Home

stopping the spread offense

This is a discussion on stopping the spread offense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
stopping the spread offense

How in the world do you stop the spread ? If people line-up in a 4 WR flex formation , I have not found anyway to stop them and I have tried everything I know. The run blocking out of these formations is very overpowering , can someone help ?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: stopping the spread offense

I'm a spread user, and I like to think I know a far amount because that's what I ran when I played ball. One of the most important things is to disguise your defense looks, the spread uses lots of audibles to get the best match up on the defense, a lot of the attention being focused on the safties. For instance, a good spread user will audible to a run play when you two safties over the top, so if you can bring a good blitz package with two men over the top it'll help confuse the offense. Basically never appear to be doing what your actually doing.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Leyenda

RoundingThird's Arena

OVR: 30

Yeah, I just played a tough game against the spread. The best way to stop it is use man coverage and or a blitz in man coverage.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Po1soNNN
Yeah, I just played a tough game against the spread. The best way to stop it is use man coverage and or a blitz in man coverage.
Any good spread player will eat blitzes for lunch.

There is no real way to stop the spread. Ball control running game, play for position time, score every drive with long drives and hope for a turnover or two might help though.

Hide your formations, cover 2 zone, cover 2 man, cover 3, cover 1 blitz with the same shifts (fake blitz, press, back off, etc..) Make them guess at what you are doing.

Also do not ignore the run! A good spread player should be able to get 150-200 ypg rushing with the HB and QB, WITH 4 WRs on the field.

Last edited by stratospaly; 08-20-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

You need to be equally aggressive against them without blitzing an extra person.

it can be stopped, particularly with a strong hard hitting defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »