Home

The play West Va kept running against Clemson in the Orange Bowl...Is it in the game?

This is a discussion on The play West Va kept running against Clemson in the Orange Bowl...Is it in the game? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
MVP

TN - BRAVES FAN's Arena

OVR: 17
The play West Va kept running against Clemson in the Orange Bowl...Is it in the game?

If so where? And sorry, I forgot the name of the play itself...and yeah, I know there's the Jet Sweep in the game already.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: The play West Va kept running against Clemson in the Orange Bowl...Is it in the g

It is not in the game as designed, with the little push pass to the motion man. The closest replication is the Jet Sweep.

In Shotgun Wing Offset, Jet Triple Option is probably as close as you'll get. That outside Jet player sprints to the mesh with the QB going left while the QB/HB run speed option to the right. It is designed as a triple option, but the read is really tough so I almost always give it to the jet guy. It creates the same effect you're looking for with that little WVU push pass, a really quick outside play.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: The play West Va kept running against Clemson in the Orange Bowl...Is it in the g

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
It is not in the game as designed, with the little push pass to the motion man. The closest replication is the Jet Sweep.

In Shotgun Wing Offset, Jet Triple Option is probably as close as you'll get. That outside Jet player sprints to the mesh with the QB going left while the QB/HB run speed option to the right. It is designed as a triple option, but the read is really tough so I almost always give it to the jet guy. It creates the same effect you're looking for with that little WVU push pass, a really quick outside play.

I spent a lot of time in practice with this and I've gotten very good at the read and I get it right more than 80% of the time. It's easier in my offline on slow speed, but I can still run it fine in my OD on normal speed. I just push A to start the play and then push the LT which zooms it back in so I can get a better view of the read guy. If he stays at home it's easy since I'm already holding A but through practice I've gotten to the point where I'm able to let go of A in time when I see him crashing.

There's only 2 wrong reads and only 1 of them is actually bad. If I incorrectly read "give" it doesn't really matter because the crashing DE can never catch the WR anyway so it's the wrong read, but not really a bad read. If I incorrectly read keep, and I run the play as designed and speed option to the right, I'm screwed. Instead if I incorrectly read keep and I see the DE staying at home, I'll just follow the WR with my QB and I can usually get back to the LOS, which is usually a lot better than if I were to run the speed option to the right. If I correctly read keep, there's decent potential for a huge gain as the DE is taken out of the picture so it's usually my QB and HB going up against 1 guy to the right.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 08-23-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
MVP

TN - BRAVES FAN's Arena

How do I let the WR take the handoff? I tried it and couldnt figure out how...I figured if I held down X that would make the QB hand it off, but it didnt
Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN - BRAVES FAN
How do I let the WR take the handoff? I tried it and couldnt figure out how...I figured if I held down X that would make the QB hand it off, but it didnt
If you mean X on 360, that's wrong. If you mean X on PS3 then I don't know. On the 360, you hold down A just like you do for all other triple options.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #6
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I spent a lot of time in practice with this and I've gotten very good at the read and I get it right more than 80% of the time. It's easier in my offline on slow speed, but I can still run it fine in my OD on normal speed. I just push A to start the play and then push the LT which zooms it back in so I can get a better view of the read guy. If he stays at home it's easy since I'm already holding A but through practice I've gotten to the point where I'm able to let go of A in time when I see him crashing.

There's only 2 wrong reads and only 1 of them is actually bad. If I incorrectly read "give" it doesn't really matter because the crashing DE can never catch the WR anyway so it's the wrong read, but not really a bad read. If I incorrectly read keep, and I run the play as designed and speed option to the right, I'm screwed. Instead if I incorrectly read keep and I see the DE staying at home, I'll just follow the WR with my QB and I can usually get back to the LOS, which is usually a lot better than if I were to run the speed option to the right. If I correctly read keep, there's decent potential for a huge gain as the DE is taken out of the picture so it's usually my QB and HB going up against 1 guy to the right.
Exactly, it is a good play because it is a very safe read. Even if you're wrong, that DE can't do much. If you keep and he stays home, you can pitch off him. If you give and he follows, not much he can do anyway. That has been my go to play to replicate the little jet tap pass WVU ran.

I installed Wing Offset and Wing Offset Wk in my newest Air Raid book and it is deadly. I put my TE in the upback spot and the personnel package looks just the same as all my others like Pistol Slot or Shotgun Normal HB Wk so user opponents aren't tipped off to what it is going to be until they align. I can usually catch then in Nickel or Dime and have a ton of success with that play.

In my Spread Option books, I actually turn that play into a cheap version of inverted veer. I either give, or keep and have my fast QB go right up the middle rather than worry about the pitch man.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
MVP

TN - BRAVES FAN's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
If you mean X on 360, that's wrong. If you mean X on PS3 then I don't know. On the 360, you hold down A just like you do for all other triple options.
I meant PS3
Old 08-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Make sure you're holding X pretty early, it is a quick read depending on your game speed. Start early.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »