Home

Screen and option plays ineffective?

This is a discussion on Screen and option plays ineffective? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #9
Rookie

The ArkanSaw's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Screen and option plays ineffective?

WR Mid Screen with Lee from USC = Touchdown
Old 08-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
MVP

blkrptnt819's Arena

OVR: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebizarrojerry
But the option is such an important part of college, why is it so ineffective against the computer no matter the difficulty? And yet when I sim the AI plays it great
What option plays are you using? And out of what formation?

If you can't tell I LOVE DUKE!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #11
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebizarrojerry
But the option is such an important part of college, why is it so ineffective against the computer no matter the difficulty? And yet when I sim the AI plays it great
I've had great success with my spread option attack (since these numbers are for incomplete seasons, the YPC is probably the most telling stat).

Here's the rushing numbers through 6 games of 2013 in my SMU OD:

and here's my rushing through 10 games of 2013 in my Michigan dynasty:

College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
Rookie

synjin's Arena

OVR: 1

I notice the CPU is VERY inneffective at running option and usually run option sweeps from the hash towards the sideline, giving them no room and almost always ending up with a significant loss. Their animations get all messed up too and the QB/HB lose sync. CPU has pretty realistic results with screen plays, except for the fact they get sacked far too much.

I have pretty good success with spread option. It all depends on reading that end. If he crashes to the RB, pull it and run with your QB. If he holds his ground give it to the RB. If a SS or OLB walks up to the line during your pre-snap reads, think about using an audible to change the play because if the end crashes and the SS/OLB goes after the QB, it's lose-lose for you.

I have pretty realistic success with HB screens, and use them several times a game to keep the defense honest. I pretty much always use screens from the Shotgun formation, because the QB under center runs a FAR greater risk of getting drilled before he can pass it off. Also be careful when the screen side DE has good play recognition, as he will peel off his rush and cover that HB. Then you have to throw it in the dirt or out of bounds or risk a pick six.

I'm not a fan of WR screens in this game because the blocking is usually very poor, and sometimes the WR is so wide I can't even see if the CB jumped his route or not. I occasionally run bubble screens with limited success (takes a speedy slot and the CPU to run zone w/o anyone in the flat for it to work well though). I have almost zero success with middle screens. It's probably me though.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
Rookie

jarato's Arena

OVR: 0
I used this tip last year for WR middle screens but haven't it tested out yet. Try hot routing the intended WR to a drag route.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
MVP

thelasthurtknee's Arena

OVR: 12

Full back screen out of Strong I normal is deadly also. I always use my fb/h-back and its still deadly. throw before he stops and turns around. I try to run this twice a game to short side of field. he slips out backside and no one notices. also the TE screen and im not sure the formation but its ace two te or ace slot strong. very nice, throw before he turns. hb screens seem to have to be against zone or they get blown up unless its a heavy blitz.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
No Place Better

BenGerman's Arena

OVR: 27

I've noticed, if you plan on running the option, you might want to change your gameplanning and gear it towards the aggressive side of things. The Option is risk/reward play, and if you plan on using it you kind of need to play it as such. Otherwise, I've noticed plays will get three to five yards but can be difficult to break wide open.

Gamertag (Xbox One): Bengerman 1031
PSN Name: BadNewsBen

Twitter: @BadNewsBenV
Twitch: www.Twitch.TV/Bengerman10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkrptnt819
All options are not ineffective. Load, Speed and power seem to be though. I can't say much screens as I rarely run them.
Speed options, full back power options are generally easy to run but harder to get yards because of the lack of decision making. Triple options of every kind (motion options, triple options, FB read, wingback read, WR read) are dependent on the read itself. Knowing the down lineman to read will make or break it. If the lineman crashes to your fullback on triple options (or rb on QB read), keep the ball, if the lineman stands up and waits give the ball off to the pitch back.

Once you get the timing of the backside DE (or OLB in 3-4, 2-4-5, 1-5-5) you can dominate with the option offense easily. Spread option preferably.

The defensive player you watch is the one to where your QB will be running to if he keeps it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »