Home

Does redshirting actually pay off?

This is a discussion on Does redshirting actually pay off? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Does redshirting actually pay off?

Does Anyone know if redshirting a player pays off or just throwing him to the wolves and making him a 4 year starter would give a bigger payout of progression. What I mean is if I start a qb as a true freshman and he progresses +7 and becomes a 77. But if I redshirt him he gets +3 and than +3 his RS freshman year. I just want to know since doing a test would be hard trying to duplicate same season stats. Thx
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Rookie

Wnahikian's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Does redshirting actually pay off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenKing94
Does Anyone know if redshirting a player pays off or just throwing him to the wolves and making him a 4 year starter would give a bigger payout of progression. What I mean is if I start a qb as a true freshman and he progresses +7 and becomes a 77. But if I redshirt him he gets +3 and than +3 his RS freshman year. I just want to know since doing a test would be hard trying to duplicate same season stats. Thx
Im not too sure about this year, but last year and all previous years the redshirting always paid off with a better player. Progression in-season never really seemed to make a big difference.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

Based on my experience from last year (and tons of redshirting) - it absolutely pays off as long as the player is going to stick around for all 5 years (and you have the depth to allow it). This is a key part of my strategy for rebuilding crap teams. Look at it this way - if you only get +3 redshirting - it doesn't mean you can't get the +5s you'd get starting the next 4 years....its a free +3.

But...if he is a top recruit that goes pro after 3-4 seasons - you are better playing right away and getting as many good years as you can from them.

Now with this year, the one variable i'm seeing is it looks like a lot more players transferred due to playing time. I'm not sure if that will hurt you if the RS ticks them off and they decide to transfer on ya.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Rookie

Ramo's Arena

OVR: 0

speaking of redshirting. Does anyone know if your allowed to redshirt someone during the year if they get a injury. I remember that you couldn't do that for NCAA 12
Old 07-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

Thats the beauty of college football..you just never know anymore! haha but more than likely, if there are at least 2 players ahead of him on the depth chart, and he is substantially lower in OVR, im going to redshirt him.

This way, i give his CPU self a chance to upgrade and still play for at least 3 years.

My Pennsylvania A&T Baseball Dynasty (MVP NCAA 06)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 9

if you have a 5 star starting freshman and a second string freshman. redshirt the second string. then when the great freshman is gone you still have the other qb. i tend to use this for any position and class, even seniors.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramo
speaking of redshirting. Does anyone know if your allowed to redshirt someone during the year if they get a injury. I remember that you couldn't do that for NCAA 12
no you cant this year i think....well i havent seen it yet. thats a medical redshirt and it was in madden but idk why ncaa hasnt used it yet
Old 07-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
Rookie

GKEnialb's Arena

OVR: 5

They added medical redshirting near the end of the last gen NCAA offerings, but hasn't been implemented in this gen for some reason.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »