Home

Play calling

This is a discussion on Play calling within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
Pro

cardinals57's Arena

OVR: 10
Play calling

I haven't seen a topic about this, so I apologize if it actually has been discussed.... But how do you call your plays? Do you just pick a play from Ask Coach? Or do you go through the play types just looking for a play that interests you? Me personally I just use Ask Coach, but I've been trying to call my own plays but I'm overwhelmed at times in picking the right play.

Last edited by cardinals57; 08-01-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Play calling

I'm not the greatest play caller. Never have been. So, what I do is use Ask Coach. I only call from the first set of 3 plays. If it's 2 pass and 1 run I pick what I feel is the best pass. If it's 2 run and 1 pass then I pick what I feel is the best run. If it's 3 pass or 3 run then I pick the best one. I act as if it's me calling plays from the gameplan for this opponent.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 3

I call all of my own plays based on downs and yardage I need to gain. I also switch formations often. I run the ball first. If I gain 5+ yards I run it again. If I gain 4 or less I go to a pass play. I try to stick to straight passing plays in the 3rd depending on the score. I like a bunch of formations and I try to use as many plays as possible in a game, but I do have my favorite formations. Usually I stick with Ace TWIN TE. I think is what it is called. I run out of MARYLAND I every few plays and Iformation. I only use shotgun on 3rd and long or when I am constantly getting blitzed. I ALWAYS audible no matter what. Some people think that is cheating the AI, but then that means Peyton Manning cheats also. I very rarely go for it on 4th down because I usually do not convert.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Defense I mix up Cover 2 zone, Cover 2 man, and blitzes in there somewhere. I try to make every pre-snap read look exactly the same. I run a 4-3 and rely on speed beyond the first layer for pass coverage and multiple bodies on runners.

Offense is much the same. I run 4 WR shotgun trips with the HB to the QBs left. In previous years this would give away man/zone coverage pre-snap 90% of the time, now it is less than 50%. I am working more on my post snap reads. I do have a general rule though, if there are 3 down lineman I run, if 4, I pass. My run is usually a draw, and I can get 5+ yards on every run but those where the DT beats the block. I can pass deep middle, short middle, comebacks, deep outside, and short outside. I use layers and drags to strech the zones, and know the speed\acc of the DBs compared to which WR they are lined up against to know if on a long crossing route if my WR will be open as a 4th option on man coverage.

After all of this I still throw several picks a game. Most of it due to the computer knowing my timing routes before I know them.

My whole gameplan is 1 formation with infinite possibilities... how does a defense gameplan for that?? They don't. If they load up on the run, I pass, if they load up DBs for the pass, I get 5 YPC and play for ball control. The only thing that really kills me is 4 down lineman, shifted to the Defenses right (to stop my draw left), with a cover 2 with short zones. I can only pass in between the cover 2 deep (usually shadowed by a LB), comebacks, or long crossing routes. If my line gets beat its a sack every time.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Rookie

TomSellecksMustache's Arena

OVR: 6

for the most part I cycle through the "ask coach" suggestions, but in certain situations I know exactly what play I want so I will pick it myself
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratospaly
I run 4 WR shotgun trips with the HB to the QBs left. In previous years this would give away man/zone coverage pre-snap 90% of the time, now it is less than 50%.
I used to run my O like that back when I was playing in a player lock style as the QB only because it helped with reads. I like to run the rock though and that type of offense was not conducive to a great running game, so, I've switched to a Pro Style in my coach mode dynasties. Works out pretty nicely.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I call my plays by formation and can't imagine doing it any other way, but my buddy calls his by play type. I've never used "ask Coach." I guess I figure the whole idea is for me to coach!

I like to run a lot of different formations, with about 3-6 plays in each formation in regular rotation. My custom playbook has 4 I-forms, several pistols and aces, the power I and Maryland I, a bunch of Shotgun looks, Goal Line, and Split Backs with the QB under center. You might have guessed that I prefer to run the ball.

On defense, I am in Man 2-deep coverage about 90% of the time, with a variety of blitzes and short zones hot routed depending on how the offense comes out or the down and distance. I tend to play with extra DBs, and am almost always in Nickel, Dollar, or Quarter. I prefer a bend-but-don't-break philosophy that keeps people from long scoring plays; I've found that lots of players struggle in the red zone.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Offense: Check out the Ask Coach options and if nothing looks good, it usually at least gives me an idea of what I want to run which I pick by formation.

Defense: Personnel/Formation based on what formation the offense is in, then pick my play from there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »