players are.

i start adding players that have me in the top 10, but i usually dont go after any player that im behind over 300 points from the start. (i do make exceptions if there is no user controlled team in front of me)

after i add around 18-23. i search all recruits of who i am the top school on (dont add any players below a 4 star). then i do the same thing for top 3 schools.

next i go to all the recruits and sort them by 40 time. the only time i will add a 3 star is if there are near the top of their 40 time.

then last i go find a kicker/punter with at least an A- power (dont care about accuracy) and i throw him on the recruiting board.

my focus is always on skil players. if the #1 halfback doesnt have at least A- speed or acceleration, i dont recruit him hard. id rather have the #10 halfback who is faster than all of them. same thing at wr, speed is everything to how i play. i dont play as a power team, im trying to score at least 50 every game and i live for the big play. i put my wr's at my te positions as well. the qb position is the only one were i dont have to have speed. if ive got a pocket passing qb, then im okay with that. but i do prefer a qb than can move around, but is still a reliable passer. on defense im all about speed over power as well. my main focus it to have a faster secondary than anyone (long plays just dont happen against me). i recruit many linebackers as well bc i play a bunch of them on the d-line because of there speed. (in ncaa 2011 i signed the #1 athlete named archie archer who had 99 speed and 97 acceleration and started out as an 89 overall defensive end who dominated).

the first week of recruiting is the most important to me. i make sure to offer everyone who i am the top school on a scholarship first. i save 2-3 hrs at the end for my top 3-4 players to make sure i get a good start on them as well.

i always start out with florida by the way. and i get a lot of speed players out of that state.

i usually sign all 25 players. i hate having to cut 85+ overall players or 4/5 recruits i just signed. i wish the roster size was bigger, but i make it work with what im given.

Last edited by unc_kobw; 05-10-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
Rookie

Colt45's Arena

OVR: 7

When building up a program, you really don't have a bunch of options. I pretty much take 25 guys with the most interest in me. I've noticed that if you give a guy 30 minutes the first week, offer him a scholarship and find some topic where you can take away points from the CPU teams, they never recruit the player. This only works for mid-4*s and lower, though. I always sign all 25 players and then have to go on a cutting spree after training.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #13
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34

None, I just let the CPU do it for me. I'm only interested in playing the games and keeping track of yearly standings. I was in an online dynasty last year where I had to recruit and it I found it rather boring.

Steelers: IX, X, XIII, XIV, XL, XLIII
Penguins:1990/91, 1991/92, 2008/09, 20015/16, 2016/17
Pirates:1909, 1925, 1960, 1971, 1979
Panthers (FB): 1915, 1916, 1918, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1936, 1937, 1976
Panthers (MBB): 1927/28, 1929/30
Old 05-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghFan
None, I just let the CPU do it for me. I'm only interested in playing the games and keeping track of yearly standings. I was in an online dynasty last year where I had to recruit and it I found it rather boring.
I might be in the minority but i don't even get into recruiting at all.

I guess if EA actually represented player styles/tendencies on the field much better it would be worth my time.

But when i know a guy should be a speed rusher and he doesn't perform any speed rush moves on the field then really it's a waist of my time to spend hours recruiting certain players.

The CPU AI needs a serious upgrade on the field. The players need to start having some kind of identity when they play.

Right now i just feel as if we are getting a bunch of players with numbers listed to rate them but those numbers have no bearing on the field.

The purpose of recruiting is to build up a program but also recruit players with different tendencies and abilities. If you recruit a big possession WR he should show traits on the field that make him appear as that type of player.

I really haven't been motivated to recruit players in like 6-7 years with this game. The last time i actually enjoyed it and spent time diving into it was NCAA 06 on the PS2.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #15
Rookie

orangeafroman's Arena

OVR: 3

I don't recruit in-season, but get plenty of signees.

I used to care about H/W, but there are so few DEs and such that are 6'4"+ that it's a waste of time. I'd rather get the 6'1" 232 lb guy who's good.

I don't care what type of player it is, just if he's quality.

Actually, I only thoroughly recruit in week 1 of the off-season recruiting, then sim the rest. I go after the highest-rated guys who already have me in their top 3.
I'm Florida, so that probably helps give me the luxury to do so.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »