Home

Cpu aggressive zone defense

This is a discussion on Cpu aggressive zone defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: Cpu aggressive zone defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Were you throwing it into the honey hole between the CB and S or were you waiting until the WR got way, way downfield?

Anything 10-15 yards downfield along the sideline is really, really, really, really hard for the defense to cover in C2. And that's not even an EA thing, that's a real life football thing.

I dunno, just seems a lot of people in video game land vastly overrate how effective base Cover 2 is. There's a huge reason why it's pretty much a run down defense only these days. Football changes incredibly fast - what was once the premier coverage scheme of the 90s and early 2000s is really nothing more than a changeup now. It really shouldn't be run more than 5 times a game or so.
You've got to be kidding me.

Cover 2 is still a predominant coverage, especially in heavy passing situations. It (and its variations) are ran by more than just a few of the top-ranking div 1 teams in long-yardage situations more than any other coverage.

There are many problems with the logic of the game, starting with the fact there is no overreaching "philosophy" of how to handle vertical routes. The zones are to black and white, with no post-snap adjustments to the receiver distribution.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
You've got to be kidding me.

Cover 2 is still a predominant coverage, especially in heavy passing situations. It (and its variations) are ran by more than just a few of the top-ranking div 1 teams in long-yardage situations more than any other coverage.

There are many problems with the logic of the game, starting with the fact there is no overreaching "philosophy" of how to handle vertical routes. The zones are to black and white, with no post-snap adjustments to the receiver distribution.
Eh, the Sink and Tampa (and there is a combined Sink/Tampa combined coverage IRL as well) variants are played way, way, way more than Base Cover 2 in pass situations. And generally, Quarters with pattern reading (which can look a LOT like Cover 2 depending on the route combo) is also played way more than Base 2. Just look at how Monte Kiffin (while at UT) defended Tebow and the Gators - it was almost exclusively Quarters. When they did go Cover 2, it was variants - usually invert (with a safety coming down and a corner bailing to deep half). Saban used QUarters almost exclusively vs them as well, and then went into man coverage on passing downs.

The trend has been to go to Quarters and/or heavy, heavy man coverage in pass situations vs the spread. Hell, even the traditional Tampa 2 teams like the Chicago Bears are going man coverage (Free or Under) for 75% of their plays.

Base Cover 2 is more of a run defense down now because you're not bailing the MLB out, you have both CBs to play the Force vs outside run, and everyone is watching the offense in one form or another (as opposed to running with their man). Base 2 hasn't handled the spread well at all, as there are so many pass concepts to attack it and a 3x1 set by the O leaves you really, really vulnerable. Against WCO/Pro-Style teams? Sure, it's still heavily used.

Last edited by yourfavestoner; 07-13-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Eh, the Sink and Tampa (and there is a combined Sink/Tampa combined coverage IRL as well) variants are played way, way, way more than Base Cover 2 in pass situations. And generally, Quarters with pattern reading (which can look a LOT like Cover 2 depending on the route combo) is also played way more than Base 2. Just look at how Monte Kiffin (while at UT) defended Tebow and the Gators - it was almost exclusively Quarters. When they did go Cover 2, it was variants - usually invert (with a safety coming down and a corner bailing to deep half). Saban used QUarters almost exclusively vs them as well, and then went into man coverage on passing downs.

The trend has been to go to Quarters and/or heavy, heavy man coverage in pass situations vs the spread. Hell, even the traditional Tampa 2 teams like the Chicago Bears are going man coverage (Free or Under) for 75% of their plays.

Base Cover 2 is more of a run defense down now because you're not bailing the MLB out, you have both CBs to play the Force vs outside run, and everyone is watching the offense in one form or another (as opposed to running with their man). Base 2 hasn't handled the spread well at all, as there are so many pass concepts to attack it and a 3x1 set by the O leaves you really, really vulnerable. Against WCO/Pro-Style teams? Sure, it's still heavily used.
Maybe we're just getting hung-up on semantics here. I'll adjust my statement to Split Safety Coverage is the Predominant Coverage. There are a handful of ways to match vertical's, but the point is that they are matched (in theory) regardless of the coverage called (split-safety or mof safety).

Defense doesn't have "plays" (excluding some blitzes); a defense is a philosophy for how an offensive play will be defended. Of course, there will be blown assignments from time to time, but those times should be in the vast minority.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieboy11
I haven't been able to test this out for sure because I'm at work. If this is the case and we can't find a workaround, this needs to go in the bugs and glitches thread. It needs to be shouted from the rooftops, actually. This is a gamekiller for me.
This was talked about last year.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
I don't think this will fix the problem but worth the try. I'm saying this because this was always the case. And the deep ball was not an issue in all NCAA I believe
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Exactly. It started happening when EA tried to get cute and started putting in all these "strip aggressive" and "aggressive zone defense". That feature did nothing but ruin the game. The strip aggressive is just as much a game killer as the 4 verts, and BOTH of those are because of this dumb feature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #22
Rookie

illini4life's Arena

Great find my man! This must surely be the reason why zone defense is broken and should be an easy fix with a patch. Please patch this soon EA!

COLLEGE
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE UofI
Fighting Illini!

MLB
Dodgers!

PSN: coocath110

OSCFL- Purdue Boilermakers
Three yards and a cloud of dust- Kansas St. Wildcats
Old 07-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #23
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini4life
Great find my man! This must surely be the reason why zone defense is broken and should be an easy fix with a patch. Please patch this soon EA!
From a post in tweeter they are aware of the problem and they are researching it.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
Rookie

illini4life's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
From a post in tweeter they are aware of the problem and they are researching it.
Good to know.

COLLEGE
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE UofI
Fighting Illini!

MLB
Dodgers!

PSN: coocath110

OSCFL- Purdue Boilermakers
Three yards and a cloud of dust- Kansas St. Wildcats

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »