Home

In this thread, discuss all the things NOT

This is a discussion on In this thread, discuss all the things NOT within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #49
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: In this thread, discuss all the things NOT

I doubt it has much to do with a lack of talent—or even desire by the developers of the NCAA series. As others have said, EA is a business and their activities are motivated by generating profit. The NCAA is a pretty complex business property itself. I'm betting that even if the NCAA rights were fair game for any developer to license it wouldn't exactly be the hottest thing. College football is a hard sell as a video game, and it's probably difficult to make such a title under a sound business model that covers its costs and generates profits in the range that EA's higher ups want.

I think at the beginning of this generation we saw a combination of so many unfortunate things. Dev costs went up substantially, complexity increased a great deal, and EA still needed to put out a product to generate revenue based on their profit model—and also have them make as much money as they did before (when the game was still $60). It seems like Tiburon was really lacking the time and resources afforded to FIFA for instance to properly develop something as complex as a "next-gen" football game.

One last thing, for guys that have said it would be great if they just ported last-gen. Can you imagine how that would have gone over at the time? We have these new and more powerful consoles and this major developer is not really embracing them? While players like us might be happy I'd bet the more typical buyer of the game would not find much incentive if it didn't really attempt to match the experience of other "next-gen" games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »