Home

Running The Option

This is a discussion on Running The Option within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Rookie

PapiSuave's Arena

OVR: 1
Running The Option

In the past editions of NCAA Football, one of the more fun parts about playing the game was breaking out the option. I remember mostly running it with Pat White and Steve Slaton at WVU and being unstoppable, then running it with Tebow, Troy Smith, and Vince Young. However to me, it seems like running the option gets harder and harder each year and this year the success of these plays at an all-time low. Does anyone else feel like this is happening?

Also, I'm all for realism in this game but the option often is a big play opportunity in real life as well. It seems like the only big plays I get out of running the option are with the QB when the defense seems to just let the QB run right past them while spying the RB.

I've seen threads with this title relating to the option but they aren't asking the same thing with little similarities other than obtaining to the option.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Running The Option

I run the option out of 2 TE I-Form alot in this game. You just have to know how to run in properly. I love it because it forces you to read the DE and make a decision. If the DE stands up, hand off to the FB. Sometimes my FB will bust a huge gain for 30 yards up the middle. If the DE crashed down on the FB, pull the ball out and run the option down the side. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiSuave
In the past editions of NCAA Football, one of the more fun parts about playing the game was breaking out the option. I remember mostly running it with Pat White and Steve Slaton at WVU and being unstoppable, then running it with Tebow, Troy Smith, and Vince Young. However to me, it seems like running the option gets harder and harder each year and this year the success of these plays at an all-time low. Does anyone else feel like this is happening?

Also, I'm all for realism in this game but the option often is a big play opportunity in real life as well. It seems like the only big plays I get out of running the option are with the QB when the defense seems to just let the QB run right past them while spying the RB.

I've seen threads with this title relating to the option but they aren't asking the same thing with little similarities other than obtaining to the option.
It all depends what sets you're running option out of. Under center triple option? Shotgun or Pistol read option?

If you are struggling with the read from the pistol/gun, you probably don't have the numbers to run it. If the D is loading up the box or scraping a LB/DB around the edge, then you're going to have a problem every time. Try running straight dives/counters or run screens.

If you're struggling under center (I/Flex/Wing), well, I can't help you because I'm struggling too. I have tried running triple from the I, but the FB give is a struggle because the DT usually blows it up. Or worse, you just get stuck on the OL. It works some, but not nearly enough to call it an offense.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

The option doesn't work as a base offense IME because it's too conservative to work when you have this few possessions. Fewer plays means the D isn't getting as tired (they don't seem to scale fatigue well), which means the late game benefits of the option are never realized.

Plus the option pass is completely worthless, so that takes out one of the biggest threats.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

You just have to know how to run in properly
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
The Kaptain

gopher_guy's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburnter
You just have to know how to run in properly
I love responses like this.

"You're just not doing it right..."

lol

"The name on the front of the jersey is a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."
-Herb Brooks
Old 07-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #7
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

You can't really run a traditional option offense in this game. Spread options work but using teams like Air Force and Navy is pointless.

The line doesn't block properly and the defensive line goes untouched into the backfield all day long.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Rookie

Black4track's Arena

OVR: 2

Can you Run Option in this game? Yes. Does it work like the old titles or how its suppose to? No.
Some options like read option works but the problem with it being able to work is that it scripts the defensive end to do 1 or 2 things. Either crash in hard or stay at home.

While this can be deemed as "real", if your controlling the DE, you lose control of him because of this very reason which is flawed.

Also the animations are just waaaay too slow and the play develops slow.

Throw in the in game blocking logic and it hurts the option game.
Dallas Mavericks
UT LONGHORNS

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »