Home

My passing game is awful.

This is a discussion on My passing game is awful. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #25
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: My passing game is awful.

i know that if the safety rotates over the top presnap it's cover 1 or cover 0 but how do you discern cover 2 or cover 3 presnap? the corners move up in cover 2?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2012, 09:51 AM   #26
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by heelphreak
i know that if the safety rotates over the top presnap it's cover 1 or cover 0 but how do you discern cover 2 or cover 3 presnap? the corners move up in cover 2?
That's the trick, right? In the past, it was a simple "put a guy in motion." If the CB followed, you have man coverage. Otherwise, it's zone. This year, that's not always the case. The defense can disguise it.

I do most of that post-snap. Snap the ball, see what the defense is doing. When I snap the ball, I have a primary receiver picked in my head. So I'm taking his route into consideration and watching the defense react in relation to that. If I see something early that jeopardizes that route, I move on.

Honestly, I'd say 70% of my picks that I've thrown were hurried passes. I felt the pressure, made a quick read, then tossed the ball. And the moment I let it go, I know it's a pick. I need to be more willing to just eat the sack and punt.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #27
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

i throw picks doing that too. or i try to escape up the middle and get stuck on my dumb o-lineman and get sacked. i hate that.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #28
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

but even with disguised coverages when the corners move up to press directly over my WR they're showing either cover 2 or man, right? If they don't can i assume cover 3 or 4?
Old 07-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #29
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Quote:
but even with disguised coverages when the corners move up to press directly over my WR they're showing either cover 2 or man, right? If they don't can i assume cover 3 or 4?
Not always. A DB can still come up to the line to jam the WR in Cover 3, Cover 4, Cover 6, etc. They may not, since in Cover 3 the DB isn't going to have help over the top, but it's not a given.

It might be something to take note of, pre-snap, and watch for it post-snap. But I personally don't feel comfortable relying on that. I'd say you're better off watching what the safeties do, post-snap. But then again, I could be wrong.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #30
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
If there is a safety middle of the field presnap then it's cover 1 or cover 3. Cover 2 tends to hold it's shell presnap. Also check to see how far a corner has backed of the WR. If it's pretty far then it's cover 3.

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #31
MVP

heelphreak's Arena

Thanks for the info guys. Post snap i feel pretty good about telling cover 2/3/4 based on the safetys movements. but how do i best use that information?

if i anticipate blitz i hot route slant or drag. if man i'm looking for a mismatch which seems to be the slot for me most of the time. but post snap what routes should i be looking for that exploit cover 2/3/4? i sometimes get confused and take too long in these situations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #32
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. Post snap i feel pretty good about telling cover 2/3/4 based on the safetys movements. but how do i best use that information?

if i anticipate blitz i hot route slant or drag. if man i'm looking for a mismatch which seems to be the slot for me most of the time. but post snap what routes should i be looking for that exploit cover 2/3/4? i sometimes get confused and take too long in these situations.
Depends on the play you selected. If I have a go route and I see Cover 2, I can sneak the ball in before the safety has a chance to get over and pick up the WR. If you see Cover 4, your underneath routes (drag routes, etc) are likely going to be open. If you can see that early on, then you'll know which routes to watch. If you see Cover 4, the go route might not be something you look at.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »