Home

The Coaching Carousel Needs Significant Improvements

This is a discussion on The Coaching Carousel Needs Significant Improvements within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 AM   #17
Rookie

Colt45's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: The Coaching Carousel Needs Significant Improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcboiler87
It's not about me really. I mean I do have an issue with the fact that I was at a mid major and had a lot of success and was there for 8 years and couldn't get a sniff at a big prestigious program. That's not right. But the real problem is for me the CPU logic in hiring and firing and contracts. They don't make much sense. Good HC's from small schools and good coordinators from big schools aren't getting hired. It's the same problem where if you're not a coordinator, you're not getting a HC job.
Ah, well, I usually don't pay attention to who's coaching who, except to laugh at coaches like Les Miles getting fired from LSU, or wherever, and coaching in the MAC.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #18
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Looks like I will be lowering Coordinator's prestige again this year.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:32 AM   #19
On the road again

Blue's Arena

OVR: 20

There is one and only reason why this is happening
Heavy reliance on goal achieving in determining Coach Prestige
Lets say ULM has a terrible season 2-10 or something but the DC completes his goals his prestige skyrockets and a prestigious school hires him
How to fix this:
Limit how coaches change to its conference prestige
If a Duke coordinator plays well but the team still suffers he may be considered for a HC job in a low achieving conference like the Sun Belt
Or if a TX ST coordinator completes his goals and the team progresses to a solid 7-5 record then he may be considered for a HC job in the same conference or a one star school
So limit goal importance and add conference prestige and school rating(one star 2 star etc.) so the coaches progress in job status based on performance,strength of schedule and coaching background. Coordinators of one star and two star schools should be considered for head coaching jobs in similar performing schools same for higher starred/performing schools.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #20
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
Looks like I will be lowering Coordinator's prestige again this year.
Now there's an idea. I think I will give that a try and hopefully it will help (though I shouldn't have to do a work around to get the game to function properly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt45
Ah, well, I usually don't pay attention to who's coaching who, except to laugh at coaches like Les Miles getting fired from LSU, or wherever, and coaching in the MAC.
Well I do think it's important for what is going on elsewhere because it affects the competition we play against. I think a big part of the problem is that the teams are not really a reflection of the coach because coaches do not affect progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueDude
There is one and only reason why this is happening
Heavy reliance on goal achieving in determining Coach Prestige
Lets say ULM has a terrible season 2-10 or something but the DC completes his goals his prestige skyrockets and a prestigious school hires him
How to fix this:
Limit how coaches change to its conference prestige
If a Duke coordinator plays well but the team still suffers he may be considered for a HC job in a low achieving conference like the Sun Belt
Or if a TX ST coordinator completes his goals and the team progresses to a solid 7-5 record then he may be considered for a HC job in the same conference or a one star school
So limit goal importance and add conference prestige and school rating(one star 2 star etc.) so the coaches progress in job status based on performance,strength of schedule and coaching background. Coordinators of one star and two star schools should be considered for head coaching jobs in similar performing schools same for higher starred/performing schools.
I think you're on to something there. This should definitely be looked at and considered. Like the guy said above, maybe lowering the prestige of some of the lower school coordinators could have an effect. I'm going to give it a shot.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #21
Rookie

IronVictory's Arena

OVR: 8

After my first season as the DC of Texas State, Dennis Franchione (the HC) left to take the Hawaii job after Norm Chow retired.

I was promoted to HC, which is awesome. However, do you think this means I won't eventually get a big HC job?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronVictory
After my first season as the DC of Texas State, Dennis Franchione (the HC) left to take the Hawaii job after Norm Chow retired.

I was promoted to HC, which is awesome. However, do you think this means I won't eventually get a big HC job?
As of right now, that seems to be the indication. That was the case on '12. For whatever reason, the logic of the CC favors coordinators to get HC jobs. I was at Rice for 8 years, won 2 national championships and couldn't get a job offer except to be a coordinator somewhere else. Perhaps if I had kept going I could have, but 8 years seemed to be more than enough in the day and age of Urban Meyer type coaches who might spend a few years at a place, do well and move on.

Just watch what happens elsewhere in the carousel besides what happens to you. Do you see any HC's getting jobs? Not likely. The only ones that do are ones that were fired from a BCS job that land smaller school jobs (which is not a crazy thing).
Old 07-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
Pro

fcboiler87's Arena

I'm doing some early looking at this stuff... It is clear the coaching ratings are whacked. Some coaches are rated A+ and are at a 64 prestige. Some coaches are rated 90 and a B. I believe it's the difference between a coordinator and a head coach, but still. It's kinda ridiculous. We NEED extensive coach ratings. Not only do we need more ratings, but the ratings need to matter. They should help you land recruits and help your team progress.

Maybe I'm just spoiled because the coaching carousel in CH2k8 was spot on, but this is just a shell of what it could and should be. I understand it being that way in '12 since it was new, but not to touch it this year is absolutely unacceptable.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #24
Pro

moneal2001's Arena

OVR: 8

they need to have 3 separate coach ratings one for each position and make them star ratings just like team prestige or coach prestige in the past. 1 to 5 star. and they need to go up differently. hc rating should be based on how your team prestige moves, team prestige gets better or stays high(5 star or better) for 2 or 3 years your hc rating gets better. but playing as a co-coordinator, it should top out at you conference prestige. this would keep lower conference co-coordinators from higher hc jobs. your oc or dc ratings should go up or down based on your teams stat ranking, offensive for oc and defensive for dc respectively. your oc or dc rating should only be able to move up or down only 1 star a year and only go down if the ranking is below the threshold for your star rating for 2 year, every coach can have a down year. the thresholds would go something like this: 1 star any, 2 star in top 75, 3 star top 50, 4 star top 25, 5 star in top 10.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »