Home

Defending Four Verticals (Quarters Coverage)

This is a discussion on Defending Four Verticals (Quarters Coverage) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Defending Four Verticals (Quarters Coverage)

Excellent post. Many people I'm sure have no idea what defense to call to stop certain things. People will play man to man defense and/or blitz all game and wonder why they get run all over, not knowing the best defense to stop the run is sound zone coverage, seeing as everyone is looking at the ball rather than having their backs turned or looking at their man,and playing their run lane rather than blitzing and leaving huge gaps if the back gets through.

One thing I believe you stated incorrectly is that Cover 2 should only be mixed in sparingly or taken out. On passing downs, yes, but on first and second and expecting the run, you should be running Cover 2 or 3 the majority of he time, with a few blitzes and cover 6 slanted to the strongside sprinkled in. The cpu needs to be programmed to using man coverage on the majority of passing downs, seeing as man coverage is the best defense against the pass.

As stated by others, Cover 4 in NCAA has its issues, but Cover 2 Man defends against four verts just fine. Out of trips with the inside reciever cutting inside you can either shift the safeties in or back your corners off so man beating routes are not as effective.

Oher than in Cover 4, I believe the cpu generally does a good job for the USER at playing the assignment. When two users play against each other that actually know what each coverages strengths and weaknesses, it can be a beautiful thing. Like others have said, I would highly advise people to check out smart football: "understanding coverages" for a simple but effective summary of what each coverage's strengths and weaknesses are.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #18
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Jdewiel said today that they're aware of the bugs with zones and are working to resolve now.

But yes, there need to be better reads and checks for zones in the future. Some type of "option" system.
good thing they didn't have a whole year to work on them, nothing like turning in the correct homework a month after the due date.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #19
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSpartans11
Excellent post. Many people I'm sure have no idea what defense to call to stop certain things. People will play man to man defense and/or blitz all game and wonder why they get run all over, not knowing the best defense to stop the run is sound zone coverage, seeing as everyone is looking at the ball rather than having their backs turned or looking at their man,and playing their run lane rather than blitzing and leaving huge gaps if the back gets through.

One thing I believe you stated incorrectly is that Cover 2 should only be mixed in sparingly or taken out. On passing downs, yes, but on first and second and expecting the run, you should be running Cover 2 or 3 the majority of he time, with a few blitzes and cover 6 slanted to the strongside sprinkled in. The cpu needs to be programmed to using man coverage on the majority of passing downs, seeing as man coverage is the best defense against the pass.

As stated by others, Cover 4 in NCAA has its issues, but Cover 2 Man defends against four verts just fine. Out of trips with the inside reciever cutting inside you can either shift the safeties in or back your corners off so man beating routes are not as effective.

Oher than in Cover 4, I believe the cpu generally does a good job for the USER at playing the assignment. When two users play against each other that actually know what each coverages strengths and weaknesses, it can be a beautiful thing. Like others have said, I would highly advise people to check out smart football: "understanding coverages" for a simple but effective summary of what each coverage's strengths and weaknesses are.
I mis-stated what I meant on Cover 2...when I mean "taking it out," I mean taking it out for the CPU defensive playbooks (that, and the zone blitz stuff), since the CPU is prone to running both of those at really, really bad times. I'd probably leave 2 Sink in there, though.

For the user, there's enough Cover 2 variation between Cover 2, Tampa 2, and Cover 2 Sink, but you have to know which one to call and in what situations (and, more importantly, when to get out of it).
Old 07-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 2

How about defending the out pass this year? It's dominant. I've yet to be able to find anything to stop 12-15 yard outs other than manually trying to take away the pass with a help defender.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggler360
How about defending the out pass this year? It's dominant. I've yet to be able to find anything to stop 12-15 yard outs other than manually trying to take away the pass with a help defender.
Cover 2 sink, Double coverage on the reciever doing the out route and off man coverage should work. Off man and blitzing the quarterback so he has a hard throw to make or gets sacked before he can make the throw will work. A good corner should be able to jump that route unless the QB has a cannon for an arm.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #22
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggler360
buzz zone works against it
Old 07-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #23
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
Tight man to disrupt the timing should also work, provided you have good enough corners. Of course, any adjustment you make opens you up to something else, but that's football.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #24
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSpartans11
Cover 2 sink, Double coverage on the reciever doing the out route and off man coverage should work. Off man and blitzing the quarterback so he has a hard throw to make or gets sacked before he can make the throw will work. A good corner should be able to jump that route unless the QB has a cannon for an arm.
irl cover 2 could work but they combo that route up with someone underneath which takes the corner away and safety can only cover anything over the top.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »