Home

The average player speed needs to be adjusted in NCAA Football 13

This is a discussion on The average player speed needs to be adjusted in NCAA Football 13 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The average player speed needs to be adjusted in NCAA Football 13

I know that we have minimum speed threshold, but there needs to be a change to the speed ratings. It begins on the defensive side of the ball.

A run stopping defensive end should have a speed (agility and acceleration also) of 58-64, a balanced should have 65-69, and a pass rusher should have 70-75, with the occasional elite pass rusher up to 80 speed, 80 agility, 85 acceleration.

Run stopping linebackers should have speed of 68-73, balanced should be 74-77, and coverage should be 78-83, with the occassional player possessing 88 speed or so.

Hard Hitting defensive backs should have speed from 82-86, balanced should have 87-90, and coverage should have 91-93.

What this would do is make speed matter more. Now, we know that the CPU is by default faster than the user (Or at least I think so), but this would help balance that.

Next up, running back speeds should be adjusted accordingly. Power backs should have speed from 83-87. Balanced backs should be 88-90, and Speed backs should be 91-93, with the occasional Jeff Demps or De'Anthony Thomas up at 97 or so.

Possession wide receivers should have speed from 82-86, balanced should be 87-89, and speed should be 90-93.

What all of this would do is increase the importance of speed rating. Speed is the single most innate attribute in football players. The old coaching adage says "You can't teach speed." Speed has been miserably abused by the developers. I'll find myself using Oregon and LaMichael James, who has 95 speed, 94 agility, and 96 acceleration (I think those are it, but they are around there). When running inside, an interior defensive lineman will constantly catch up to me, or a linebacker will sprint on through. When a player with 95 speed gets in the open, they should be far more elusive than they are.

Another thing that the developers have failed with is running around the pocket. They ought to revert to the button from Madden 06 where you could turn the passing icons on/off. Moving around in the pocket is impossible. You can't move quickly unless you sprint, which requires time to accelerate and you can only run in a straight line. If they fix both of these and make the break tackle rating for offense and tackle for defense important, with the addition that we already know passing will be fixed to a degree, this game could be sweet.

I find myself only playing it a good amount right now because I'm addicted to college football, and its the offseason so I need some way of seeing it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Banned

DJACK's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The average player speed needs to be adjusted in NCAA Football 13

Eh.. i'd say speed needs to matter less not more.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Wants wrong with having RB's and WR's in the 70 speed range?

If you want seperation having all types of skill players in the 80+ range isn't going to fix your problem especially with the way the game handles speed.

I've seen Power Backs in NCAA Football over the last 4-5 years have success running the ball without being rated in the 80 speed range.

Also acceleration is just as important as speed with EA's game. The problem with the DE's and DT's catching faster players from behind isn't really speed it's the acceleration ratings.

In that 1st 5-10 yards their acceleration is the rating that is being utilized to simulate the speed.

So for example if a defensive guy has 70 speed and 78 acceleration and the offensive player has 86 speed and 82 acceleration in the st 5-10 yards there is still a strong chance that the defender can catch him from behind.

Once they get beyond that 1st 5-10 yards then you will see the actual speed difference kick in between 70 speed vs 86 speed.

So i have no problems with speed being modified by EA....but most people assume it's the speed rating that allows faster players to get caught from behind when in reality it's the acceleration ratings that should take the biggest hit in reduction.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 05-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

my beef with speed in ncaa it needs to be relative to the position and overall speed of players. no way should linebackers be able to cover 99 speed wr across the field when the linebacker speed is 82.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 15

I completely agree with this and it is a huge problem in Madden as well. As soon as the ball is snapped everyone looks like the are moving around the field at light speed. Everything needs to slow down with more emphasis on player speed differential. Also, the animations play out way to fast in this game as well.

This is one of the biggest problems with the next gen "engine". I think only a complete re-write for locomotion could fix this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Speed is too high across the board in NCAA and Madden. Not only is it too high, but it is all in one big lump. 98% of all the WRs and CBs in the game on default EA rosters have speed from 88 to 98. I have a huge problem seeing 290 pound linemen with 88 speed. And on top of that, everybody acceleration by default is in the high 90s along with agility in the 90s.

Locomotion is based off of acceleration and agility. With everybody damn near maxed out in those 2 ratings from linemen to CBs, no wonder the locomotion don't look right with default NCAA and Madden rosters.

We have acceleration for a reason. Want a DE pass rusher, give him 66 speed and 99 acceleration. But when you have him with 88 speed and 99 acceleration, he basically as fast as most of the WRs and RBs in the game.

What we need is more separation of speed and acceleration among players. Everybody shouldn't be lumped up in the high 80s and 90s. Should be players with 50s speed, 60s speed, 70s speed, 80s and VERY FEW above 90 speed. And not everybody acceleration rating should be hire then their speed rating. Not everybody has a fast take off ability.

Nothing wrong with having a scrambling QB with 74 speed, as long as he has acceleration in the high 80s or 90s, he will be just as deadly as a 99 speed QB because of his quick initial burst. Same thing with power backs and full backs. Nothing wrong with them being in the 70s for speed.

Another thing that needs to to be turned down in ratings is pursuit. That rating is more of a hustle rating then anything else. Put it at 40 and above and that player will chase after you from end zone to end zone. Put it above 90 and they get a speed burst when they chase you down. Have it below 40, after 15 or 20 yards, they will give up chasing you and slowly slow down to a jog.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Wants wrong with having RB's and WR's in the 70 speed range?

If you want seperation having all types of skill players in the 80+ range isn't going to fix your problem especially with the way the game handles speed.

I've seen Power Backs in NCAA Football over the last 4-5 years have success running the ball without being rated in the 80 speed range.

Also acceleration is just as important as speed with EA's game. The problem with the DE's and DT's catching faster players from behind isn't really speed it's the acceleration ratings.

In that 1st 5-10 yards their acceleration is the rating that is being utilized to simulate the speed.

So for example if a defensive guy has 70 speed and 78 acceleration and the offensive player has 86 speed and 82 acceleration in the st 5-10 yards there is still a strong chance that the defender can catch him from behind.

Once they get beyond that 1st 5-10 yards then you will see the actual speed difference kick in between 70 speed vs 86 speed.

So i have no problems with speed being modified by EA....but most people assume it's the speed rating that allows faster players to get caught from behind when in reality it's the acceleration ratings that should take the biggest hit in reduction.
Yeah you're probably right with the 70 range just I know from EA it would never happen. They could never deal with 50 speeed Defensive Ends. I'm just sick of running the zone read with Oregon where its hit or miss. It also has to do with how the CPU knows exactly what play you're running which is why I prefer online.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Speed is too high across the board in NCAA and Madden. Not only is it too high, but it is all in one big lump. 98% of all the WRs and CBs in the game on default EA rosters have speed from 88 to 98. I have a huge problem seeing 290 pound linemen with 88 speed. And on top of that, everybody acceleration by default is in the high 90s along with agility in the 90s.

Locomotion is based off of acceleration and agility. With everybody damn near maxed out in those 2 ratings from linemen to CBs, no wonder the locomotion don't look right with default NCAA and Madden rosters.

We have acceleration for a reason. Want a DE pass rusher, give him 66 speed and 99 acceleration. But when you have him with 88 speed and 99 acceleration, he basically as fast as most of the WRs and RBs in the game.

What we need is more separation of speed and acceleration among players. Everybody shouldn't be lumped up in the high 80s and 90s. Should be players with 50s speed, 60s speed, 70s speed, 80s and VERY FEW above 90 speed. And not everybody acceleration rating should be hire then their speed rating. Not everybody has a fast take off ability.

Nothing wrong with having a scrambling QB with 74 speed, as long as he has acceleration in the high 80s or 90s, he will be just as deadly as a 99 speed QB because of his quick initial burst. Same thing with power backs and full backs. Nothing wrong with them being in the 70s for speed.

Another thing that needs to to be turned down in ratings is pursuit. That rating is more of a hustle rating then anything else. Put it at 40 and above and that player will chase after you from end zone to end zone. Put it above 90 and they get a speed burst when they chase you down. Have it below 40, after 15 or 20 yards, they will give up chasing you and slowly slow down to a jog.
I agree with this completely. As some of you might remember, I re-edited every team last year using Skills & Playmaker suggestions and had some very good results. I am currently getting ready to update the rosters to 13 again with these type of suggestions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »