Home

CPU always going for it on 4th down

This is a discussion on CPU always going for it on 4th down within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #17
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: CPU always going for it on 4th down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerPower9495
Using the play now mode I am Tulsa and the cpu is Purdue. On their current drive it was 4th and 5 at the 26 yard line, they went for it and got it. Same drive, three plays later 4th and 8 from the 19 yard line. They go for it again...and get it. damn it. I have downloaded the coaching sliders as well which has fixed the defense but apparently not the offense. This is on AA difficulty.
I'm guessing this is an AA thing as I never see this on Heisman, just the opposite problem that I posted earlier.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 08-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I'm guessing this is an AA thing as I never see this on Heisman, just the opposite problem that I posted earlier.
Same. On AA it is 4th down attempts and Heisman it is the crazy field goals. Both somewhat ruin the game. I wonder what the problem is on Varsity? Wouldn't it be awesome to have ZERO problems in this game? If I was part of the development team for this game I would have a serious problem with putting this product out on the shelf. Where is the quality control?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I've actually seen it A LOT on Heisman. A team will try a 59 or 63 yard fg on one drive and then pass up an easy 32 yard fg to go for it on 4th and 7. Both of these things hurt the CPU's chances in the game.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:31 AM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

Anyone solve this or figure out a work around?
Old 10-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #21
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

Haven't had an issue overall. When watching real football games there is usually some rhyme or reason for a guy going for it on 4th and 3 in field goal range. Like he doesn't trust his kicker, or he just feels like they need a big play to get back in the game emotionally. Like if you're down by 24 points, yes technically a field goal helps, but 7 points might jolt the team back to life type of thing.

Of course in a video game, it is (and feels) more random, but I think what I would hate is just to see them do the same thing every single time. Just another reason why I love NCAA 14, the games are so incredibly unpredictable. I've won and lost in the most insane of ways.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2017, 02:37 PM   #22
MVP

whughes's Arena

I've always had the issue on Heisman where the CPU attempts ridiculously long field goals. What I've been doing is if I'm on defense and I stop them on third down in an area where I personally would go for it, or outside of field goal range where I'd punt I'll pause and switch to control the other team. Then if I think they should go for it I'll just use the "ask madden" equivalent (can't think of what it's called right now) and let the CPU play it out like you would in coach mode. If I think they should punt I'll punt it for them and try to pin myself deep. Makes it more realistic with starting field position as well because I usually am able to pin myself within the 10 yard line instead of always having a touchback or a great return

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 10-18-2017, 04:39 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 1

I actually switched to AA because of the FG issue on Heisman.

I've found that the CPU is actually pretty good in its selection under AA. The only time I see a lot of 4th downs iin FG situation is when the kicker is absolutely atrocious and can barely get enough length for a 32 yarder.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #24
Rookie

CPU always going for it on 4th down

Just had my HC go for it on 4th and goal... from the 22! after an -15 yard option fumble and -4 yard sack. Kicker just mad a FG from that range easily. This has to be a design flaw like the mile long FG attempts by the CPU on heisman def.

I’m the Army DC with AA def and heisman off.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by divinemind; 10-21-2017 at 05:27 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »