Home

Trying to user catch

This is a discussion on Trying to user catch within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Trying to user catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoze
Exactly! Just because you can't catch everything that comes your way anymore the game must be broken??
This is the reason EA doesn't change the game. People are going to complain because they can't go undefeated every year, if they don't make every catch, every sack, etc...

I dont want to make every catch but my player should at least attempt to make a catch if he is in position. And even though I play with good teams i have never went undefeated because i make it too hard to do that. I like to keep it realistic as can be but when my DB just stands there and watches the ball go right by him when he could have swatted it or interecepted it is messed up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #66
Rookie

According to a tutorial I watched on YouTube, you have to click on wr immediately after throwing the ball, hold turbo and y (360) while in pursuit of the ball (no matter how many yards you have to run) and the CPU will trigger the catch animation. Granted you make it to the circle in time.....haven't tried it yet though, we shall see.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #67
Rookie

100% Texan's Arena

it's unresponsive.

in rtg as a cb, so many times i am in position and my player does nothing when i imput the command.

i'm not asking for a pick every time but at least do some kind of animation to show that the button is responsive.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #68
Rookie

alexgators1's Arena

OVR: 2

It has started to work better when I hold the button.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:14 PM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 1

I believe the people that are saying that is is tied to the new read and react system are right. Problem is it doesn't even work all the time when you're player is looking at the ball. Also I'm pretty sure I didn't catch an INT on every drive last year, but I did expect my defenders to obey my commands. It isn't even debatable IMO I'm not saying that if I press triangle I should get a pick just a pick animation; you know an attempt. I understand about being in position but its a game, it is one of the things that gives us an advantage over the cpu and give players with good user skills an advantage over other users.

Another thing is there is no longer a penalty for trying to go above and beyond and make a play anymore. For example if the ball is thrown deep down the field with one on one man coverage and no safety help, then as a defender while that ball is in the air you have to determine what you ate going to do. Are you going to be in good enough position to make a pick? Or is a swat attempt your only hope? Maybe you are so far back that you don't even have a shot at stopping the pass so you're just going to keep running and make the tackle while he slows down to make the catch. That kind of tackle should you try? Angle to take, etc. In every previous game that I can remember NCAA and Madden you had to make these decisions and yes if you choose wrong you could cost yourself a play; sometimes even doing worse that the cu would have done. Which btw is why they say they have made it more "user friendly" instead of just leaving it alone and letting the guys that couldn't user without screwing up their defender just let the cu do it. They've tried to give them a false sense of accomplishment this year and in the process taken more freedom away from the rest of us. If you go to practice mode like someone suggested you'll be amazed at what little you actually control.

Just try and press the swat or pick button early, nothing happens. Try to move your defender to a different angle while the ball is in the air, he ignores you and keeps going on the path he feels is correct. Oh yeah if you time it "perfectly" I'm sure you will get a "user pick" sign to flash across the screen but trust me you didn't do anything that the cpu wasn't already going to do. Don't believe me? Take control of a defender and don't press anything he will still make a play I promise you.

Compare that to 12 where if you take control of a defender you get more freedom to attack a play how you want to but more risk if you don't. Without the element of risk that you could screw something up by not just letting the cpu handle it there is no true user pick at all in this game. This needs to be patched, my solution is an option to turn this off for the people that don't want it and leave it on for the people that do. It is basically an auto-assist that is always on, hell they could call it "hardcore mode" or "classic control".

Also I want to say that I do like the system for the cpu and the user when their is no attempt at control. The only problem I have with the read and react being tied to whether or not a player does something is A. when it doesn't work (like I was looking but he still didn't do anything) or B. when a user presses a button and is ignored. The way it is currently after the ball is in the air and before it is caught you are merely a spectator with the illusion of control.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #70
Rookie

You summed that up perfectly.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXShowstopperXx
Just try and press the swat or pick button early, nothing happens. Try to move your defender to a different angle while the ball is in the air, he ignores you and keeps going on the path he feels is correct. Oh yeah if you time it "perfectly" I'm sure you will get a "user pick" sign to flash across the screen but trust me you didn't do anything that the cpu wasn't already going to do. Don't believe me? Take control of a defender and don't press anything he will still make a play I promise you.
Have you tried deciding whether you want to swat or pick early and holding that button while moving your player into position? That has been working for me.

Sure you don't get that instant action upon pressing that you are used to, but it still gives you the swat/int decision. And no, it isn't the case where I time it and get lucky with what the cpu was going to do anyway because I change the path of my defender when I do it.

Give holding it a shot and see if you have better success.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #72
MVP

Reed1417's Arena

it really bothers me a lot that i cant use the buttons for swat and catch/intercept this year so far. as someone who likes to make attempts on plays i feel like the AI wont try on it bothers me. hopefully they can get this patched.

Reed's WWE 2k23 Universe: Youtube Edition
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...e-edition.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »