Home

EA should at least address this no huddle mess

This is a discussion on EA should at least address this no huddle mess within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #65
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
better get back to painting some happy little trees bob.

i don't think you can snap a ball complete a 40 yard pass, line up and down the ball in 12 seconds. especially if the clock was running prior to the snap.
Are you kidding?

The clock stops after a first down until the ball is set. They could snap the ball with very few seconds taken off the clock if all they were doing is downing it. Happens all the time with any team. They could also get the play call from the sideline while running that 40 yards allowing them to get an actually play off in ~ 12 seconds.

Is that a little fast? Maybe. But so is the overall player speed and game. Who plays 15-min quarters? Nobody I know. So you can play quarters that are 1/3 to 2/3 as long as real life and have players that move considerably faster than real life but you can't have your no huddle slightly faster than real life?

The solution is to make it considerably longer than real life in a game that is considerably faster than real life? And the way you do that is to use unrealistic and out of place animations?

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #66
Pro

majesty95's Arena

OVR: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
But not every team is Oregon.
Did you watch Auburn? Southern Miss? UNC this year. Clemson. Houston. Texas A&M this year. Virginia Tech this year. West Virginia this year. Oklahoma State... The list goes on.

Also, let's assume Oregon is slightly faster than the rest of these teams (which they aren't necessarily). Are you suggesting that Oregon shouldn't be able to play in game at the tempo they do in real life?

Twitter - Twitch - Facebook - Website
Old 08-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: EA should at least address this no huddle mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
better get back to painting some happy little trees bob.

i don't think you can snap a ball complete a 40 yard pass, line up and down the ball in 12 seconds. especially if the clock was running prior to the snap.
Why would I lie when the truth is good enough? If memory serves, there was 3-4 seconds left when the clock started up after the big play (for whatever it is worth I play on very fast with speed all the way jacked up), I should have had literally 1 second left. Heck I would have been fine with the clock running out as I was about to spike it because that is fair enough. Fact of the matter is this, I didn't even get a chance to snap the ball because my WR was confused and couldn't hear the play at home. Why are some of you defending this?

It is just a typical OS response. Do whatever it takes and go out on any limb to protect and defend a beloved company and it's mediocre title. We give example after example about how a thing is broken and it is met with "well, if the chain gang was carrying 35 pound poles and was going up the field at a pace of 3 miles per hour, then maybe there would not have been time but it is also depending on how fast the ref got to the new LOS and if he was wearing Nike free runs then maybe he would get their even quicker." If the game found time to make my WR go into the miscommunication animation, then why would there not be time to run another play or at least give me an attempt to spike the ball with the clock running out before I hit A (heck, I probably would not even of made the FG because my kicker is garbage).

Went from having an awesome/close game to "what the **** was that?"

Last edited by DrPhibes; 08-23-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #68
Rookie

mnAD28's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhibes
Why would I lie when the truth is good enough? If memory serves, there was 3-4 seconds left when the clock started up after the big play (for whatever it is worth I play on very fast with speed all the way jacked up), I should have had literally 1 second left. Heck I would have been fine with the clock running out as I was about to spike it because that is fair enough. Fact of the matter is this, I didn't even get a chance to snap the ball because my WR was confused and couldn't hear the play at home. Why are some of you defending this?

It is just a typical OS response. Do whatever it takes and go out on any limb to protect and defend a beloved company and it's mediocre title. We give example after example
about how a thing is broken and it is met with "well, if the chain gang was carrying 35 pound poles and was going up the field at a pace of 3 miles per hour, then maybe there would not have been time but it is also depending on how fast the ref got to the new LOS and if he was wearing Nike free runs then maybe he would get their even quicker." If the game found time to make my WR go into the miscommunication animation, then why would there not be time to run another play or at least give me an attempt to spike the ball with the clock running out before I hit A (heck, I probably would not even of made the FG because my kicker is garbage).

Went from having an awesome/close game to "what the **** was that?"
I see exactly what you're saying. This game doesnt reflect real life, otherwise we would all be playing 15 min quarters on a field proportional to the players. You guys can make all the arguments you want, but no wr will come off the line to "hear" that the qb is gonna down the ball.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 2

IF this is intended or doesn't get fixed then I think NCAA ran it's course with me and won't be buying it for a long time. This will be the second (almost third) year in a row where running the spread is just completely not fun. At all. If I wanted to pigeon holed in to a pro style offense I'd buy Madden. Totally unacceptable.

They really need to either A.) Change to the looking at the sideline animation (much more realistic) and take it off spike plays or B.) Take it off of offline games. No reason to punish the offline dynasty players for online exploits.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #70
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Yes I was waiting for this

First of all no need at all to assume or take a swipe at anyone for the statement they made. It just not necessary I'm sure you can express yourself in a polite like manner. Anyway let's move on shall we.

You would really benefit from doing some research here, a lot of your comments seem to indicate a lack of any sort of practical football knowledge. Sorry if you feel that isn't polite, but it is very much evident in your writing.

Oregon is used as the benchmark since obviously they are the most prolific but look at any no huddle offense at any level, go search "No Huddle Communication" on any number of coaching message boards. Not one will mention verbal signals to WR's, it is always some form of hand signal, color/image board, wristbands, some teams even write a number on a white board and that's their call. Verbal signals do not work for WR communication in a no huddle offense. Some small high school teams can get away with yelling the call from the sideline to the WR nearest their bench and echoing it down the line (If the play is 41, the signal caller will yell 41 to the nearest WR, who will yell it to the nearest man to him, eventually making its way across the field). It is seldom used because it is ineffective and slow and doesn't work inside the 20's.

I invite you to go to YouTube, as you said, and look at any number of full games that have been posted on there and just watch how calls are signaled in. The Auburn-Oregon National Championship and last year's Auburn-Clemson game are good places to start. Auburn specifically has a very unique way of calling plays, a mix of numbers, colors and images PLUS hand signals. Any of which could be live or dead signals. Formation, play call, snap count and blocking are all determined from those signals (with blocking relayed to the line via audible communication). Also watch the first few minutes of Cam Newton and Jon Gruden's interview, like Cam says, 36 is all he needs.

You know what you won't find on YouTube, QB's yelling at their WR's as you seem to think happens. Not at the pro level, not at the college level, not even at the high school level. It is not a viable form of communication, it just isn't. Think about it, why would a team signal in plays to the QB only to have him yell them out to the WR's when a WR can just look at the signals himself? Additionally, at any given moment, a WR can be as far as 27 yards away from where the QB is standing (far hash to inside of the numbers = 27 1/3 yards). Go take a friend, walk off 82 feet between you on a sidewalk next to a road and yell a couple random numbers three or four times. A car could drive by and THIRTY SIX could sound like TWENTY SIX to your friend. Now think about that in even the quietest football stadium, my high school stadium held 11,000 people. A lot for high school but still not much in the scheme of things. You can't hear verbal signals standing at the numbers from the far hash, why do you think WR's watch the ball to know when to take off?

When Oregon runs at its fastest tempo, the players on the field know the next play no more than 3 seconds after the end of the previous one, before they even line up. All a HB/WR/OL has to do is look at the signal board or the hand signals of his position coach and he's already got all the info he needs. Oregon's average speed is 15 seconds from end of play to start of play. Again, that's average, because there are so many variables like subs, outcome of the previous play, officials spotting the ball that are out of Oregon's control. Most no-huddle teams sit around 20 seconds, that isn't game seconds, that is real life time between play whistled dead and snap of the ball. At Auburn's fastest speed under Malzahn (no subs, same formation), they would usually get a snap off after a first down with no more than 4 seconds having run off the game clock. You can see this in both the Auburn-Oregon and Auburn-Clemson game tape if you watch it.

QB-WR communication is rare in a no huddle offense, just because even teams that run a "check with me" system are again using signals/signs from the bench to the WR's. As I said in my post, teams that traditionally run a pass first scheme (Oklahoma State and WVU under Coach Holgo) will have automatic QB-WR checks. If they see a certain play, a simple hand signal to the WR from the QB will confirm they are on the same page and they will run the route that the signal corresponds to. It takes less than 2 seconds and it is automatic. There is no miscommunication.

Quote:
If the Wr sees a zone and the qb sees man to man then what is going to happen confusion.
This really shows off your lack of practical football knowledge. They are seeing the exact same thing. There is a reason you, as a WR, sit in film study for hours and this is why just about every playbook I've ever seen has defensive fronts and coverages in it. The QB and WR see the exact same thing and they are reacting to it as they have been coached to. If the QB and WR see the corner has outside leverage and is playing off, they will both know to go to a slant. If the QB and WR see the corner is tight with inside leverage, they know to go outside release and attack vertically.

Again, the QB and WR see the exact same thing and are thus on the same page before the same. What the defense does to disguise their defense matters very little in terms of presnap communication, after all, how would the QB and WR know it is a disguise? After the snap if the D does something unexpected, most teams have some sort of built in route adjustment to compensate. If what looked to a Man Free defense with a single safety turned into an inverted Cover 3 Zone with the corners dropping off, that WR will know to break off his slant and settle in.

I understand your argument for slowing down no huddle, but it is insulting to anyone who has picked up a football to argue that what EA did is realistic. It is not. It is not a realistic implementation of how no huddle works and more importantly, the no huddle did not need to be slowed down. The game is condensed. What would normally take a real life team 20 seconds from snap to snap should be taking a video game team about 7 seconds from snap to snap because what we are playing is an accelerated and shortened version of real football. 1 real game minute = 1/3 video game minute on default settings. So you either have to have everything INCLUDING no huddle sped up or you have to slow down everything equally, that means Human AND CPU no huddle, as well as the time between plays when huddling.

Tell me how realistic it is that it is quicker to huddle than to no huddle? Tell me how realistic it is that I can run a play, huddle, call and kick a field goal in exactly 4 seconds of game time but to run no huddle and spike the football it takes upwards of 10 seconds (between alignment and "can't hear you" glitch"). I'm fine if EA wants to slow the breakneck pace of no huddle, but only if the rest of the game receives the same treatment. Until then, this is a pathetic attempt to implement something that was neither needed nor requested by anyone in the NCAA community.

Last edited by PowerofRed25; 08-23-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 0

Back to the topic at hand...the thing I despise about EA's "fix" is the stupidity of selecting a SINGLE set of animations for ALL teams and ALL situations...if they want to nerf the no-huddle, so be it...but at least use some logic and variety and effort!

In Madden, it is impossible to call no-huddle plays off of an incomplete pass...I would put that in NCAA in a heartbeat. That would be a super easy fix, just go down the hall to the Madden guys and ASK THEM HOW THEY CODED IT IN!!!

In NCAA, there are also animations for noisy stadiums, confusion at the line, calling the plays at the line and looking to the sideline for a call. MIX THINGS UP EA!!! If someone is calling no huddle, make sure that their players all get to the line realistically (no warp speed lineman running like Bo Jackson getting away from the Boz) and then make them sometimes go straight to the line and be ready to go if they run "Spread" as the base offense, and sometimes get confused (late in games on the road especially), and sometimes have the QB go through the motions of changing the play (especially if the player is trying to aubdible or hot route) and sometimes look to the sidelines for a totally new play, and if the team hass an O-line of young or inexperienced players, make them jump offsides sometimes too!!!

Why use only ONE set of animations and why make the snap IMPOSSIBLE without additional clock time run off for EVERY play???

The idea of not being able to get straight to the line and snap off another play bothers me a whole lot less than the utter laziness and lack of creativity seen by making a "fix" that uses only ONE option and ignores plenty of available variety...then the EA Dev's get butthurt and angry about having a reputation for shoddy work and being lazy....ever wonder WHY? Geniuses...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #72
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Even worse is why did they pick the animation they did?! The animation for looking to the sidelines is already in the game, if you're going to do this, at least make it look somewhat legitimate and have them look to the sideline using the existing animation.

The animation they chose is glitched out like crazy when you use tight formations.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »