Home

Service Academies Draft?

This is a discussion on Service Academies Draft? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
Rookie

JMU_Devil_Dawg's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Service Academies Draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejfalcon9
I don't know for sure about Navy or Air Force ,but I chose Army because I know they just recently started allowing their athletes to forgo their tour of duty if they want to take a shot at being drafted into the NFL.
Sir, this is not accurate.

The Department of the Army was allowing that prior to 2008. But the Department of Defense smacked the Army down because the Department of the Army was ignoring Department of Defense policies. The Department of the Army got in line with the rest of the DOD.

ESPN story: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3502211

Semper Fidelis.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
Pro

Sdrawkcab321's Arena

OVR: 5

Yea the whole draft situation is very flawed no matter what team you are. I had a 99 QB at army who won the heisman and didn't get drafted and same situation when I went to Miami
Old 08-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Including what JMU said, the player that they "let forgo his Tour of Duty" so that he could play in the NFL in 2008 was ordered the day after he agreed to terms with the Lions that he was to serve his two remaining years.

And, let's just look at a history of 'Service Academy Drafts'.

Air Force - 7 total (None since 1999)
Navy - 17 total (None since 1998)
Army - 37 total (2 since 1969, 1 in 1997, 1 in 2008)

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
The Service Academies are at a disadvantage in the game because their primary selling point isn't reflected in the pitches. Same with religious schools like BYU or Baylor.
I would think it would be the opposite. They are not restrained by the religious or military aspect in the game. In real life, the military commitment or the religious affiliation of these schools is actually a recruiting disadvantage to them in the grand scheme of things.

Sure some kids want to serve their country and others want to go to a religious school but many more would never consider these schools. In the game, you can get any recruit as these schools.

Unless you were saying that there are other disadvantages in the game to compensate, such as no drafted players and low academic prestige, I have to disagree with your point.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
MVP

Ejfalcon9's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMU_Devil_Dawg
Sir, this is not accurate.

The Department of the Army was allowing that prior to 2008. But the Department of Defense smacked the Army down because the Department of the Army was ignoring Department of Defense policies. The Department of the Army got in line with the rest of the DOD.

ESPN story: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3502211

Semper Fidelis.
Oh alright I hadn't heard that. When I started playing this dynasty I did a quick search and found that rule that the Army would allow their graduates to go into the draft. That must have been from before the article you mentioned came out. Oh well, in my dynasties universe i'm just gonna pretend that rule is still in affect.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
I would think it would be the opposite. They are not restrained by the religious or military aspect in the game. In real life, the military commitment or the religious affiliation of these schools is actually a recruiting disadvantage to them in the grand scheme of things.

Sure some kids want to serve their country and others want to go to a religious school but many more would never consider these schools. In the game, you can get any recruit as these schools.

Unless you were saying that there are other disadvantages in the game to compensate, such as no drafted players and low academic prestige, I have to disagree with your point.
Those are already accounted for in their dismal "Pro Potential" and "Campus Atmosphere" ratings. Yeah, BYU is a horrid place to go if you wanna party and Army's commitments scare some people away - but there is no corresponding bonus for players who actually want those things.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »