Home

Scouting: How do you use it?

This is a discussion on Scouting: How do you use it? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Scouting: How do you use it?

I love the new scouting feature. I think it's a huge addition to what can be a fairly repetitive and bureaucratic "mini-game" (recruiting) to have actual player ratings, and a mechanism for discovering them.

I'm curious, though, how people generally use scouting through the course of a year.

Here's some strategies I have used early on...feel free to add your own or critique mine:
  • Focusing heavily on ATH to determine what position they will likely be
  • Focusing more on 3* (or lower) recruits to search for "Gems" or figure out if they are scholarship-worthy
  • Spreading around scouting minutes only to uncover a particular attribute (such as SPD or CTH for WR's)
  • Making sure I have 100% of attributes recruited for a player in a must-recruit position-of-need (anticipating a first-year starter)

For people who have gone beyond Year 1, are the scouted values an exact reflection of what that guy will be as a freshman? For example, if I find a 3* center who turns out to be a "Gem" rated 78 OVR, is he definitely going to be a 78, or can the scout be wrong?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Scouting: How do you use it?

Athletes just take so much recruiting time to reach %100. I usually avoid them unless there is an awesome guy I can't refuse to go after.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
For people who have gone beyond Year 1, are the scouted values an exact reflection of what that guy will be as a freshman? For example, if I find a 3* center who turns out to be a "Gem" rated 78 OVR, is he definitely going to be a 78, or can the scout be wrong?
Yes, he is exactly what you scout him as.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Here's what I've been doing:

In the pre-season I find what I think are the 15 best guys I want to go after. Then I use an hour of recruiting on each of them. If someone turns out to be a bust (or who loses more than 4 points after an hour of recruiting), I cut them off my list. Then I'll go back and find 5 more guys to fill the spot of the guys I cut off my list and use an hour on them. This way I believe I can maximize the chances that I get a guy who is either a gem, or pretty close to his initial rating.

I never, ever, go after 35 guys at one time. There are plenty of under the radar guys out there that I only need to populate my list with AT MOST 15 guys that are being actively recruited. That way I can allocate more time to each player and get them to 100% scouting faster if I choose to do so.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
MVP

RumbleCard's Arena

OVR: 8

Does being a Gem or bust affect progression.

If a 4 star player comes in at 74 and ends up scouting down to a 68 bust. I could still see bringing that guy on board if he'll end up progressing like a normal player.

But if that player who is a bust doesn't progress or very slowly progresses I would pass.

Has anyone checked progression in relation to gem/bust?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929

I never, ever, go after 35 guys at one time. There are plenty of under the radar guys out there that I only need to populate my list with AT MOST 15 guys that are being actively recruited. That way I can allocate more time to each player and get them to 100% scouting faster if I choose to do so.
That's something I've NEVER understood, especially in this year's edition of the game. Simply having a recruit on your recruiting board creates interest from that prospect. How much differs on the prospect and prestige level, however putting a 4 star recruit on your recruiting board that only has maybe 3 or 4 teams listed almost always puts you in his top 5.

You simply have to have some self control with your call minutes in order to recruit your first 15 ONLY. However, there's nothing wrong with having a full board since you can accrue interest from prospects without even talking to them.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCard
Does being a Gem or bust affect progression.

If a 4 star player comes in at 74 and ends up scouting down to a 68 bust. I could still see bringing that guy on board if he'll end up progressing like a normal player.

But if that player who is a bust doesn't progress or very slowly progresses I would pass.

Has anyone checked progression in relation to gem/bust?
I don't think gem/bust has anything to do with progression or even the player after he is recruited. It's just a cool way of saying, "This 2 star guy is actually a 69!"
Old 07-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrussellnyou
That's something I've NEVER understood, especially in this year's edition of the game. Simply having a recruit on your recruiting board creates interest from that prospect. How much differs on the prospect and prestige level, however putting a 4 star recruit on your recruiting board that only has maybe 3 or 4 teams listed almost always puts you in his top 5.

You simply have to have some self control with your call minutes in order to recruit your first 15 ONLY. However, there's nothing wrong with having a full board since you can accrue interest from prospects without even talking to them.
Self control doesn't work for me. I see guys there on my list and I feel like I need to recruit them. The way I do things just makes it easier on my brain. Sort of an OCD thing.

Plus, once I sign someone I like the search of finding that next perfect guy to fill my "Top 15" list later on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »