Home

Trying to user catch

This is a discussion on Trying to user catch within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Trying to user catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkrabz
This has been a problem on "Next Gen"...it's always been "broken" IMO. I've been complaining about it for nearly 10 years, there's no way in h&ll EA is going to wake up now and "fix" it. It ain't gonna happen. I've given up begging them to fix it.

Not sure what you are talking about. It worked every time for me on NCAA 2012. This year it works maybe 30% of the time on defense. 90% of the time on offense.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major9
Not sure what you are talking about. It worked every time for me on NCAA 2012. This year it works maybe 30% of the time on defense. 90% of the time on offense.
It didn't work in 12 either. The actions of a given player are mapped and linked to the actions on the field, not to the buttons you push. Just as a test, try floating around on defense (in 12 or 13) and in the middle of the play push the swat or dive button, if your player isn't directly involved in a play the player does not swat or dive. And that's what I'm talking about, you are not in control of those functions. The player will swat or make a catch attempt if he is involved in the play but you don't have to push the buttons to get him to do it, the cpu does it on it's own. This year is no different. I think you just think you're making the play because you are indeed pushing a button and seeing a result but the reality the AI is performing that function on it's own. Just a previous posted suggested, setup a practice, you play defense and have the offense run 4 verts, you drop back in a cover 3 (cover the RB so the cpu doesn't throw it short) and try defending passes as the cpu bombs passes down the field...I did this for 45 minutes last night. The same play over and over just testing the functionality of the catch and swat buttons and determined it made no difference whether or not I pushed the buttons or controlled the most opportune defender or not, the actions were always the same and controlled by the AI.

It's been this way on next gen and it hasn't changed in any recognizable way. That's my experience anyway. It's immediately noticeable when you play a last gen version of EA football. When I play last gen football I feel like the handcuffs have been removed and the game is fun again.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #35
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
This has been a problem on "Next Gen"...it's always been "broken" IMO. I've been complaining about it for nearly 10 years, there's no way in h&ll EA is going to wake up now and "fix" it. It ain't gonna happen. I've given up begging them to fix it.
Like last gen where you just had to be within ten yards and hit the swat button to knock the ball down?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #36
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagopax
Like last gen where you just had to be within ten yards and hit the swat button to knock the ball down?
At least it was fun and you had control of the action. I don't totally hate next football and I'm having fun with 13 but the reality is I can call a play on defense and set the controller down and the results won't be any different, which for me is a real bummer. It would be nice to know that user skills on the sticks made a difference in the outcome of a play but the reality it doesn't unless you go out of an assignment and shoot a gap and stuff a running back in the backfield. That's about the only positive thing you can do on defense (or rush the passer with a D lineman), that is if you can some how get by the suction blocking.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
It didn't work in 12 either. The actions of a given player are mapped and linked to the actions on the field, not to the buttons you push. Just as a test, try floating around on defense (in 12 or 13) and in the middle of the play push the swat or dive button, if your player isn't directly involved in a play the player does not swat or dive. And that's what I'm talking about, you are not in control of those functions. The player will swat or make a catch attempt if he is involved in the play but you don't have to push the buttons to get him to do it, the cpu does it on it's own. This year is no different. I think you just think you're making the play because you are indeed pushing a button and seeing a result but the reality the AI is performing that function on it's own. Just a previous posted suggested, setup a practice, you play defense and have the offense run 4 verts, you drop back in a cover 3 (cover the RB so the cpu doesn't throw it short) and try defending passes as the cpu bombs passes down the field...I did this for 45 minutes last night. The same play over and over just testing the functionality of the catch and swat buttons and determined it made no difference whether or not I pushed the buttons or controlled the most opportune defender or not, the actions were always the same and controlled by the AI.

It's been this way on next gen and it hasn't changed in any recognizable way. That's my experience anyway. It's immediately noticeable when you play a last gen version of EA football. When I play last gen football I feel like the handcuffs have been removed and the game is fun again.

You sure we played the same game? I always control my player once the ball is in the air and I made the catch or swat every time on 2012...or at least attempted it. Now I didn't attempt it if I was just free lancing around the field(why would i?) but if i was ANYWHERE NEAR the ball in 2012 I could make an attempt to swat or catch....on 2013 though, It rarely works.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:46 PM   #38
The Hard Way

K0ZZ's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
At least it was fun and you had control of the action. I don't totally hate next football and I'm having fun with 13 but the reality is I can call a play on defense and set the controller down and the results won't be any different, which for me is a real bummer. It would be nice to know that user skills on the sticks made a difference in the outcome of a play but the reality it doesn't unless you go out of an assignment and shoot a gap and stuff a running back in the backfield. That's about the only positive thing you can do on defense (or rush the passer with a D lineman), that is if you can some how get by the suction blocking.
I would say it makes a massive improvement over where I move my player. I've changed the outcomes of plays before, either through pressure or zone coverage I've forced the CPU to do different things. Swats still work for me all the time, they just made it so the situation had to be right. I've had catch be unresponsive but I've had zero issues with swat.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #39
Rookie

ozzy57's Arena

Just a question not saying any of you haven't but are you taking into account the read and react? If you are chasing a man after being burnt your not likely to make a play intercepting the ball or swatting the ball but if you were in position then you would. I'm pretty sure the read and react isn't just for the cpu.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #40
Pro

scottyo60's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy57
Just a question not saying any of you haven't but are you taking into account the read and react? If you are chasing a man after being burnt your not likely to make a play intercepting the ball or swatting the ball but if you were in position then you would. I'm pretty sure the read and react isn't just for the cpu.
I've been trailing WR perfectly with Dee Milliner and hit the swat button multiple times for nothing to happen. I am fine throwing to a WR and his button not be highlighted and it hit him. It's a whole other thing when I'm in perfect position and get no response...as stated before it seems to work fine on varsity level.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »