Home

How EA Missed the Boat on Heisman Challenge

This is a discussion on How EA Missed the Boat on Heisman Challenge within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: How EA Missed the Boat on Heisman Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrownsrevenge
The "instant classics" were my favorite mode outside of dynasty. They were a challenge, and for the younger generation of fans, sort of gave them a fun history lesson in CFB. Think of the Instant classics we could have since 06 when we had that mode:
-Boise State v.s. Oklahoma
Play the last drive with the hook and ladder, and statue of liberty play on the 2pt conversion.
- Texas v.s. USC
Replay VY's epic last drive to win it all.
- Auburn v.s. Alabama
Cam Newton's epic comeback v.s. the Tide on the road.
- Texas Tech v.s. Texas
Let's see if Crabtree and Harrell can pull it off again.
- Ohio State v.s. Miami
Play out overtime.
- Notre Dame v.s. USC
Re-write history and stop the "Bush push".
- Michigan v.s. Appalachian State
Play out the shocking ending.
- Florida v.s. Alabama
SEC title game.

I'm sure there are more. I always thought it would be cool to play with defensive players. Charles Woodson, Jonathan Vilma, Javon Kearse, and Ed Reed would be fun to play with. You could even have defining moments where you play as a defensive players to stop or recreate history. Also would be cool to see a return man mode with the likes of Ted Ginn, Devin Hester, and Tim Dwight.
Awesome post, barking up the right tree, minus the Cam "put the team on my back tho" performance for obvious reasons lol
Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicio10
Excellent insight, OP.

My issue with legends in any game is the way they're rated.

I'd love a game that was more like an almanac, and didn't just inflate the ratings of the legends, but rated them more accurately using rationale, not nostalgia.

Makes the accomplishments more satisfying.
Yeah i agree even if they added classic teams you can bet EA would assign all teams a 99 overall without any ratings differences.

I don't think EA has the people in place like NBA 2K who are passionate about Classic teams/Players.

Half the players will be recreated the wrong skin color or wrong Jersey number. (we'd still have to edit the teams ourselves)

Think about it do really think EA is going to put in quality time researching 50+ players for each classic team?

Their is no way in hell i would pay for DLC that was half azz done when i can just create the teams and players myself putting more passion and effort into it.

I think the individual Heisman Players is just easier for them because that way they can just focus on 16-20 invidual players slap a 99 overall rating on them and be done.

Adding true Historical teams requires time and research and if you can't program a team like Georgia Tech to run the Option Attack I have no cofidence that they can make a Historical Nebraska team with Tommie Frazier run it properly.

If they want to add Old School gear and Uniforms to the game as DLC I'll be all over it....but if it's for teams only I'd rather spend the hours doing the work myself that is how much confidence i have in their ability to re-create these teams and players being suggested in this thread.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 06-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #35
Pro

shaunlmason's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
At this point, I'm not entirely sure what more people want from dynasty in the current generation of games. They fixed recruiting and added scouting, it is what it is. I don't see how dynasty mode requires any more attention outside of a few tweaks like being able to select weather, being able to schedule neutral site games and a few other very minor things.

When the next generation comes around, dynasty (online and off) will need to take a big step forward, but they've done all they can do with the game mode for this generation.

In terms of game play, many of the suggestions made above would go hand in hand with improving it. By adding authentic old time offenses, things like the option, running styles, player models and movement would all have to improve. They are hand in hand. That is one of the points of my post, EA needs to start instituting game modes that improve game play simultaneously.
I disagree, I've got a laundry lists of wants for dynasty. I realize it isn't politically correct for me to say this, but IDGAF about these modes and if it were at my sole discretion I would axe all of them modes outside of Play Now and Dynasty.

Thankfully for a lot of people, I don't get to make that call, LOL. There are Game Changers that love RTG, Heisman Mode and even one who loves mascots, even though I make fun of him for it by using the Allen Iverson "We talking 'bout Mascots (practice)?" line every time he talks about them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #36
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Mason
I disagree, I've got a laundry lists of wants for dynasty. I realize it isn't politically correct for me to say this, but IDGAF about these modes and if it were at my sole discretion I would axe all of them modes outside of Play Now and Dynasty.

Thankfully for a lot of people, I don't get to make that call, LOL. There are Game Changers that love RTG, Heisman Mode and even one who loves mascots, even though I make fun of him for it by using the Allen Iverson "We talking 'bout Mascots (practice)?" line every time he talks about them.
That's how I feel as well, so I'm glad that you're there advocating for all of us Dynasty snobs.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:23 AM   #37
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Quote:

I'd go one step farther and have the entire game be online based. Dump Heisman Challenge, RTG, Mascot Mode, One Button Mode and whatever the hell else there is that I've never played and have all dynasties online based.

That isn't to say Play Now and offline dynasties wouldn't work without an internet connection, it would just allow everything to be stored, accessed and edited online. That means playbooks to settings to rosters to single user or multi-user dynasties, all able to be accessed in their entirety from a computer. I think all users, both online and off, would love that ability.

And most importantly, it takes a significant amount of memory off the disc and makes it streaming. That makes load times faster, allows many of the smaller off the field glitches to be patched and resolved from the server side without requiring a time intensive and slow developing patch.

Now I'm not entirely sure how or even if this is possible, but I think it could help add another layer of immersion to the game that I feel is lacking. I've been a huge fan of the new OD website that was released for 12. It offers a great amount of interaction and control without needing to be on the console. Now just think if something similar could be done for editing/naming rosters, creating playbooks and maybe in the future, creating and editing plays.

I'm just throwing stuff out here. I agree for the most part that EA needs to streamline more than it needs all these random game modes. That's why I feel like situational classics or historical RTG would be more in line with what EA should be doing, just because it would be easily integrated into what they already have.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:25 AM   #38
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
That's how I feel as well, so I'm glad that you're there advocating for all of us Dynasty snobs.
I would like to hear some of those dynasty ideas though. I had intended this to be an idea thread. Not a wishlist thread, just ideas and thoughts on the direction the series should be headed.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #39
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrownsrevenge
The "instant classics" were my favorite mode outside of dynasty. They were a challenge, and for the younger generation of fans, sort of gave them a fun history lesson in CFB. Think of the Instant classics we could have since 06 when we had that mode:
-Boise State v.s. Oklahoma
Play the last drive with the hook and ladder, and statue of liberty play on the 2pt conversion.
- Texas v.s. USC
Replay VY's epic last drive to win it all.
- Auburn v.s. Alabama
Cam Newton's epic comeback v.s. the Tide on the road.
- Texas Tech v.s. Texas
Let's see if Crabtree and Harrell can pull it off again.
- Ohio State v.s. Miami
Play out overtime.
- Notre Dame v.s. USC
Re-write history and stop the "Bush push".
- Michigan v.s. Appalachian State
Play out the shocking ending.
- Florida v.s. Alabama
SEC title game.
I was willing to look past your terrible avatar to read your post but then you had to mention this?! lol #GoBlue #BeatOhio
Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #40
Pro

shaunlmason's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
And most importantly, it takes a significant amount of memory off the disc and makes it streaming. That makes load times faster, allows many of the smaller off the field glitches to be patched and resolved from the server side without requiring a time intensive and slow developing patch.
This isn't correct from a technical standpoint:
  • You cannot offload rosters, settings, etc. "to the cloud" without requiring an internet connection, which would "break the game" when you had no connectivity. Even if you are just caching it online to be used by external programs, you have to have the data on disc for those without connections.
  • Even if you could, accessing data via remote connection is inherently slower than local access.

I'm not 100% sure because I've never came out and asked, but I don't personally believe that disc space is the limitation for some feature changes (roster size, etc.). The difference in 8,364 players in the initial data set (124 teams x 68 players) vs 10,292 players (124 teams x 83 players) is pretty minimal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »