Home

Running out of the gun

This is a discussion on Running out of the gun within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
Banned

JHusker13's Arena

OVR: 5
Running out of the gun

I'm having a hard time with running the ball in shotgun formations. I'm using Matt10's sliders. I average less than 2 yards per carry when running out of the shotgun. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Rookie

leathrneck34's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Running out of the gun

Ive been having the same problem with my SMU dynasty using the same sliders. I dont think its the sliders so much as the iffy blocking
Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Banned

H Dot Verseman's Arena

OVR: 1

what kind of running scheme are you using? zone option reads, speed options, sweeps, dives, etc?

what speed, accel does your hb have? qb?

what are your linemen best at? run block, passblock.

I run the zone read option exclusively, haven't had any issues. now, you gotta know going in that you will have more than average negative yardage plays, but you should also be breaking large runs consistently.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHusker13
I'm having a hard time with running the ball in shotgun formations. I'm using Matt10's sliders. I average less than 2 yards per carry when running out of the shotgun. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Adjust your run to the side with less people. Play the numbers game. I was struggling until the first time I read the defense correctly and the safety cheated up to stop the run. Audible to play action pass and hit where it hurts.

Stick with it. You'll find the blocking. Sometimes the shotgun run big play doesn't develop until after you've ran horizontally for about 10 yards. RUn with blockers and cut up in the holes to get your yards. It will work but you have to be patient. It's actually pretty close to how they do it real football.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Rookie

Signaltheescape's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHusker13
The biggest thing i can tell you is to stop trying to get outside the tackle. That is why you either get 2 yards or 80 yards. running inside the tackle and over the guards works well. I don't always run out of the shotgun, but when i do i gain 4.6 ypc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signaltheescape
I don't always run out of the shotgun, but when i do i gain 4.6 ypc.
He is...the most interesting Gamer in the world. j/k

IME, zone reads and counters (provided your guy is tall enough to avoid the glitch) work well and open up play action possibilities.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

^This. This year, the SG Counters seem to work much better than years past (minus the glitch, which I have not experienced yet *knocks on wood*). The only plays that I have not been able to run successfully out of the shot gun are FK Jet Sweeps, where the CB follows the WR and my HB gets blown up in the backfield because the CB sees the play coming (which I can blame myself for, for not reading the D properly). My suggestion is like others have said: stick with it and don't try to bounce it outside all the time, and above all else, be patient!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

I play almost exclusively out've the gun, and while some games are hit and miss, I have found that attacking the line opens up alot more holes then stretching the play horizontally.

Once you get the ball, instead of going directly left or right, take an angle towards the line. It forces the LBs to come up to you, and they have a better chance of being sealed and letting you go outside, and if there is a cutback lane, its much easier to hit. Even if they just get blocked and there isn't a huge hole, as long as youre patient (do not sprint until you have a hole or the edge) you should be able to pick up easy yards.

Since I adopted this method, I probably went from 3 ypc in the gun to over 5.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »