Home

NCAA Football 13 Screenshot - Field Degradation

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 13 Screenshot - Field Degradation within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #73
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NCAA Football 13 Screenshot - Field Degradation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydNDLAL
Pretty sure it is better grass. College/Professional make a lot of money so wouldn't it make sense that they keep the grass in best conditions as possible, because if it were to be that everyone was sliding and it cost you a game just because everyone was sliding all over the place. Am pretty sure everyone would be frustrated losing a game over that reason when they could of simply kept it maintained to where it wouldn't tear causing players to slide, fall, slip, etc.
Not only that, they re-sod the field multiple times per year. So not only does the field have better drainage, and probably higher quality dirt, it's new more often that it's not.

And that's not even counting field turf!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #74
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky3217
So college/professional grass is better than normal grass? lol

I think you'll find that no matter where it is, grass, is grass.
No, college/professional grass is better maintained than "normal" grass. You know that Steelers mud bowl game at Heinz Field you linked to? 6 days later they played a home game on the same field and the field was fantastic. Why? Because the grounds keepers and facilities maintenance guys for NFL and college teams get A LOT of money to make sure the fields are in as good of condition as possible.

If a grass field gets too torn up, NFL and college teams can afford to replace part or all of the field. If the turn-around time is too quick for sod to take, they can do a pretty good job of repairing it and making it look good and play well. Teams with FieldTurf roll and brush the field turf after every game. If a part of FieldTurf were to get damaged, that individual roll can be pulled out and a replacement sewn in.

The reason the Chicago Bears grass is so terrible is because the Chicago Bears do not operate Soldier Field. It belongs to the Chicago Park District who in turn contracts some of the operations out to an independent company. Upside: Bears don't have to pay for it, Downside: The Chicago Park District can't afford it and so they let the grass get as damaged as possible before replacing it.

You're able to cherry pick these "disaster scenario" field situations because they often get the most air time and dramatic pictures, but the fact of the matter is, it happens maybe a few times a year at most all across football.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:11 AM   #75
Pro

Ky3217's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydNDLAL
Pretty sure it is better grass. College/Professional make a lot of money so wouldn't it make sense that they keep the grass in best conditions as possible, because if it were to be that everyone was sliding and it cost you a game just because everyone was sliding all over the place. Am pretty sure everyone would be frustrated losing a game over that reason when they could of simply kept it maintained to where it wouldn't tear causing players to slide, fall, slip, etc.
And it being better grass means it wont be torn out because? The grass will still get torn out. The field will still get muddy and torn up.

and you're point about losing because of weather conditions is? Anyone who's played the sport knows it's a part of the game. It happens. The other team is struggling with it just as much. Any player/coach/fan who blames a loss on field conditions/weather is just making excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Games where it gets super muddy are RARE.

Not sure how you can think otherwise unless you don't watch the sport.

But whatever, keep posting pictures of your little brother's pop-warner games and compare that to professionally-maintained fields (not located in Pittsburgh or Chicago).

I used to have season tickets for the Dolphins and Hurricanes, two teams that play in perhaps the rainiest part of the country. I have left more games soaked than I can even count. I know what wet football players look like when they're on a properly maintained field, and it looks NOTHING like what you posted.
You're clearly hating on the pictures just to hate, so whatever. Like I said, if you had actually read the post, you would have seen that I said I posted them because they were quick and easy to use. They were an easy depiction. But reading an entire post must be a foreign concept to you. Especially since you also ignored the fact that I mentioned playing on grass would make it much worse many times, even though not all teams play on grass.

Sure, muddy games may be rare. Mainly because you havent seen many football games played in the pouring rain lately. But they still happen.

I mean, is it bad that I can find pictures that prove you wrong? And yes, even though this dirt may possibly be from the old baseball field, it's highly unlikely that you went through the entire football game without seeing a dirty jersey like you're implying.

I also like how the fields that do get messy "dont count" because they "arent well maintained". Does the Notre Dame picture not count either because their field also isnt "well maintained?" What a cop out
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #76
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
I mean, is it bad that I can find pictures that prove you wrong? And yes, even though this dirt may possibly be from the old baseball field, it's highly unlikely that you went through the entire football game without seeing a dirty jersey like you're implying.
Possibly?

POSSIBLY?!

That's CLAY ON HIS ARMS!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #77
Pro

Ky3217's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
No, college/professional grass is better maintained than "normal" grass. You know that Steelers mud bowl game at Heinz Field you linked to? 6 days later they played a home game on the same field and the field was fantastic. Why? Because the grounds keepers and facilities maintenance guys for NFL and college teams get A LOT of money to make sure the fields are in as good of condition as possible.

If a grass field gets too torn up, NFL and college teams can afford to replace part or all of the field. If the turn-around time is too quick for sod to take, they can do a pretty good job of repairing it and making it look good and play well. Teams with FieldTurf roll and brush the field turf after every game. If a part of FieldTurf were to get damaged, that individual roll can be pulled out and a replacement sewn in.

The reason the Chicago Bears grass is so terrible is because the Chicago Bears do not operate Soldier Field. It belongs to the Chicago Park District who in turn contracts some of the operations out to an independent company. Upside: Bears don't have to pay for it, Downside: The Chicago Park District can't afford it and so they let the grass get as damaged as possible before replacing it.

You're able to cherry pick these "disaster scenario" field situations because they often get the most air time and dramatic pictures, but the fact of the matter is, it happens maybe a few times a year at most all across football.
Ok, quick couple of questions. Was the next week's game played in the rain? And ignore the maintenance for one second, which is more slippery? Dirt or Mud?

The basic point, the next game would have been better even if they hadnt re-sodded the field.

Plus, like I said, the grass will still get torn out over the course of a game even if it is better or new

I guess you have me with Soldier Field.

And I'll make this comment again, sure, it happens maybe a few times a year. But how many rainy games do we see a year?

Last edited by Ky3217; 06-30-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:19 AM   #78
Pro

Ky3217's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Possibly?

POSSIBLY?!

That's CLAY ON HIS ARMS!
Again with not reading the entire post. I'll say it again, just for you. It's highly unlikely you didnt see a dirty uniform like you're implying.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #79
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
Ok, quick couple of questions. Was the next week's game played in the rain? And ignore the maintnaince for one second, which is more slippery? Dirt or Mud?

The basic point, the next game would have been better even if they hadnt re-sodded the field.

I guess you have me with Soldier Field.

And I'll make this comment again, sure, it happens maybe a few times a year. But how many rainy games do we see a year?
In Miami? Like 4-6. And the players almost never look like what you posted, even in the worst case scenario, especially since the Marlins don't play there anymore.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:26 AM   #80
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
Again with not reading the entire post. I'll say it again, just for you. It's highly unlikely you didnt see a dirty uniform like you're implying.
You see dirty uniforms, for sure, but not filthy/muddy uniforms.

Nothing close to what you posted.

Check out the end of this game. It's POURING. Guys aren't really that dirty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzGyR...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRzC6...eature=related

Last edited by mrprice33; 06-30-2012 at 12:30 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »