Home

A Very Detailed Idea For Coaching Carousel

This is a discussion on A Very Detailed Idea For Coaching Carousel within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

OVR: 40
A Very Detailed Idea For Coaching Carousel

This will be long.

Here is my idea for a Coaching Carousel in 2014 that doesn't feel.... lacking.

I will follow through as if I were using it as myself, Tyler Shaw. (I flipped out the other day when I saw a recruit with my name from Hawai'i as the #3 guy from the state. He was 6'6 and African-American with dreads, whereas I am 5'5 1/2 and Caucasian, but still. Back on topic)

Step 1: Create-A-Coach
This will more-or less be the same, with 1 major change. You now must select your High School playing position and style and optional other side. (Ex. Tyler Shaw Primary Position: CB (Coverage), Secondary Position: WR (Speed)). I will explain the (Very Important) use of this later.
There should also be more than 6 faces to pick from, IMO. Let us create our own face and hair.

Then, select a school. Since there would be both a career type and a freeform type mode (Like CHoops did), I will be playing Career style. Thus, I can only be a DC (Since CB was my primary HS position) at a 1* School.

I am DC of New Mexico

Step 2: Rate Your Coach
There should be 2 modes, a career and freeform mode (A la Choops) for this. In the Career, your ratings are mostly predetermined, based off of a short quiz. Study hard! In a freeform mode, rate yourself however. I will assume Tyler Shaw is playing career mode.
The 6 ratings are:
Offense
Defense
Charisma
Teaching
Scouting
Gameplan

The 'quiz' would be something like this (The answer with a star is what Tyler picked):

Which do you value more?
-*Practicing on the field. (+2 Teaching)*
-Going over game film. (+2 Gameplan)

Which is a bigger aspect of recruiting?
-Learning a recruit's strengths and weaknesses. (+2 Scouting)
-*Learning a recruit's thoughts on college life. (+2 Charisma)*

Since I was both a CB and WR, I get +1 in both Offense and Defense. If I was only a CB, I'd get +2 in defense. As a DC, I get a bonus +1 in defense.

So now, my ratings look like this:
Overall: 66 (D)
Offense: D
Defense: D+
Charisma: D+
Scouting: D-
Teaching: D+
Gameplanning: D-

Now, you may be wondering why I made such a big deal about HS positions. Here is where they come into play: Coaching Bonus Stat Points (BSP). As a coach, you get a bonus to a position(s) based off of your HS positions. As a D overall, my BSP will be low. Remember, I was a Coverage CB. Thus, all CBs on my team get +1 Zone Coverage. As my overall increases, my BSP increases. Say I become an A+ overall Head Coach (HCs will always have a bigger bonus than either the OC or DC). My BSP would now be something like: CB: +2 Zone, +2 Press, +2 Man, +1 AWR. WR: +2 Spd, +1 Jump. If I was a hard hitting CB, my BSP would switch to adding tackling and what not instead of coverage skills. As an idea for how many BSP you would add, here is a chart.

OC or DC
A- to A+ overall: 4 Bonus Stat points
B- to B+ overall: 3 BSP
C- to C+ overall: 2 BSP
D to D+ overall: 1 BSP
D: 0 BSP

HC
A+: 10 BSP
A: 9 BSP
A-: 8 BSP
B+: 7 BSP
B: 6 BSP
B-: 5 BSP
C+: 4 BSP
C: 3 BSP
C-: 3 BSP
D+: 2 BSP
D: 1 BSP
D- 1 BSP

The spefic bonus given would be tied to your HS positions and predetermined. EA would have to type out each position's bonus at each level. (Ex. Coach was a HS Scrambling QB: D- Overall: +1 Speed, D overall: +1 Spd, +1 ACC.... A+ overall: +3 Speed, +2 ACC, +2 Agilty, +2 Awareness, +1 TP). I hope I haven't lost anyone yet!

Step 3: Detailing Each Stat

Offense- Coach helps offensive players make good plays, offensive players perform better, coaches choice improve based on rating
Defense- Swap the word offense for defense in the above.
Charisma- Gives a bonus to recruiting. +1.5% per grade, prehaps (I.E. D- gives +1.5% to every call, A+ gives +18%.), promises and scholarships are worth more. Visits get higher grades.
Scouting- Improves accuracy of scouting, and scouting speed. A D- scout might take 4 hours on a QB, find he is a 60 overall. That QB could come in and actually be a 65, or turn out to be a 54 (Most likely he will come in at the discovered rating, however a bad scouter makes more mistakes than a good one). An A+ scouter takes 2 hours on the QB, and finds out he is a 61. He will come in at a 61.
Teaching- Offseason improvements are now based on four things: Gameplay (How well they did. Based off of a sample size. I.E. A QB who is 102/247 with 6 TDs and 14 INTs scores low here, while a 27/43 QB with 5 TDs and 1 INT scores OK), Teaching Rating, a players potential rating (discovered by scouting) and a small random factor to give small schools a shot at finding a star. Each of these are on a D- to A+ scale. (Ex. Gameplay: B; Teaching: D+; Potential: C+; Random Factor; B+. Player increases by 4-5 points. EA would need some mathmatical formula I don't feel like making)
Gameplanning- The other ratings all came from CHoops. They did a CC right. However, I always felt discipline was kinda useless. It has been replaced by gameplanning. This details your opponent before each week. The higher the rating, the more accurate the report and the more detail. 2 scouting reports made in MS paint (1st one as a D-, second one as an A+ before a game vs Duke. The A+ one would span 3-4 pages, including a lot of info)

Step 4: Progression
I disliked how CHoops let you pick where you progressed. The game does this for you now. If you do good on defense, defense increases. Same with offense. If you find Gems, Scouting goes up. Top recruiting classes increase charisma. Teaching goes up with experience. Gameplanning ill increase if you follow the tips given.

Step 5: Goals

The goals would be redone. No more 1 or 2 year contracts. All contracts are 3-5 years, although you can request fewer or more years (schools may balk at this and choose not to offer you). No more of the 'Do X every year' (-3 if you fail, +4 if you pass) crap. It is replaced by 'Do X. Replaced annually.' (-2 each time you fail, +2 each time you pass) So, you can fail that goal two years, but pass it the other three and still wind up a head. New goals, like "Sign a B+ or higher OC" will be added. (As HC you can fire/hire OC/DC now, obviously). Also goals like "Beat a Top 25 team on the road" or "Schedule 7 home games" (Teams like home games, extra revenue) are also added.

Sorry if this was long. If you're confused, please ask me any questions. You're probably thinking stuff like: "This is cool, but kinda complex?" I know, it's confusing. My bad. "This seems like a stretch in NCAA 14?" Yes, it's a pipe dream. "MS paint? Really?" It's simple to use. EA (hopefully) would make the gameplan reports look nicer. "TDenverFan is really attractive!" Yes. I know.

What do you guys think? Sorry for grammar/spelling errors, it's midnight.
NCAA: The College of William and Mary Tribe

William and Mary Class of 2018!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

re: A Very Detailed Idea For Coaching Carousel

The scouting reports that are cut off say stuff like: "Blitz with CB #X, the man he is covering is struggling lately" or "Switch X for Y because Z''. They obviously could be way more detailed, but I didn't ant to spend hours making made up scouting reports. The grid shows where Duke passes/runs (deep Left, Short Right, Middle, etc.). Also, if you have a bye week before a game, the report is more detailed.

I forgot to add that going from OC or DC to HC, all grades take a one letter drop.

Also, any ideas people have I will add to it and give credit.

Last edited by TDenverFan; 07-17-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
Pro

Speedy_Bronco's Arena

OVR: 7

Looks like a real swanky idea. I'd love to see something like this on NCAA 14.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
Rookie

hossafan91's Arena

OVR: 11

Great start. I love (still play) CH2K8. the career mode is so much more entertaining, and fulfilling, because you start off small, can build up that school, or jump ship and try to gain prestige in the coaching world by going to a different school. then when you are a top name coach, you can coach at top schools, or go to a small school, or a favorite school and build them into a contender. The CC in CH2k8 is much more realistic. top schools will hire the best coaches from lower schools, lower schools will hire med-high end coordinators, or get new guys. NCAA football needs to start doing this, because I'm tired of getting job offers from good teams after a 2-10 year as an OC at UMass or another small school ("8-5 [insert sub-great BCS school here] is proud to announce their new head football coach. He just finished a 2-10 year at a small school that wasn't very good. We are proud to have him, and are sure that he will improve our team in the next year, or else we will fire him for not getting 5 4* recruits, even though the 9 3*s are higher overall, and 3 will play next year!") They need to fix the CC so that progression is more realistic. (even Chip Kelly needed to be an OC before becoming the HC at Oregon from UNH)

"Who I am is not important, my message is." -Revan

http://www.operationsports.com/hossa...-jackson-story
Old 07-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Rookie

hossafan91's Arena

OVR: 11

I posted this somewhere else, but here is my idea on how CC should work in NCAA. It is a bit like CH2K8. if you are good, you can progess faster, but as a normal coach, the progression is usually small/med OC/DC -> Big OC/DC-> Small/Med HC -> Big HC
Small=SBC/WAC/MAC (-top 2 teams from each conference, + bottom 2 from Med conferences)
Med=CUSA/MWC (-top 2 teams from each conference, +bottom 2 from Big conferences)
BIG=BCS (-bottom 2 teams from each conference, +top 15 teams)

Small school coordinator -> Mid major coordinator or HC at current school (called up) IF FIRED -> game over (like in CH2k8) unless previously had career at other/ bigger schools, then maybe find a job at small school (or alumni school)

Mid major coordinator -> Big coordinator or HC at Small school or HC at current school (called up) IF FIRED -> Small school coordinator

Big coordinator
-> HC at Small or HC at Med or HC at Big or HC at current school (called up) IF FIRED -> Small school coordinator or Previous coordinator position (if available)

Small HC -> Med HC or Big coordinator or Big HC (rare occasions, like multiple BCS bowl wins/ big name trophy winner) IF FIRED -> small coordinator or med coordinator (for bad team)

Med HC -> Big HC or longer contract (5-9 years) or big coordinator or small HC (long term) IF FIRED -. med coordinator or small coordinator

Big HC
-> big HC or longer contract or NFL HC (cpu teams) IF FIRED -> Big coordinator or Small HC or Med HC (bad team) or med coordinator or big coordinator (if history with team or lots of experience)

"Who I am is not important, my message is." -Revan

http://www.operationsports.com/hossa...-jackson-story
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
MVP

TDenverFan's Arena

Yeah, the logic needs fixed. With coach ratings though, it would be easier. I want the CC to make it tough to gain points, no reason to be as easy as it

Old 07-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #7
Rookie

drk3351's Arena

OVR: 5

Lol I thought you meant connected careers like what madden has
Old 07-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

This is incredible! I would love to see something like this in NCAA in future years to come.

It's possible as well, seeing how Madden got an overhaul this year. NCAA deserves one next year!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »