Home

What playbook to use in NCAA 13?

This is a discussion on What playbook to use in NCAA 13? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: What playbook to use in NCAA 13?

I'm liking using Ohio State's playbook. I will check out the Texas State playbook later tonight after seeing what a couple of you are using.

Right now I am playing a run first spread offense focusing on the read option.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #26
Rookie

jarato's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
I did not but it was pretty simple. Under 150 plays and 12 formations. The key formations for me were Shotgun Normal HB Wk, Shotgun Wing Trips Wk, Shotgun Y Trips Wk and Shotgun Ace Twins Wk.

Every formation had 3 plays across the top, HB Counter/HB Sweep/Read Option. In the formations that had it, Buck Sweep replaced HB Sweep. I ran these all the time. I'd call HB Counter in the huddle and if the defense came out overloaded to the counter side, I would quick run audible to the sweep. After a few times of running the sweep, I'd sneak the read option in there. Read's really only made up a small percentage of my offense, just like they're only a small percentage of Oregon's offense, but they were hugely effective.

The next row had the "special" runs. Motion options, speed options and the occasional jet sweep. The row after that had my PA Read play, a screen and verticals. That's it. Occasionally one formation would have an extra row of plays depending on what that formation had. Shotgun Spread Flex was one of those.

That was the whole offense. Counter/sweep/Read and I ran the PA Read for almost all of my passes out of every formation. I'd hot route various routes as needed but more often than not I'd run it as designed and it was perfect.

You just have to get a feel for the play calling and reading the strengths of the defense at the line of scrimmage. I did not utilize a ton of no huddle, although against users I would run no huddle when facing 3rd or 4th and short just to hurry to the line and run a quick play before they could react.
Nice, yea I never liked all the filler plays they included. Gets overwhelming sometimes when you're looking for one specific concept or play.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #27
Rookie

Seems like you guys don't use a lot of plays then? Interesting. When I play online/offline I almost fill my playbook to its max, in case I need to change my gameplan around depending on the situation. If im up by 7, I need plays that'll fit that situation. Down by 14, whole new gameplan. I usually have a wide variety of formations with few plays, that way I can mix it up a lot with plenty of scheme changing, audibles, etc.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:22 PM   #28
Rookie

DownTownMcHale's Arena

OVR: 3

Anyone find a a good running playbook???
Old 07-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 12

All of the plays in every playbook are very similar...the only real difference is available FORMATIONS.

Personally I use the PB that belongs to the team I'm controlling. I try to keep it 100% real. Enjoy
Old 07-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #30
Rookie

jarato's Arena

Also PowerofRed, I noticed the affinity for HB weak side formations. Is this so the runs are into the TE or strong side and have you noticed a difference with the read option plays run to either side of TE or or trips formations.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #31
Rookie

newbsrus22's Arena

OVR: 1

I made a custom playbook but it's filled to the max. I have Ohio States playbook but took out a couple formations to add in the flex and the wing. Then I replaced the shotgun formations with only a few wideouts with some of Houstons 5 wide spread formations and I like it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #32
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarato
Nice, yea I never liked all the filler plays they included. Gets overwhelming sometimes when you're looking for one specific concept or play.
They're also organized horribly. Plays that should be close together aren't. I like organizing it with my own system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarato
Also PowerofRed, I noticed the affinity for HB weak side formations. Is this so the runs are into the TE or strong side and have you noticed a difference with the read option plays run to either side of TE or or trips formations.
I love HB Wk because I feel it forces the defense to show their hand. By lining up 3x1 (TE-WR-WR opposite the back), it forces the defense to commit to the strength of my formation. If they don't line up enough guys to that side, I can run my sweep right behind the TE and I've got numbers. If they do lineup to match my strength, I can run read option or counters opposite of the TE side and more often than not, no one is there.

All of my run calls were automatic based on defensive alignment. So if I saw this, all defenders aligned on their assignment and the defense rotated to the strength of my formation, it was an automatic counter or read option call attacking right at the backside end.

-------FS------------SS--------
--------------------------------
---------LB-------LB------------
CB---------------------NB----CB
------E--T---T--E--------------
WR---T-G-C-G-T-TE------------
-----------------------WR---WR
-------HB-QB-------------------

If the defense was aligned like this, they weren't acknowledging the strength of my formation and I ran Sweep right at the back of the TE. It was a hole to bounce run, meaning I look for my first opportunity to get vertical behind my block and bounce wide behind my WR's.

-------FS------------SS--------
------------LB----LB------------
CB--NB-----------------------CB

When the defense came out in this, rotating an extra man into the box, it was automatic pass call. Screen or PA Read depending on if that SS or a LB show blitz.

------------FS------------------
----- LB----LB----LB--------------
CB---------------------SS----CB

That is literally my entire offense. Counter/Sweep/Read in every formation, PA Read/Screen out of every formation. Occasionally if I felt it was set up, I'd work in a special play.

Special plays were just based on things I picked up, especially against users. In Shotgun Normal HB Wk, the QB Slot Option off of the read action look was deadly. I ran it maybe once a game and it went for huge yardage every time. Occasionally against 4-2-5/3-3-5 users, I would run a lot more motion option to get a scat back in space and option off the extra defender in the box.

I swear the offense was the most simple, basic thing ever (just like Oregon's real life offense) but it is truly deadly. 9-12 plays across 12 formations, every play carried over to over formation and was located in the exact same spot on the page and I got after it. I destroyed other users with that offense. I'm excited to try it again this year, although I also got a ton of joy running Tom Osborne's I formation option later in NCAA 12.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »