Home

Brainstorming how to eliminate the "CPU Screen Sack"

This is a discussion on Brainstorming how to eliminate the "CPU Screen Sack" within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #25
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Brainstorming how to eliminate the "CPU Screen Sack"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I'm gonna try creating CPBs for teams with scramblers using their base pb and simply removing most of the screens from it. I'll then assign their coach to use that CPB and hope that works. I wouldn't want to remove screens from all pbs since I've been burned numerous times with them when the QB will actually get the pass off.
Is there a way to assign a CPU team a CPB other than using 2 controllers at the game setup screen? I tried a quick experiment where I played against Houston (Air Raid) and I assigned their HC a CPB based on Navy with nothing but flexbone in it. They came out in SG instead of the flex (I let them call a few plays just to be sure) so it didn't work. I then tried giving the Navy CPB to both their OC and DC, but they still used the air raid instead of the Navy CPB. I then tried 1 last experiment where I gave Houston's HC (and only their HC) the default Navy playbook (not a CPB) and they ran the flexbone just fine so the issue was clearly with using a CPB.

So, is there a way to have a CPU coach in an offline dynasty use a CPB other than using 2 controllers at the game setup screen (which cancels any season showdown, achievements, or user stats when you switch back to playing the CPU in game)?
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #26
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

I don't think so jello. You have to use 2 controllers. I took out all screen passes for the playbooks and it works wonders.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Old 08-07-2012, 02:32 AM   #27
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
I don't think so jello. You have to use 2 controllers. I took out all screen passes for the playbooks and it works wonders.
just to bump this... doing that WILL eliminate the pass vs rushing preference
Old 08-07-2012, 03:05 AM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0

If he says he doesn't want to be in, he's not going to be.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:58 AM   #29
MVP

CT Pitbull's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: CPU Screen passing needs to be tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrollbar
There's a rather large problem I'm having since the tuner came out where the CPU QB reaction time on screens is becoming a huge issue. They're taking sacks for 8-11 yards at least 2 or 3 times per half.. really killing the difficulty in this game. I can't seem to adjust the sliders to properly compensate. I'm playing vs Missouri right now as Kentucky in year 1 and Missouri should be winning or at least pushing the ball downfield. Instead any this is now the 3rd drive in the 1st quarter alone that a botched screeen resulting in a huge sack by my D has resulted in them losing a drive.

This is not a game breaker .. but it's a difficulty/realism killer. If I keep winning games I shouldn't because the CPU can't run a screen pass properly and keeps taking huge losses every other drive why continue to play? Cmon EA ffs. I've been so positive about this game but this is really one thing I can't get around.

Not to rant but to show the accommodations I've had to make to this game to make it playable/difficult enough thus far:

-Edited out all coaches who use the spread or option (CPU can't run an optin play to save it's life)
-Edited all coaches to ease up on their blitzing
-Tuned by rush defence to a 10

I'm tempted to try Heisman but I hate using the max difficulty for EA games because they tend to just make the CPU cheat more instead of actually being smarter. Ugh. This is really annoying the hell out of me. I'm actually considering making a damn playbook for all CPU games with no screen passes, and no option plays. Wtf. Why should that thought even occur to me?

Anyways. Sorry for the semi rant and I apologize if this belongs in impressions but I don't see any threads about this, what I consider a large issue.
dont be sorry dude, you, like the rest of us paid good money for a football simulation ..it is EA that should be appologizing to all of us who are left with trying to fix this issue for them just to get a decent game vs the cpu...i would love to see a write up from EA on how much time is spent testing its product before it accually hits the shelves...and who does this testing?? is it people who know anything about football or is it the dev teams 10 year old sons and daughters?? with the amount of release date problems with this game year after year i am wondering if it is even tested at all...ohh wait WE are the one who test the game...ahhh i see

as to the OP i have definitely found adjusting the playbook of the cpus team to pro style helps a lot...it seems the spread and multiple offenses run a screen every 4 downs.. i have accually had ohio state run the same screen on 1st 2nd and 3rd downs in the same series back to back..it gets old quick when every third and long situation the cpu has they run the same shotgun HB screen for a sack and a loss of 15 yards...this game often makes me wanna just turn the game off and go play call of duty ....i hope madden 13 is on point because im losing hope with video game football from EA ...which is the reason i own a gaming console in the first place...I LOVE FOOTBALL but EA recently has made me HATE "VIDEO GAME" football

Last edited by CT Pitbull; 08-07-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 3

When I get home tonight I will post my coaches philosophies and my sliders that I have been using. Ever since I switch this stuff I have not had any problems with the computer. They do not run hurry up after the first play and I see maybe 3-4 screen plays a game. It could be all in my head, but this is what I have been noticing. The hurry up thing was killing me. It did not make sense. I am not saying I fixed anything, but the game has been playing a lot better for me to my liking. The only time i get sacks on screen plays is if I am blitzing already, but I have been getting burned on the screen plays when they cpu decides to call them.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #31
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrollbar
just to bump this... doing that WILL eliminate the pass vs rushing preference
I noticed that. Both controller profiles have to have the same rosters and settings set and it works the correct way.

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #32
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27

I'll probably just deal with it and hope EA comes out with some kind of tuner/patch for it. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult for them to tune it so the CPU QB releases the ball a little bit earlier on screen plays.

Worst case, I'll just edit the CPU playbooks.

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »