Home

Injuries in this game are just as bad as they were in NCAA 12

This is a discussion on Injuries in this game are just as bad as they were in NCAA 12 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #33
Data Logger

StoneCalf's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Injuries in this game are just as bad as they were in NCAA 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
I'm glad they turned injuries up. I'm tired of depth meaning absolutely nothing in this game. I especially love the injuries that keep guys out for 2 or 3 plays. We don't realize it in real life, but these minor nicks and bruises happen very frequently.
Same here. I don't wish for injuries, but when they occur, I actually find it enjoyable to see who's gonna step up. Depth matters, just like in real life.

And for a real example, Alabama had an exceptionally horrible rash of injuries on offense during the 2004 season:

- Starting QB Brodie Croyle - out for season with torn ACL
- Starting RB Ray Hudson - out for season with knee
- Starting FB Tim Castille - out for season with knee.

And this excerpt I found in an article online says a lot:

"By the time of the Iron Bowl, the Crimson Tide had a third-string quarterback, with a fourth-string tailback, two true freshman wide receivers, and a true freshman tight end."

It certainly does happen.

I have only played 4 or 5 games so far, but I haven't had any unrealistic injuries yet. Before the season, I did edit starting RB #42 Eddie Lacy's inj rating down to 55, because he has a nagging turf toe condition. And he has missed part of every game so far. That rating is absolutely having a direct effect (as I intended) in his playing time. I wanted to simulate that he's not durable in his condition. He's missed approx 40% of snaps in my dynasty with injury rating at 55.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #34
Rookie

smlmeyer's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCalf
Same here. I don't wish for injuries, but when they occur, I actually find it enjoyable to see who's gonna step up. Depth matters, just like in real life.

And for a real example, Alabama had an exceptionally horrible rash of injuries on offense during the 2004 season:

- Starting QB Brodie Croyle - out for season with torn ACL
- Starting RB Ray Hudson - out for season with knee
- Starting FB Tim Castille - out for season with knee.

And this excerpt I found in an article online says a lot:

"By the time of the Iron Bowl, the Crimson Tide had a third-string quarterback, with a fourth-string tailback, two true freshman wide receivers, and a true freshman tight end."

It certainly does happen.

I have only played 4 or 5 games so far, but I haven't had any unrealistic injuries yet. Before the season, I did edit starting RB #42 Eddie Lacy's inj rating down to 55, because he has a nagging turf toe condition. And he has missed part of every game so far. That rating is absolutely having a direct effect (as I intended) in his playing time. I wanted to simulate that he's not durable in his condition. He's missed approx 40% of snaps in my dynasty with injury rating at 55.
I'm curious to hear relations to quarter length and injury rating. I played 9 minute quarters the first year of my UTSA dynasty and Eric Soza (Starting QB, injury rating of 86) could barely go a half without an injury. My second year, I take over as Head Coach at Kansas and Jake Heaps (Injury rating of 84.) went down in Week 1 for about 2 quarters, 2nd week had a bye, 3rd week he lasted maybe a half before he was down with a upper arm fracture, out for the season. These are the two big hits amongst a vast array of other small injuries and fairly large that seem to never stop. It even becomes apparent in terms of dynasty mode when you look at you and your conference (when you play all of your games) that your team and the teams you face have more injuries than the others. I think it's a tuning issue. I think they tried to tune it so that there were the same number of injuries for a 15 minute quarter length game in a default setting 5 minute quarter length game. Thus, when you play a 10 minute quarter length game, you wind up with 100% more injuries in one game than you usually would. I'm not gonna whine and cry cuz I lost a game because of injuries, but sometimes I feel like turning injuries off just to let it be fair on both sides. The same luck I feel when I injure the other team's best player is reciprocated by intense dread when my go-to guy then also goes down. And as pointed out earlier, I think it also becomes apparent by looking at your injuries vs. other AI injuries for teams you didn't play that mostly skill position players get hurt in-game rather than a mixed bag like they do when you sim. The argument that you recruit for depth and that little injuries over the course of the game are realistic are completely true - you should ideally be doing that with an accurate injury system. But I don't think this system really is all that accurate. Personally, I think the fatigue and auto-sub system makes up for the lack of injuries if you want to go the route of injuries being turned off but still some realism in-game when it comes to back-ups getting reps, stats, and a team needing depth to be more consistent.

My ideal solution would be my solution to everything in a sports game - a slider or a choice with more of a grey area. That way we as gamers can choose what is right to our playing style and our ideal experience. I say this because I just know it's a problem for how I play. It has seemed over the course of the many hours I've played the game already (27 as of this morning, should be closer to 35 when my Raptr account updates.) that especially my QBs are getting hurt like 10% of the time they get hit. That's an enormous amount when it seems like injury severity is almost random or at a really terrible figure of minor to medium to major. If there are gonna be that many injuries, tune the major ones WAY down. Not one in every ten hits to my QB is gonna break his arm. And yes, I can tell you that when I was testing sliders in 10 games I would say I had probably 5 major injuries to just my starting QB. Something that put him out for greater than 4 weeks. That's just horrendous. And now over the course of a season and the start of a second I'm plagued with the same issue. I dunno man. I'm just playing and telling you my issues with it. I can't justify this many injuries by saying that injuries happen and referring to history where teams have been marred by the injury bug for a whole season. Yeah well...that team shouldn't always be the user team. Maybe the CPU teams that I don't face should be marred with injuries for a season at random as well. It shouldn't be so consistently against the user and the teams you as a user face.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #35

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Something I've started doing and really have always done in trying to mimmick real life is to not take unneccessary hits; there is nothing wrong with going out of bounds after a long gain to avoid needless contact, especially at the WR position. You see players in real life do it all the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 1

has anyone ever had their Lineman or any defensive players get hurt during the game? i haven't had an injury to anyone other than a rb/qb/wr/te. while playing in a game.

crazy!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #37
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Conversely, I think there are far too few injuries on this game, particularly for players who collide but aren't involved in tackles.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #38
Rookie

AGG_JD's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
What is the complaint here? That injuries happen.

These threads kill me. Everyone wants realism until its inconvenient I guess.
That is definitely the truth! Lol! I've seen to many complain about mistakes in the secondary like that doesn't happen.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 4

The frequency of injuries isn't the problem, the problem is that the vast majority of times, the only players that get injured are the ball carrier on a given play (or a QB who has just released a pass). Rarely, you'll see the defensive player on a tackle get injured, and even rarer still is a player not involved in a tackle getting injured.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 0

I had a game against a friend in play now, he played as michigan and his RB got hurt six different times, all but the last said will return soon. I think it could be the most recent patch because this didnt happen at all when I first got the game out the box

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »