Home

Awareness & Acceleration

This is a discussion on Awareness & Acceleration within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
Awareness & Acceleration

Well I've been playing NCAA 13 for about a 3 weeks now and after doing some edits on player ratings and adjusting sliders, I wanted to get back to square 1. My main issue was the high MCV ratings of average CBs covering top notch receivers very well. For instance, an 80OVR CB with 93 MCV acts like Deion Sanders against Robert Woods from USC (93OVR 93 RTE). I could shut down the passing game of USC with the USF Bulls secondary which is just not realistic. It wasnt the fact I was playing AA or Heisman because I was intercepting all types of passes from Matt Barkley(USC) just playing 2 man under all day. And when I went back to check ratings the high MCV and ACC even with low AWR was allowing the CB to keep up or recover on routes that Woods achieved separation causing INT's consistently.

To address this I started working on what I thought was the main issue. Top flight WR get separation and CB recover on route combinations based on their acceleration and awareness of the route. Therefore I have matched all acceleration ratings with awareness ratings while keeping the MCV rating the same. What I have noticed so far is that even with high MCV ratings for the CPU CB, the CB stays tight to the WR wen he makes his cut but if the CB AWR is low his ACC coming out of the break will give the separation the WR needs to catch a pass from the QB.

In my mind this makes sense to me, a very aware WR or CB should have an increased quickness to separate for the catch or recover from a WR making his cuts to get open. In the same breath it should work the same for LB, OL, DL, S. I've made the changes to the entire teams of USC and USF. and its looking good as far as gameplay but any feedback or thoughts on what I'm proposing is appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Awareness & Acceleration

I would also explore Route Running vs Man coverage. .
Acceleration can be quite a mystery, as there is not as much in-depth data for the college players as what you would get from a combine. In my edits I have been trying to seperate the tall lengthy longstridders from the shorter players with acceleration.
I know that is different than what you are doing, but all in all, lowering the bloated ACC ratings (amongst many other ratings) really help out gameplay.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfEd
I would also explore Route Running vs Man coverage. .
Acceleration can be quite a mystery, as there is not as much in-depth data for the college players as what you would get from a combine. In my edits I have been trying to seperate the tall lengthy longstridders from the shorter players with acceleration.
I know that is different than what you are doing, but all in all, lowering the bloated ACC ratings (amongst many other ratings) really help out gameplay.
Before my edits to acceleration matching awareness:

USF (me) 16 vs USC (CPU) 3 All-American default sliders

- I played 2 man under for entire half
- I super simmed my offense
1st half stats
Barkley 9/21 3 ints

After my edits to acceleration matching awareness:

USF (me) 17 vs USC (CPU) 0 All-American default sliders

-I I super simmed my offense

1st half stats
Barkley 16/24 1 TD 197 yds 0 sacks
3 screens attempted

What I expected: Because the MCV rating of USF was so high I still expected tight coverage and I saw that. I also saw separation on curl routes and square in I believe due to the accelaration change. Definitely saw a world of better quarterback play out of Matt.

What I didnt expect: on slants and rounded in routes USF played pretty tightly, but the USC WR still made catches based of of there aggresive CTH ratings and the low AWR of CBs to react to the ball in the air. I am debating on whether to match agility to the AWR rating or match MCV to the AWR rating

Son of Ed, I will edit MCV to equal the awareness rating as well in my next test
Old 07-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Pro

Before my edits to acceleration matching awareness:

USF (me) 16 vs USC (CPU) 3 All-American default sliders

- I super simmed my offense
1st half stats
Barkley 9/21 3 ints

After my edits to acceleration matching awareness:

USF (me) 17 vs USC (CPU) 0 All-American default sliders

1st half stats
Barkley 16/24 1 TD 197 yds 0 sacks
3 screens attempted

What I expected: Because the MCV rating of USF was so high I still expected tight coverage and I saw that. I also saw separation on curl routes and square in I believe due to the accelaration change. Definitely saw a world of better quarterback play out of Matt.

What I didnt expect: on slants and rounded in routes USF played pretty tightly, but the USC WR still made catches based of of there aggresive CTH ratings and the low AWR of CBs to react to the ball in the air. I am debating on whether to match agility to the AWR rating or match MCV to the AWR rating

Son of Ed, I will edit MCV to equal the awareness rating as well in my next test

This time I only edited the CBs MCV to match their AWR and the WR RTE to match their AWR. All other roster edits were default:

USF (me) 24 vs USC (CPU) 7 All-American default sliders

1st half stats
Barkley 9/22 1 TD 5 ints 105 yds 0 sacks
0 screens attempted

What I expected: Because the MCV rating of USF was as low as their AWR I expected more separation from the USC WR and I did achieve that.

What I didnt expect: However, with ACC and MCV ratings unchanged the safeties and CBs, and all other players were able to recover quickly when passes were in the air causing all the picks from the USF defense. Also,, the run defense was 10 time better from USF because of the ACC rating so GotMadSkills is definitely on to something so thanks for that. Due to the anemic running game a lot of 3rd and longs had Barkley throwing into coverage.

Based on these findings ACC has alot to do with the runa and pass game. I will now test matching MCV and ACC with AWR. I should get a fantastic game from Barkley this time.

By the way all games are tested in exhibition mode with USF as home team
Old 07-26-2012, 03:48 AM   #5
Pro

This time I edited the CBs and S MCV and ACC to match their AWR and the WR RTE to match their AWR. All other roster edits were default:

USF (me) 21 vs USC (CPU) 10 All-American default sliders

-I super simmed my offense

1st half stats
Barkley 8/16 1 TD 2 ints 105 yds 1 sacks
2 screens attempted no sacks allowed

What I expected: Because the MCV rating and ACC of USF was as low as their AWR I expected more separation from the USC WR and I did achieve an obscene amount of separation on certain routes.

What I didnt expect: However, with ACC and MCV ratings unchanged for all other players, these players were able to recover quickly when passes were in the air causing the 2 picks from the USF defense. I also some some routes that still had tight coverage even with a sizable disparity in MCV vs. RTE ratings. The ACC rating definitely needs to be changed for the rest of the players to adequately test but for now I am just looking at the WR/CB interaction.

Based on these findings ACC has alot to do with the run and pass game. I will now test matching MCV, AGI and ACC with AWR. I should get a fantastic game from Barkley this time.

My final test will most likely be matching AGI and ACC with AWR.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
Pro

This time I edited the CBs and S MCV, AGI and ACC to match their AWR and the WR RTE to match their AWR. All other roster edits were default:

USF (me) 0 vs USC (CPU) 10 All-American default sliders

1st half stats
Barkley 8/13 1 TD 1 ints 105 yds 0 sacks
0 screens attempted no sacks allowed

What I expected: Because the MCV rating and ACC of USF was as low as their AWR I expected more separation from the USC WR and I did achieve an obscene amount of separation on certain routes.

What I didnt expect: Agility has no effect on route running or when a CB needs to change direction covering a WR. It is purely for the juke move and change of direction on players outside of route running or man coverage. I still some some routes that still had tight coverage even with a sizable disparity in MCV vs. RTE ratings.

I want to test PRC with AWR as well. According to the Primagames manual on NCAA 13 it should allow CBs to jump rooutes and LBs to get a jump on where the play is going in the run and also helps defenders recognize play action quicker. I want to see if this is why the CBs are still jumping routes in some cases

Old 07-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Rookie

trrt's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzdwfy
This time I edited the CBs and S MCV, AGI and ACC to match their AWR and the WR RTE to match their AWR. All other roster edits were default:

USF (me) 0 vs USC (CPU) 10 All-American default sliders

1st half stats
Barkley 8/13 1 TD 1 ints 105 yds 0 sacks

What I didnt expect: Agility has no effect on route running or when a CB needs to change direction covering a WR. It is purely for the juke move and change of direction on players outside of route running or man coverage. I still some some routes that still had tight coverage even with a sizable disparity in MCV vs. RTE ratings.

I want to test PRC with AWR as well. According to the Primagames manual on NCAA 13 it should allow CBs to jump rooutes and LBs to get a jump on where the play is going in the run and also helps defenders recognize play action quicker. I want to see if this is why the CBs are still jumping routes in some cases

Great labbing kzdwfy!! I completely agree that ACC needs to be toned way down for most players (as was talked about a fair bit by folks here last year). As for PRC, i am very curious for your observations. There is clearly an excess of CBs/Safeties/LBs jumping routes (and making picks). Would be nice to know what factors into that.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Pro

This time I edited the CBs and S MCV, PRC, AGI and ACC to match their AWR and the WR RTE to match their AWR. All other roster edits were default:

USF (me) 14 vs USC (CPU) 10 All-American default sliders

1st half stats
Barkley 8/13 1 TD 2 ints 105 yds 0 sacks

What I didnt expect: Agility has no effect on route running or when a CB needs to change direction covering a WR. It is purely for the juke move and change of direction on players outside of route running or man coverage. I still some some routes that still had tight coverage even with a sizable disparity in MCV vs. RTE ratings. Lowering the PRC rating to 55 for all Dbs did not do much in terms of creating more separation and I still saw tight coverage on some routes. So I am not sure right now how much effect PRC. can only believe it helps the defense to read pass on playaction and read the run quicker but that is only based off of what I read. If anyone has any videos into showing me what PRC does, I would love to see.

Also I see that the reason Im seein tight coverage on most inside routes is due to te inside trail technique thatr DBs are using during the 2 man under route. It seems to be a very, almost 2 effective defense. The CPU offense against this defense has problems picking the right play to attack against a consistent cover 2 man becasuse of the defensiv trail technique.

Based off of all this testing I see ACC must be toned down for all players. I will have two more tests using ACC matched with AWR and then ACC and MCV matched with AWR. I will make these changes for all players and see what my final tests will look like

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »