Home

Tom osborne type football team

This is a discussion on Tom osborne type football team within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Tom osborne type football team

they didnt run i formation option exclusively. they ran everything, in fact i would consider them one of the first spread running teams (not necessarily spread option) and grand fathered in the modern spread running attack. i used to love it when they spread out 3 or 4 wide then run a qb trap with frazier right up the gut. that '95 team was amazing.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wryly
95's Nebraska team (the best Nebraska team) with Frazier was undoubtedly a power option offense. I'm pretty sure that's how Osbourne himself described it. You might want to watch some videos of that team, since it seems like you haven't seen them play.

Everyone in the Big 8 knew Nebraska did roids. Most notably, Barry Switzer accused them of it over and over again. Here's an article where Osbourne admits it: "Osbourne says Cornhuskers have used steroids."
Man you're doubly misinformed, did you read the article or did you take the headline and run with it?

Nebraska was testing for steroids before steroids even became a serious issue within the NCAA. In the first three years we began testing, ONE positive test occurred and the player did not play because of it (and that was in 1986, when that article was written). Before that, I have no doubt players used steroids at Nebraska... but I also have no doubt players used them at your favorite school and the favorite school of everyone on this board during those years.

Nebraska's sports science and strength and conditioning programs are INTERNATIONALLY recognized as some of the best in the world, not just college athletics. Our S&C program under Boyd Epley was well ahead of the S&C curve in college football, most programs came to us to design their S&C programs. THAT is what made us one of the best football teams in the nation from 1970 to 2000.

And really, you're taking a blown out of proportion headline on page 18 of a paper in Lawrence, Kansas (home of a rival school) written in 1986 as evidence? That is beyond foolish.

Last edited by PowerofRed25; 08-27-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeamg0dly
they didnt run i formation option exclusively. they ran everything, in fact i would consider them one of the first spread running teams (not necessarily spread option) and grand fathered in the modern spread running attack. i used to love it when they spread out 3 or 4 wide then run a qb trap with frazier right up the gut. that '95 team was amazing.
Exactly. We ran I most of the time but we were not limited to it. We ran QB Trap/QB Draw out of spread formations many times and we moved an I-Back to the Wing to run something very similar to Flexbone from time to time. We used Double Wing (Flexbone) to run all the same option plays we did from the I. After all, all Flexbone is is the I formation from a different alignment.

Pro Right

Double Wing/Flexbone

When one of those slot/wing backs motions into the backfield, at the snap, they are in the exact same formation.

It may not have seemed like it at the time, but Nebraska did a lot of really innovative things and popularized a lot of stuff in the same way Rich Rod and Urban Meyer popularized the spread/QB runs that Bill Snyder had been running for years at Kansas State.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerofRed25
Man you're doubly misinformed, did you read the article or did you take the headline and run with it?

Nebraska was testing for steroids before steroids even became a serious issue within the NCAA. In the first three years we began testing, ONE positive test occurred and the player did not play because of it (and that was in 1986, when that article was written). Before that, I have no doubt players used steroids at Nebraska... but I also have no doubt players used them at your favorite school and the favorite school of everyone on this board during those years.

Nebraska's sports science and strength and conditioning programs are INTERNATIONALLY recognized as some of the best in the world, not just college athletics. Our S&C program under Boyd Epley was well ahead of the S&C curve in college football, most programs came to us to design their S&C programs. THAT is what made us one of the best football teams in the nation from 1970 to 2000.

And really, you're taking a blown out of proportion headline on page 18 of a paper in Lawrence, Kansas (home of a rival school) written in 1986 as evidence? That is beyond foolish.
i said the same thing they called me crazy
Old 08-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
Banned

H Dot Verseman's Arena

OVR: 1

Thank GOD my fellow black shirt fan came in here and saved me a whole lot of time and energy.

And to single out Nebraska for using steroids is absolutely ridiculous. They all did. And steroids does not create strength or any super human athlete. If you don't have the genetics, nothing will come from it. It only expands upon what can be done with the body.

Anywho- I wish Nebraska would return to the power run game. If they could recruit for it, it would be the perfect time. In a day and age of 3-3-5 defense, and hybrid linebackers/ends and safety/linebackers, teams would get punched in the mouth and would have no way to stop it. Under sized fast defensive players would be going faster then they ever have, in reverse as the big heavies run them down field 20 yards at a time.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allworld
i said the same thing they called me crazy
Are you curious as to how to recruit for an Osborne style attack or how to execute it on the field?

If you want to execute it on the field using formations and plays, I will try and dig up the post I made on the subject last year. I had designed on offense to replicate that exact scheme and had a ton of success with it. I modernized it for this year to be more like 2011 Nebraska, replacing some things with Pistol but keeping the core I formation stuff in there.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #15
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

Here are the two threads:

Vintage Nebraska Offense

Tom Osborne Nebraska Offense

The first one gives a basic run down of what I did. Keep in mind that was last year where certain formation were stuck in playbooks so there are a few things in there that I would not have normally. The second thread is up to do for this year (if you go all the way to the end), it includes my modernized version of the Osborne offense (probably somewhere around Page 7 or 8) utilizing I-Form but replacing Ace with Pistol to make it similar to what we do at Nebraska now.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »