Home

my NCAA 13 disc stuck in my dead PS3

This is a discussion on my NCAA 13 disc stuck in my dead PS3 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
my NCAA 13 disc stuck in my dead PS3

Last night in the middle of my dynasty my PS3 shut off and fell victim to the 3 beeps of death. I just got the game on Tuesday so I was pissed. I've spent a good amount of time on a dynasty with Hawaii to the point where I'm in year 2018 and able to recruit 4 and 5 star players so losing that dynasty was a secondary issue but that's a lot of wasted time.

I started reading on the net how I could get the disc out and being that this is an original 60GB version it doesn't have a fan only mode like the slims do. I came across some videos on youtube about using a hair dryer to heat up the PS3 and supposedly it rejoins the solder connections that become brittle and disconnected with age.

I know, it sounds crazy and I was ready to say screw it and start smashing the PS3 w/ a hammer since there did not seem like there was a way to get the disc out. I set the PS3 upside down like the video said to, turned the hair dryer on for about 20 minutes on high waving it back and forth blowing air in the back vents. Then cooled it for 20 minutes like the video said.

An unbelievably the PS3 started right up. It had to do some kind of file system repair because it shut down incorrectly but other than that it seems fine now. I quickly copied all of my game saves and now I'm wondering do I go buy a new PS3 or roll the dice and see how long the PS3 works like this.

I'm stoked that I got the disc out and am wondering if I'd be stupid to stick it back in now. If anyone else bricks a PS3 don't ignore what may seem like a silly remedy for fixing a dead PS3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: my NCAA 13 disc stuck in my dead PS3

That's not the best of ideas as you could melt your main board if you don't do it correctly. Your best option is to look into an outfit like Endless Electronics for a reflow. If you have a disc stuck in the drive, they can get it out and send it back to you. If they are unable to repair your system, they'll buy it off of you, offering to return your HDD to you (which you really can't use in another PS3 anyway), and you can put that toward the purchase of a new, upgraded system from them.

All that really falls on you is to be sure that you regularly back up your game saves.

I used them for my old 80GB system. They couldn't repair it, so I got a new 160GB slim with an upgraded thermal pad from them, and I was up and running nearly where I left off with the 80 (I had played a couple of games after the last backup such that the backups were outdated, but only by a couple of days). That PlayStation Plus membership really came in handy, then, too (to be able to backup the copy protected saves to the cloud).
Old 07-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Banned

maxwell8's Arena

OVR: 0
Cool story. I woul just buy a new one and not take the chance. I have a 40gb one and I'll replace it when it craps out or they release a new one
Old 07-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Rookie

Ive gone through this exact process with my old ps3 and its only a temporary fix. Each time you do this, the lifespan of the ps3 will get shorter and shorter until eventually one day it wont turn on at all after trying to repair it.

Just buy a new one when you can
Old 07-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

Since it's working now I'm thinking of trying to trade it in to get a few bucks for it towards a new system. Even if Gamestop would only give me a $100 I'd be happy knowing that it's on its last legs and could crap out again at any time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Rookie

Thats the smartest thing to do. Mine only lasted 2 weeks after i first fixed it, then only a week after i fixed it again. then only a couple days after my 3rd time, then finally it wouldn't fix on the 4th time

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »