Home

Running in the Spread

This is a discussion on Running in the Spread within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Running in the Spread

Any tips on how to run out of the spread? I am talking about online(I can get at least 3-4 yards a carry offline with custom sliders). It seems like I can't get more than 1 or -4 yards every time online. The only times I can get positive yards is on the read option and the defense crashes on the runner and I keep it with the QB. It seems like I am getting clobbered behind the line on any type of defense. I see them go into zone and I still get hit at the line, man get hit at the line, and if they blitz I still get hit at the line. Is running out of the spread just difficult in this game or am I just doing something wrong? Any tips are welcome. I pass 80% of the time so I would be surprised if they are calling for run defense.

Please no "practice more" comments. I understand practice is important but first I need to learn what to practice otherwise I will just be continuing to practice the wrong way. They are not really helpful as I can run just fine offline. Just looking for some basic tips on effective runs. Also, any tips on how to slow down people who have a designed middle run but then just cut outside. They always seem to be pretty much able to get good yardage doing this when I run basic Cover 2 or 2 Man Under.

Last edited by Arronwy; 08-27-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Running in the Spread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arronwy
Any tips on how to run out of the spread? I am talking about online(I can get at least 3-4 yards a carry offline with custom sliders). It seems like I can't get more than 1 or -4 yards every time online. The only times I can get positive yards is on the read option and the defense crashes on the runner and I keep it with the QB. It seems like I am getting clobbered behind the line on any type of defense. I see them go into zone and I still get hit at the line, man get hit at the line, and if they blitz I still get hit at the line. Is running out of the spread just difficult in this game or am I just doing something wrong? Any tips are welcome. I pass 80% of the time so I would be surprised if they are calling for run defense.

Please no "practice more" comments. I understand practice is important but first I need to learn what to practice otherwise I will just be continuing to practice the wrong way. They are not really helpful as I can run just fine offline. Just looking for some basic tips on effective runs. Also, any tips on how to slow down people who have a designed middle run but then just cut outside. They always seem to be pretty much able to get good yardage doing this when I run basic Cover 2 or 2 Man Under.
I have little issue running the read options from a pistol. I use Heisman default, and the handoffs to the RB aren't all that successful (maybe 1-4 yards per carry), but if my QB keeps, I can get a very good number of yards.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

You're going to have to throw to set up the run. I know you said you do throw, but you need to stretch them horizontally and vertically. Most people online tend to stay in their base defense the entire game, meaning they are in 4-3/3-4 even when you're 4 and 5 WR. They can do this because the game is poorly programmed and default speed settings allow for linebackers to stick to WR's and backs in the passing game pretty easily. You need to get them out of 4-3/3-4 if you want to run out of the spread. If you don't, you can forget about a consistent rushing attack.

If they are in Cover 2 Man (the most prolific of online D calls), there are a few pass plays you can utilize that should hopefully force them to match up personnel (or at least change into a more run friendly defense). You should utilize a play like Smash, particularly out of a 3x1 set. It destroys Cover 2 and if you run it out of Trips, you should get the inside slot receiver splitting the two deep shell with a seam/post route. Any 3x1 set is going to be an equalizer for you against people who stay in base defense because if they are sitting in Cover 2 Man, they have two LB's covering slot receivers.

Don't be afraid to keep passing if they are giving it to you, you've got to put pride aside. If they want to take away the run by sitting in 4-3 all day, you should happily throw all over them until they decide they want to change it. If they are sitting in Man and don't leave someone to spy, call a pass and scramble right up the middle when the defenders are run off by your WR's. One or two times of that happening and they'll keep a spy back, which only serves to open the pass game more.

If you still want to run the ball, invest in a playbook that has Offset/Wing sets OR learn to use Pistol. Both will give you a straight downhill rushing attack but from 3 and 4 WR formations. It is a lot better than trying to go East-West out of inline gun formations. The negative about option is that the defense can take the ball out of the hands of the guy you want carrying it. Use Dive/Draw/Power/Counter more if your option game isn't working.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I run mostly Draws out of the spread. The reason is when in zone the LBs will stay in coverage reading the O line until the HB crosses the line. This instantly gives the HB 3-4 yards if he can find a hole. Usually 6-12 depending on how the LBs are shifting and blocks.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Pro

cardinals57's Arena

OVR: 10
Also I've found that a lot of people( from what I've seen) blitz almost every single down. I believe that makes it tougher to run out of the shotgun because you don't have 6+ blockers( tight ends, fullbacks, Oline) to block blitzing defenders on run plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
MVP

PowerofRed25's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinals57
Also I've found that a lot of people( from what I've seen) blitz almost every single down. I believe that makes it tougher to run out of the shotgun because you don't have 6+ blockers( tight ends, fullbacks, Oline) to block blitzing defenders on run plays.
That's been my experience as well. A ton of blitz happy people online. It's stupid because if you're smart, you can run screens and quick passes and destroy them... but it is frustrating if you want to run a spread option type of offense.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
MVP

eyeamg0dly's Arena

OVR: 15

it may not be a spread option running offense but i like to run with a few of byu air raid formations. im not in front of the game atm, but basically formations with with hb, fb, and 3 wide. i mix this with similiar i-formation personnel. it confuses the player into not knowing when im in passing or running formations and they do not pick their formation correctly.

ill start the game passing out of the basic shotgun formation with the hb and fb to the sides of my qb. usually they see the hb and fb personnel and come out in a base formation and i start ripping them up with passes. eventually they will switch to a nickle or dime, thats when i come out in i-formation 3 wide and start running the ball. it keeps them on their toes and is very frustrating for them.

also try using ace spread formation or pistol spread formation mixed in with your normal shotgun formations.

like what was said before, run downhill out of spread formations. forget about the option, it will never be implemented correctly in this franchise. keep a normal run and draw audible available. when you see cover 2 man, audible to the run. when you see blitz, audible to short crossing plays like mesh as an example. if they lineup in zone, then audible to a draw play. just run between the tackles for huge gains.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
Banned

H Dot Verseman's Arena

OVR: 1

I've never had an issue running out of the spread offense. There are teams who are going to be more successful than others.

With me, you need speed in both backfield spots. If you have a power back, it can be very difficult getting much positive yardage.

However, you also have to remember that you are going to have a TON of negative yardage plays to go along with it. Look at Oregon's offense. They break huge plays. They also net a ton of negative yardage.

I don't think that you necessarily need to pass to keep them honest. If you can utilize the inside and outside zone read plays, along with speed options and counters, and power sweeps, you will be successful. You just have to consistently run the dice and committ on the run, and you will eventually start breaking through.

For the read option, the only thing I am looking for after the ball is snapped, is whether or not the end on the edge of the qb keeper side is unblocked and standing up. If after snapping the ball he is standing still, I hand it off no matter what the other side looks like.

I would rather have my HB get hit and take a loss, than my qb get hit and take a loss. You will fumble the ball less, and it doesn't put your qb in a vulnerable position. Most of the time if your qb keeps it and tries to go back around that end on the opposite side, he gets absolutely crushed and you loose more yardage trying to avoid him.

For teams that blitz a lot, speed option, and QB slot options are really good equilizers, especially if they blitz the secondary. QB Slot Option is becoming a big time play for me.

Also- running inside zone plays between the tackles is a good way to neutralize outside blitzes and if you make it to the line, you can usually gain a few yards.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »